ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Weird internet connection problem on PC via wifi. (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/857007-weird-internet-connection-problem-on-pc-via-wifi.html)

Rob_Impreza99 25 October 2010 01:59 PM

Weird internet connection problem on PC via wifi.

I have an old Hewlett Packard pc upstairs what i use for surfing the web etc, its approx 6-7 years old. I use a D-Link DIR 635 router for wifi and we have D-Link USB Dongles on the laptop and desktop.

The PC loses internet connection quite a lot, if i click the connection icon on the system tray it will say

Speed 78 Mbps
Signal strength good
Status connected

Now quite a lot of the time the internet speed will change to the following, it goes a lot quicker

Speed 130.0 Mbps
Signal strength very good
Status connected

Its usually at this point when the speed is 130.0 Mbps that the PC loses its internet connection, the laptop downstairs still works fine when thi happens.

Any ideas whats going on ?

sins 26 October 2010 07:19 AM

I had a d-link router that did largely the same... until after a power cut, after restarting the router, it failed to transmit any wifi at all - seemed to be a problem with the transformer rather than the router itself...

ended up getting a netgear N router and had no problems since.

Afraid it's not much of a solution, but it may be a common fault...

hodgy0_2 26 October 2010 08:35 AM

look at the logs on the Router

hutton_d 26 October 2010 10:55 AM

Replace it with a Draytek. No problems then.

Dave

Rob_Impreza99 26 October 2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9676470)
look at the logs on the Router

Thanks for the replies

Ive looked at the log but its not something i would unserstand, its far too long to copy and paste on here. I have it as a text document but i don't think you can post a text document on here.

hodgy0_2 26 October 2010 04:10 PM

The logs will show you whether the Router is disconnecting/reconnecting to the Internet, my logs, when this happens look like below

Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:17 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:17 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:17 - CHAP authentication success
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:24 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com

this will give you an idea were the problem is - i.e. from the Router to the ISP or simply the wireless connection to the Router

Rob_Impreza99 29 October 2010 12:24 PM

The internet totally went offline for 36 hours on wednsday, we had an engineer come out from virgin and apparently it was the modem that had packed up. It had been intermittently been getting worse over a period of time until it finally gave up the ghost.

I'll see how the router goes with this new modem, touch wood all the problems were down to the old modem.