ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Trouble Fitting Gearbox - 5SP (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/856517-trouble-fitting-gearbox-5sp.html)

Jas Lad 21 October 2010 08:45 PM

Trouble Fitting Gearbox - 5SP

Guys trouble fitting a classic gearbox at the minute, have it over the 2 dowels and can get a thread on the 2 long bolts but no matter how much jiggling it will not go further, the clutch fork is loose, not close enough to line up, where am I going wrong? Clutch wasnt removed or anything else, just the box

Jas Lad 21 October 2010 09:10 PM

OK been doing a bit of research, apparently the engine itself needs raised to match the angle box is at?

Jas Lad 22 October 2010 09:27 AM

You wouldnt need to be stuck with the amount of help on here!

timmyajmy93wrx 22 October 2010 09:41 AM

from memory from years ago when i had me last scoob & was doing the gearbox, yes its a pain & we took the engine out, then the gearbox, re-fitted the gearbox & then put the engine back. & yes it took a hoist & a trolley jack or two to angle & wobble around to get it lined back up. It can be a pain

Jas Lad 22 October 2010 11:39 AM

Theres no way guys im taking the engine out, it cant be that bad? lol Just more concerned theres some part of the clutch/bearing/fork that needs lined up

happydude303 22 October 2010 01:00 PM

youmight want a mate there to push the enign eup a bit that may help

carpboy 22 October 2010 01:11 PM

When i put my gearbox back on the car i had to use the bolts to pull it on with. Just take it easy making sure nothing it trapped in the gap. Think it was that my dowels were a tight fit.

P1SWRT 22 October 2010 04:31 PM

You have to remove the clutch! if the gearbox & engine have been separated.

The C clip on the inside of the clutch cover (where the release bearing pushes through) must be in position and the release bearing should be fitted to the fork on the input shaft. Do not engage the release bearing onto the clutch cover until the gearbox is fitted tight up to the engine block

otherwise it will never fit together again

Also the splines of the input shaft must be aligned perfectly with the engine flywheel
i f the splines are out it won't match up

HTH

Cheers
Rob

Arch 23 October 2010 08:21 AM

Rob
Not true, every time I have had my gearbox out, and its been often, I have never removed the clutch. I have always left the release bearing attached to the clutch and ensure the fork does not foul when putting the box back into position. Then position the fork onto the bearing, that part is fiddly but not that difficult. Before seperating the box from the engine I use a ratchet strap round the inlet manifold and the other end round my strut brace and tension the strap to ensure the engine remains in the correct position to aid refitment. I have never had an issue fitting the box back in and have done it myself with the car on axle stands and using a trolley jack to get the box almost in position then just lifting it into position.