ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Quietest sports cat exhaust? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/854886-quietest-sports-cat-exhaust.html)

hedgecutter 10 October 2010 09:19 PM

Quietest sports cat exhaust?

What`s recognised as one of the quieter full 100 cell sports cat exhaust systems? Your thoughts, thanks

MaDaSS 10 October 2010 10:11 PM

Sports cat does not affect noise. Just ensure you keep a resonated centre section and a quiet back box and all will be well. Revolution, RCM, Scoobyworld, Scoobyclinic and others do good systems but of course as always it depends on what you want to spend.

DJ_Jon 10 October 2010 10:14 PM

I have a Milltek 3" system with 100 cell sports cat & it's a very quiet system, although not cheap at around a grand.

hedgecutter 10 October 2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaDaSS (Post 9647233)
Sports cat does not affect noise. Just ensure you keep a resonated centre section and a quiet back box and all will be well. Revolution, RCM, Scoobyworld, Scoobyclinic and others do good systems but of course as always it depends on what you want to spend.

I am after a complete system,so I don`t want to mix and match. I`d prefer something that is going to last, and may replace the manifold pipes as well. I have heard some say that Milltec are not that easy to live with day to day ?! Thanks for your replies
Leb

MaDaSS 10 October 2010 11:38 PM

Mix n match is not an issue when all parts are stainless anyway but of course a whole system makes sense if you are buying all at once :)
As I said above, the main noise issues come from the centre pipe and back boxes, so no matter what centre pipe you get if it is resonated then that is as good as it gets for noise reduction there. The other main difference will then be in what back box you have bought. Blitz Nur are good but I have no experience of the noise.
I currently have a Thundercat sports downpipe, non-resonated centre section and a Scoobyworld Racebox back box. I have a Ninja 1 in the shed as this was too loud for me having had it for years I wanted something quieter. I think most of the exhausts could come with the quiet "stealth" option nowadays anyway. Not all of us want the noise.
I personally like the Scoobyworld stuff.

DJ_Jon 11 October 2010 07:34 AM

Milltek is very easy to live with on a day to day basis, it's nearly as quiet as the std sti system at 70mph.

banny sti 11 October 2010 07:54 AM

I have a revolution style 3" exhaust with a decat and measured at sso was 89db @ 4k rpm

Banny

s70rjw 12 October 2010 07:21 PM

Another vote for Milltek here.

hedgecutter 12 October 2010 10:17 PM

Thanks for that!

daz1968 12 October 2010 10:33 PM

haywood and scott will build what you want and the quality is very good. The cheapest option if going 2.5 dia is a used prodrive downpipe and a cat back system. Thats what i would do unless i needed 3 inch dia.

hedgecutter 12 October 2010 10:50 PM

Thanks Daz; would you notice a big difference in performance between 3" and 2.5" ? Would 3" be noticably louder ? Questions questions

mickh25 31 October 2010 11:09 PM

i have a spec d and what to change my full system but want to keep the same noise ie very quite. anyone got an ideas as i want to get more power out of it with a remap also and fuel pump etc

DJ_Jon 01 November 2010 08:56 AM

I've got the Milltek 3" system with the 100 cell sports cat. Its louder than a std exhaust, but very pleasant & on a run at 70 its very quiet indeed, certainly no droning.

hedgecutter 01 November 2010 09:24 PM

Still not sold that immaculate motor, DJ Jon? Surprised! I would have bought if I could justify/afford 3 Subaru`s.

SkydiveMacca 01 November 2010 10:03 PM

Speak to ExhaustsUK.com - they'll build you any system you want for a very good price. Quality and service is excellent and they can make it as quiet or loud as you want :)

DJ_Jon 01 November 2010 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 9688856)
Still not sold that immaculate motor, DJ Jon? Surprised! I would have bought if I could justify/afford 3 Subaru`s.

Nothin but timwasters it seems. I'm happy to hang onto it :)

Luminous 01 November 2010 11:40 PM

Magnex and Milltek are meant to be the quietest systems. I've been out in a classic scooby that a had a full Magnex system on it and it was no different to standard in terms of noise.

As for a 100 cell cat making a difference in noise levels, they can. The one I had on mine made a difference. You could actually hear the turbo spool up with the 100 cell cat on, with a standard cat I very rarely actually heard the turbo. Note, for this comparison the rest of the exhaust was left alone....can anyone say MOT ;) (100 cell cat was not enough for mine by itself after it was modded)

turboturner 01 November 2010 11:54 PM

Im running a Milltek full system no cats and on its last track day It measured 96db at 4k and failed the drive by noise test But I don't drive the car everyday so i'm not changing it because it sounds awesome:)
Just wish there was more tunnels in West yorkshire:(