ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Second email account setup on macbook-Almost !!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/855888-second-email-account-setup-on-macbook-almost.html)

jbl 17 October 2010 07:34 PM

Second email account setup on macbook-Almost !!!

I am trying to set up a second email account for a small club that I am Treasurer of so members can pay subscriptions with paypal.
I use OSX10.4.11 on a white macbook. ISP is btinternet/yahoo.
I followed the instructions on the bt/yahoo page and created a sub-group email OK, the 'my account' page shows it exists. I used mail prefs' on the macbook and eventually added a new account to the 'accounts' window. This has all the same details as my existing email apart from a different name in 'description', a different email address,( the same as the new one on bt/yahoo sub group), username and password are also different. Incoming/outgoing servers all the same.
Problem is that when a message is sent to the new club email address it comes in on my existing email !? The setting up on the macbook didn't open or create any new inboxes, should it ?
So.....how do I get the new club account to show on my existing email page and how do I get mail addressed to it to go into it ?

Hope that this makes sense.

Thanks

JBL

Markus 18 October 2010 12:06 PM

If the "Accounts" section in the prefs is showing it as two separate accounts then you should have two inboxes for each account. Daft question time; Is there an arrow icon to the left of the Inbox item in the mail window? If so, click on it and see if it now displays two inboxes, I think their names will relate to the description you gave the accounts.

On my setup here (10.6.4, so quite different from Tiger), If I have the arrow close, then I see just a single "Inbox" and when selecting it I see mail from all of the accounts I have (about five of them), if I flick it open I see the individual email inboxes and can view each unique one.

If that does not work for you, then you could create a new folder, then setup a new filtering rule (preferences -> rules) to move messages whose email address equals the new address to the new mail folder. Thus all those emails will be routed there. Not perfect but it will work.

jbl 18 October 2010 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Markus;9661837]If the "Accounts" section in the prefs is showing it as two separate accounts then you should have two inboxes for each account. Daft question time; Is there an arrow icon to the left of the Inbox item in the mail window? If so, click on it and see if it now displays two inboxes, I think their names will relate to the description you gave the accounts.

/QUOTE]

That's it :luxhello: I had never thought to click on the arrow, and yes, I now have the two inboxes I require with mail going as wished for. Gosh, if only all was so simple !

Thanks again Markus, help much appreciated.

JBL

Markus 18 October 2010 11:50 PM

No problem at all :)