ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   annoying boost problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/855586-annoying-boost-problem.html)

musso2010 15 October 2010 06:21 PM

annoying boost problem

Hi guys,

A bit about my car, Its a MY95 UK, running a TD05 turbo, FMIC, Polar Performance Chip, HKS superdragger exhaust, full decat, induction kit and a dump valve.

Ive not owned the car long, but it has never boosted as strongly as it should. When accelerating hard there is an initial feeling of hesitation, followed by boost (which doesnt come in very strong, but is boosting to 17psi), followed by hesitation then boost again. The best way to describe it is like the boost is coming in waves. It isnt hitting boost cut, as with my previous cars i know that boost cut is rather violent, this isnt, it just doesnt feel right.

Ive changed the coils, which has made a slight improvement but not much. I have tried using the std dump valve which made no difference. I have changed the knock sensor which resulted in no change.

Ive driven a few scoobies, and i know how mine should feel, so i know for sure its not normal for it to feel like this.

Any suggestions guys???

TonyBurns 15 October 2010 06:59 PM

It could be overboosting, what gears does this happen in?

Tony:)

musso2010 15 October 2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 9657268)
It could be overboosting, what gears does this happen in?

Tony:)

Hi mate, Its happeneing in all gears, but more noticable in 1st to 3rd. I dont think its over boosting as its boosting to 17psi, which is what the PP chip has set it too.

musso2010 15 October 2010 07:08 PM

Also, changing from 2nd to 3rd on full boost, i am getting a backfire, not so much of a bang, more of a boom. It vibrates through the whole car.

kevin wrx 15 October 2010 08:53 PM

just a thought wouldnt want resetting up or faulty boost soloniod or maf just a few but im sure u no more than me

musso2010 03 November 2010 11:05 PM

Hi guys, Car is still the same.

When it comes onto boost, i can see the boost on the gauge, but it doesnt seem to accelerate any faster.

My gf describes it as if the car is trying to be pulled backwards, its holding back that bad.

Any ideas??? Does anyone know if the polar chip is set up for a fmic? could the fmic be my problem?

Glowplug 03 November 2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by musso2010 (Post 9693281)
Hi guys, Car is still the same.

When it comes onto boost, i can see the boost on the gauge, but it doesnt seem to accelerate any faster.

My gf describes it as if the car is trying to be pulled backwards, its holding back that bad.

Any ideas??? Does anyone know if the polar chip is set up for a fmic? could the fmic be my problem?

AFAIK the original PP chip was not mapped for FMIC. The ones now being sold by Major Sarcasm, i don't know, but if that is where it came from, then you would be best talking direct to him or dbp, who i believe does the map,iirc.

There have been a few with boost problems after chipping. The fault eventually seems to rear up as a code 45, which can be any of the 3 components on the BCS bracket. This 'i' think is due to the increased boost finishing off the well worn 14, 15, 16, 17 year old boost sensors. It can, it seems take a while for the code to show, ie the sensor to fully fail.;)

dan2926 04 November 2010 07:10 AM

Have you just fitted the chip or has it run fine with the chip.

Had a 95 wrx and bought a polar performance chip for her.

You are right in saying it is not mapped for a front mount as i asked if this would benefit my car by fitting one the guy told me no if anything go for an STI Top mount??

My Car had the folllowing and run perfect:

TD05 Turbo
Full De-Cat Exhaust system
Walbro fuel pump (Was told to fit this before the chip)
Dump valve
Induction kit (They recommend panel filter)
Standard fit intercooler.

Hope you get it sorted out not nice when your impreza is misbehaving :lol:

morandpeter 04 November 2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9693362)
AFAIK the original PP chip was not mapped for FMIC. The ones now being sold by Major Sarcasm, i don't know, but if that is where it came from, then you would be best talking direct to him or dbp, who i believe does the map,iirc.

There have been a few with boost problems after chipping. The fault eventually seems to rear up as a code 45, which can be any of the 3 components on the BCS bracket. This 'i' think is due to the increased boost finishing off the well worn 14, 15, 16, 17 year old boost sensors. It can, it seems take a while for the code to show, ie the sensor to fully fail.;)

your quite knowledgeable on the old failing boost matter now steve :norty:

musso2010 05 November 2010 09:31 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to buy a std intercooler and put it back on.

Upon investigation yesterday i did find a split pipe, the one that comes from the turbo to the MAF sensor. But i wouldnt have thought that would have caused me these problems. Im going to replace that today aswell.

Cheers

musso2010 05 November 2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dan2926 (Post 9693579)
Have you just fitted the chip or has it run fine with the chip.

Had a 95 wrx and bought a polar performance chip for her.

You are right in saying it is not mapped for a front mount as i asked if this would benefit my car by fitting one the guy told me no if anything go for an STI Top mount??

My Car had the folllowing and run perfect:

TD05 Turbo
Full De-Cat Exhaust system
Walbro fuel pump (Was told to fit this before the chip)
Dump valve
Induction kit (They recommend panel filter)
Standard fit intercooler.

Hope you get it sorted out not nice when your impreza is misbehaving :lol:

The chip has been fitted for a few years, Ive only recently bought the car with the FMIC already fitted. On the test drive it wasnt half as bad as it is now, But even then it wasnt 'normal'. I was informed the coil packs were cracked. I have since replaced them but the problem still remains. I will put the std intercooler on and go from there.

sedge69 05 November 2010 09:47 AM

just as a general mark what should MY01 boost at (max) in bar please

sedge:cool:

JonMc 05 November 2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by sedge69 (Post 9695539)
just as a general mark what should MY01 boost at (max) in bar please

Approx 1-bar:thumb:

sedge69 05 November 2010 09:57 AM

cheers m8:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: