ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   UK's best driver's car (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/856723-uks-best-drivers-car.html)

Trout 23 October 2010 04:23 PM

UK's best driver's car

Coming from me I am sure you can see what's coming ;)

Driver's Car

LG John 23 October 2010 05:47 PM

Meh, I have nothing against Porsche, I love them and would have plenty of the models they have churned out over the years. However, I still think it is telling that every time (since I was a boy) a Ferrari, Aston, or Lambo drives past I have danced around trying to get a better view. Not so with Porsche unfortunately.

And just to really wind you up....I got all excited at seeing a GTR today as well ;) :p

The Pink Ninja 23 October 2010 06:06 PM

This was parked in the carpark at a job i was doing in manchester, Very nice car complete fitted factory fitted scaffolding in the rear....

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...3/gt3rs001.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...3/gt3rs002.jpg

The Pink Ninja 23 October 2010 06:13 PM

Double Post!!

The Pink Ninja 23 October 2010 06:13 PM

Triple Post!!!! LOL...

LG John 23 October 2010 06:19 PM

Lol, who needs a double posting error when you've got a triple posting error :eek:

Trout 23 October 2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 9671924)
Meh, I have nothing against Porsche, I love them and would have plenty of the models they have churned out over the years. However, I still think it is telling that every time (since I was a boy) a Ferrari, Aston, or Lambo drives past I have danced around trying to get a better view. Not so with Porsche unfortunately.

And just to really wind you up....I got all excited at seeing a GTR today as well ;) :p

Fortunately I don't choose my cars based on whether you would drool over them ;)

Oh, and just for the record I usually will have a gawp at the GT-R as well :D

Moley 23 October 2010 06:26 PM

I know someone who has one, and it really is an amazing car.

Go on Trout..... you know you want to!!!!

Trout 23 October 2010 06:28 PM

:D

prodriverules 23 October 2010 06:31 PM

found a pic of you trout:D
http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertai...119porsche.jpg

Trout 23 October 2010 06:47 PM

I think that is Walter Rohrl ;)

He has a lot more hair than me :p ;)

tony de wonderful 23 October 2010 07:00 PM

The GT3 is too an obvious choice. Besides I wouldn't put supercars in the runnings due to their price tag - we don't all have Trout's means.:lol1:

May I suggest an S2000 or something like that? For me it has to have a manual box and RWD. An MX-5 is just too ghey.

I saw a Cayman parked outside a hair saloon today.

Just thought I'd say.;)

dpb 23 October 2010 07:05 PM

just a minute

, 7 people ( blokes) found the best , UK car , to come from Germany

Doesnt quite make sense to me

Trout 23 October 2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9672088)
The GT3 is too an obvious choice. Besides I wouldn't put supercars in the runnings due to their price tag - we don't all have Trout's means.:lol1:

May I suggest an S2000 or something like that? For me it has to have a manual box and RWD. An MX-5 is just too ghey.

I saw a Cayman parked outside a hair saloon today.

Just thought I'd say.;)

GT3 has RWD and a manual box.

It was compared to cars of all levels. Of course if the assessment was best value driver's car than I would agree. But it wasn't.

Trout 23 October 2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9672102)
just a minute

, 7 people ( blokes) found the best , UK car , to come from Germany

Doesnt quite make sense to me

If it was purely UK cars then you would have a Reliant Robin v. London Cab ;)

tony de wonderful 23 October 2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9672119)
GT3 has RWD and a manual box.

It was compared to cars of all levels. Of course if the assessment was best value driver's car than I would agree. But it wasn't.

Yeah I know it is a manual RWD but I guess from my post it was not clear I knew that.

If it's a pure Drivers can though how is a Caterham not better?

Daryl 23 October 2010 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9671784)
Coming from me I am sure you can see what's coming ;)

But if someone said you could have any of them, we all know you'd take the Ferrari!

john banks 23 October 2010 07:49 PM

For legal fun, Puma is my favourite.

Trout 23 October 2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 9672165)
But if someone said you could have any of them, we all know you'd take the Ferrari!

...the only Ferrari that does anything for me is the 599 GTO. When I first saw the pictures of the 458 I loved it, but the crush didn't last.

But if I won the lottery I know exactly where I money would be spent ;)

Trout 23 October 2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9672152)
Yeah I know it is a manual RWD but I guess from my post it was not clear I knew that.

If it's a pure Drivers can though how is a Caterham not better?

I am sure a Caterham would be a contender. But is it better? The only one that is quicker point to point than the RS is the insane R500. Brilliant but mental. I suspect it would be easier to go quicker in the RS, even with traction turned off.

chocolate_o_brian 23 October 2010 09:34 PM

If it was on a value for money basis on a smaller budget I'd have to say (biased naturally) the 1.9 205 GTi. Easily, easily he most fun drivers car I have ever owned. So involving and excellent handling to boot.

Moley 23 October 2010 10:22 PM

And you won't get wet in the GT3.

Caterhams are great for the 10 dry days we get in the UK each year!!!

LG John 23 October 2010 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 9672200)
For legal fun, Puma is my favourite.

The VTS was way, way, way more fun than the Puma John. Handled better and had a far more willing engine. Great little cars, although I'd not want to crash either of them :eek:

Dingdongler 24 October 2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by stiwrxv7 (Post 9671959)
This was parked in the carpark at a job i was doing in manchester, Very nice car complete fitted factory fitted scaffolding in the rear....

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...3/gt3rs001.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...3/gt3rs002.jpg

Must say I've found them to be the ugliest modern Porsche. Those red wheels and tacky stuck on graphics look ridiculous. To take a near £100k car and then put £10 worth of stickers on the side and spray paint the wheels a bizarre colour is just madness. I wouldn't be seen dead in one (would love one without the tacky add ons though)

Dingdongler 24 October 2010 12:52 AM

Coming from me I am sure you can see what's coming

No. You don't own a 997 GT3 RS do you?;)

I was most shocked about their assessment of the RS5. Every other review I've read about that car has been less than glowing. Being 'surefooted' as they say doesn't make it a good drivers car

zip106 24 October 2010 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9672763)
Must say I've found them to be the ugliest modern Porsche. Those red wheels and tacky stuck on graphics look ridiculous. To take a near £100k car and then put £10 worth of stickers on the side and spray paint the wheels a bizarre colour is just madness. I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

Coming to a certain SNetter soon..... :lol1:

(I don't mean you!)

john banks 24 October 2010 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 9672715)
The VTS was way, way, way more fun than the Puma John. Handled better and had a far more willing engine. Great little cars, although I'd not want to crash either of them :eek:

Surprised at that as when you took me down a road in your VTS it was skipping around over bumps and unstable under braking. On the same road the Puma was supple and planted but still interactive and delicate. VTS felt like it was about to find one hedge or the other in a hurry. Maybe it didn't feel like that to drive?

Scotsman 24 October 2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 9672782)
Surprised at that as when you took me down a road in your VTS it was skipping around over bumps and unstable under braking. On the same road the Puma was supple and planted but still interactive and delicate. VTS felt like it was about to find one hedge or the other in a hurry. Maybe it didn't feel like that to drive?

I remember that drive too :freak3: - and it was skipping all over the place.

I had a 1.7 Puma for 18 months as a company car when they first came out - love it to bits - gets my shout as well.

Trout 24 October 2010 08:45 AM

Must say I've found them to be the ugliest modern Porsche. Those red wheels and tacky stuck on graphics look ridiculous. To take a near £100k car and then put £10 worth of stickers on the side and spray paint the wheels a bizarre colour is just madness. I wouldn't be seen dead in one (would love one without the tacky add ons though)

It is a little garish to say the least!!

And you can get them sans decals.

tony de wonderful 24 October 2010 08:59 AM

I think that is the idea; to somehow be beyond the vulgarity of the look.