ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Banking card reader, who's just got one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/856139-banking-card-reader-whos-just-got-one.html)

Scooby Soon! 19 October 2010 10:03 AM

Banking card reader, who's just got one?

Just opened my post and got one of these:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1375/...96f1689d92.jpg

but from lloyds tsb business banking, apparently I can't log on to my banking unless I carry this with me everywhere :rolleyes: I have just rung them up and asked for another one so I can keep one at home and one at work, "no can do , sir as they are linked to your account" after explaining to him that in the leaflet that comes with it it states that they are not linked to your account and you can use anyone elses if you dont have your own :confused: he still said they wont give me another one as the serial number is linked to your name, which sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Am i the only person in the world that does not want to carry the equivelent of an 80's calculator in my pocket :wonder:

Bravo2zero_sps 19 October 2010 10:07 AM

I've had one of those for donkeys years, absolute pain in the ar$e and moved banks in the end as had enough of Barclays. Half the time their online banking was offline anyway. Still got an empty account with them for moving money into to as can get money out at the Post Office just round the corner from me and is the only reason to have an account with them.

boxst 19 October 2010 10:09 AM

Do you have to have it just to login? I am with NatWest and you have to use it to create a new payee which although I thought it would be pain is actually okay.

If I had to carry that around with me it somewhat defeats the object of an online account and I would swap banks.

Steve

Snazy 19 October 2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 9663823)
Do you have to have it just to login? I am with NatWest and you have to use it to create a new payee which although I thought it would be pain is actually okay.

If I had to carry that around with me it somewhat defeats the object of an online account and I would swap banks.

Steve

What Steve said.
Mine I only need to use to set up something new on the account. I too thought it would be a pain but has been fine.
Read up carefully, I'm sure it can't be used that much really.

ChrisB 19 October 2010 10:57 AM

I've got one of these for Nationwide and my misses has one for Barclays.

IIRC, the Nationwide one is only used when you setup a new company/person to send money to. As I'm tight, I don't use it much :D

Scooby Soon! 19 October 2010 10:58 AM

nope just read the instructions again and it definitely has to be used for logging on :(

also have to use it for payments (which I don't mind too much) looks like I will be getting a spare one next week because I have already "lost" ;) this one

dpb 19 October 2010 11:07 AM

Just for setting up / first time paying a payee with me . Natwest.
If had to use every time logged on , id give up lol

Snazy 19 October 2010 11:14 AM

Have you tried logging in without it yet?
All sounds a bit ott to me.

Thank gawd Natwest did it the way they did

Bravo2zero_sps 19 October 2010 11:38 AM

Barclays definitely requires it for logging on.

Coffin Dodger 19 October 2010 12:10 PM

I've had a Barclays one for ages. Whilst you do need it to log in normally you can also set up "simple access" which allows you to login with debit card number and password but you can't do so much. New transfers / payments definitely need the card reader.

mart360 19 October 2010 12:34 PM

Picked up the wifes one for some research, popped in my card entered

pin ,and got error.... tried again .... 2 strikes

next time it blocks the card!!!!!

wont be doing that again in a hurry :D:D

Mart

pslewis 19 October 2010 12:36 PM

I refuse to Bank with anyone who would make me use one of these antiquated pieces of junk ............ most other Banks manage without one!

ScoobyJawa 19 October 2010 12:36 PM

Wife has an NBS one, PITA :mad:

sti-04!! 19 October 2010 12:39 PM

RBS do them & there a PITA. I just go in & annoy the tellers rather than bank online

Tidgy 19 October 2010 12:41 PM

i've had one for ages now, i rang up and asked for one, they said can;t send one, i said ok put me through to account closure department please and one arrive two days later lol.

Coffin Dodger 19 October 2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9664059)
I refuse to Bank with anyone who would make me use one of these antiquated pieces of junk ............ most other Banks manage without one!

I'd hardly call it antiquated, it uses the encryption algorithm built into the chip on your debit card to generate seemingly random keys for identification and can also provide challenge response authentication for new transactions etc. As it's likely to be using 128bit (or longer) keys it makes it pretty much un-hackable, immune to key loggers, etc.

I'd rather that than putting in your date of birth, password you've made up thinking nobody could guess it, mother's maiden name etc. Much easier to obtain through a key logging virus or some other nasty on your PC.

Your loss Luddite :D

Snazy 19 October 2010 01:09 PM

Out of interest, based on Pete's comment, how many peoples banks DONT use one of these for online banking.

Coffin Dodger 19 October 2010 01:16 PM

Barclays - yes
NatWest - yes (missus account)
Intelligent Finance - No
Santander - No
AA - No
Egg - No

Sure I've got some other accounts :wonder:

Tidgy 19 October 2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9664059)

i think you'll find those that don't are antiquated it adds a physical elemt to the password system that just having numebrs and letters memorised doesn't do :thumb: you old fart,,, pmsl

they run off the cards own information, nothing to do with the account holder who receives them, i use my mums pretty regularly lol.

f1_fan 19 October 2010 01:25 PM

Oh the hardship, having to enter a few extra characters to log in to online banking. It's outrageous LOL!

speedking 19 October 2010 01:25 PM

HSBC - no
New First National Bank of Nigeria Ring Road (deposits by Western union only) - no

pslewis 19 October 2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 9664116)
I'd hardly call it antiquated, it uses the encryption algorithm built into the chip on your debit card to generate seemingly random keys for identification and can also provide challenge response authentication for new transactions etc. As it's likely to be using 128bit (or longer) keys it makes it pretty much un-hackable, immune to key loggers, etc.

I'd rather that than putting in your date of birth, password you've made up thinking nobody could guess it, mother's maiden name etc. Much easier to obtain through a key logging virus or some other nasty on your PC.

Your loss Luddite :D

My Banks don't rely 100% on keystrokes ... so, as I said, Card Readers are for the dated Banker ..... antiquated pieces of cr4p and I refuse to use one.

pslewis 19 October 2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 9664133)
Barclays - yes
NatWest - yes (missus account)
Intelligent Finance - No
Santander - No
AA - No
Egg - No

Sure I've got some other accounts :wonder:

Scottish Widows - NO
Lloyds TSB - NO

Any decent Bank - NO

Old Fashioned Bank - YES

CockLink Bank - YES