ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wedding gift etiquette (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857189-wedding-gift-etiquette.html)

tony de wonderful 26 October 2010 05:51 PM

Wedding gift etiquette

A friend of mine (known since school) is getting married in December.:luvlove:

I'm having a little trouble understanding how much one should spend on a present, or should one give cash for the honeymoon? Should it be one present or two?:wonder:

It's the first wedding I've been to so this is why I'm a bit in the dark.

It's not a gay wedding BTW.

Lee247 26 October 2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9677465)
A friend of mine (known since school) is getting married in December.:luvlove:

I'm having a little trouble understanding how much one should spend on a present, or should one give cash for the honeymoon? Should it be one present or two?:wonder:

It's the first wedding I've been to so this is why I'm a bit in the dark.

It's not a gay wedding BTW.

Spend what you can comfortably afford. Also, make sure to ask for the wedding list. They may have their list with one of the major stores, so you can check to see who has bought what. :)

Trout 26 October 2010 06:00 PM

What Lee said. They will have a wedding list that will run from a single wine glass to a bedroom suite!!

Cash for honeymoon is not normally the done thing.

Also knives and vibrators are usually bad form for the wedding present. Although getting her a strap-on for the hen night is a whole different ball game (literally!)

njkmrs 26 October 2010 06:04 PM

Depends if the not "Ghey" couple have already set up home .They may have most things and would prefer cash .£50 in a card should do it .!!:thumb:

ScoobyDoo555 26 October 2010 06:04 PM

yep :thumb:
wedding list all the way.

OR go for something that is completely personal to you both (that the happy couple will enjoy)

Dan :)

ScoobyDoo555 26 October 2010 06:05 PM

DP

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 06:32 PM

Sounds a right gheyer to me....

hodgy0_2 26 October 2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 9677501)
DP

i suppose, but I would run it past the wife first

tony de wonderful 26 October 2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9677489)
What Lee said. They will have a wedding list that will run from a single wine glass to a bedroom suite!!

Cash for honeymoon is not normally the done thing.

Also knives and vibrators are usually bad form for the wedding present. Although getting her a strap-on for the hen night is a whole different ball game (literally!)

He's a decent house and it's in good shape. He's not poor and could be rich soon if his business takes off. He did mention to me about maybe asking for cash to pay for his honeymoon but I'm not sure if he decided on that (problem with me working away a lot).

I'll have to email him about a wedding list or whatever.

As to what I can afford? Well how long is a piece of string? It's really difficult to say! What would you spend? (I'll divide by 2 or 3).:lol1:

tony de wonderful 26 October 2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 9677500)

OR go for something that is completely personal to you both (that the happy couple will enjoy)

Dan :)

I was thinking about his and hers glass pendants containing my blood but not sure how it will be received.:lol1:

Lee247 26 October 2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9677633)

As to what I can afford? Well how long is a piece of string? It's really difficult to say! What would you spend? (I'll divide by 2 or 3).:lol1:

Depends on how close a friend they are. I would usually go to about £50 for a friend. A very close friend, I would spend more :thumb:

tarmac terror 26 October 2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9677647)
I was thinking about his and hers glass pendants containing my semen but not sure how it will be received.:lol1:

:eek::eek::eek:

jods 26 October 2010 07:52 PM

Well timed post. The wife and I are attending a wedding this weekend. The groom (my pal) has asked for £'s towards his 4 week honeymoon. I don't mind at all giving £'s but the other half is dead against it- She says we should give something tangible that the happy couple can keep / use for the rest of their life together - so when they use it they'll think of us!

I can see which way this is gonna go! Gonna blow double budget, once on a gift and also cash!!

Lady Luck 26 October 2010 08:02 PM

If you can't decide on a set item to buy....

I usually give currency for the honeymoon but make it up in to a little bundle with a tour book / phrase book to go with the money as it's something to unwrap rather than an envelope

Lady Luck 26 October 2010 08:02 PM

If you can't decide on a set item to buy....

I usually give currency for the honeymoon but make it up in to a little bundle with a tour book / phrase book to go with the money as it's something to unwrap rather than an envelope

ScoobyDoo555 26 October 2010 08:03 PM

At least it's blood, and not some other bodily fluid :D

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9677647)
I was thinking about his and hers glass pendants containing my blood but not sure how it will be received.:lol1:

dpb 26 October 2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9677605)

Wife or civil partner ?

ScoobyDoo555 26 October 2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9677605)

It's called "sharing" :D

tony de wonderful 26 October 2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9677835)
Wife or civil partner ?

Like Elton John's 'wife'?:norty:

tony de wonderful 26 October 2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 9677805)
Well timed post. The wife and I are attending a wedding this weekend. The groom (my pal) has asked for £'s towards his 4 week honeymoon. I don't mind at all giving £'s but the other half is dead against it- She says we should give something tangible that the happy couple can keep / use for the rest of their life together - so when they use it they'll think of us!

I can see which way this is gonna go! Gonna blow double budget, once on a gift and also cash!!

www.youbuymywedding.com/

zip106 26 October 2010 10:16 PM

A toaster.
Can't go wrong, and you could throw in a loaf of Warburtons for good measure.
:thumb:

jods 26 October 2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9678084)

nice idea Tony.

I'll check it out, despite having a deep hatred of websites that hijack my laptop speakers (set to full volume)

Is it just me - Am I being a crotchety old fecker? I don't like websites that make noises unless I specifically ask for or expect it!

Trout 26 October 2010 11:07 PM

There is a telling theme here - guys up for giving and receiving money for a honeymoon.

Woman would be dead against that. When I got married I already had a well established home but it did not stop her indoors replacing everything!!

The bride (and remember it's 'her day') will want more than just some dosh towards a honeymoon.

For a decent friend £50 notes; very close personal friend maybe £100.

Lady Luck 27 October 2010 06:55 AM

When I got married I asked for honeymoon currency and vouchers so that when we wanted something for the house, we could buy something big ticket as we had already set up home and didnt need a new toaster or a pan set.

No one had a problem with giving us cash / currency.

I just told everyone after paying for the wedding, I'd be far too skint for the honeymoon and they took pity on us :lol1:

Dingdongler 27 October 2010 07:38 AM

How about two first class rail tickets to Jacko's house?

Leslie 27 October 2010 07:43 AM

Only thing is to ask what they need I reckon.

Les

jasey 27 October 2010 08:34 AM

Not sure what sort of wedding it is but they're probably paying c £50 for you to be there - I've always used this as the basis for present buying.

Nothing more than £50 ;):D

Hysteria1983 27 October 2010 09:02 AM

It depends on how much you know them as a couple. I know you have known him since school, so you probably know him pretty well, bit sometimes gimmicky or personal gifts don't go down to well unless it's related to both of them.

If they have a wedding list, use that pick something you can afford and then maybe add your own little gift for your mate.

The wife will be happy you picked off the list, and she will think it's nice that you did something personal for your friend.