ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   advice on headers (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/854607-advice-on-headers.html)

treesplitter 08 October 2010 07:25 PM

advice on headers

Hi folks,
I have a '99 version 5 sti type r and im looking for a set of uprated headers for it - anyone got any recommendations? been looking at both equal and unequal length headers as losing the scooby rumble isnt a problem for me (more interested in HP gains) - anyone recommend a decent set of headers?

ps, want to keep turbo in original location so twisted headers aren't really a option.

TonyBurns 08 October 2010 07:30 PM

Some GT2 spec headers, have a chat with Harvey, he can point you in the right direction, but note, new headers, need remap.

Tony:)

vulnax999 08 October 2010 09:31 PM

Agreed, ask Harvey, untill you go looking for extreme power Harvey's ported headers rule.

Big bore headers help the high BHP / top end but hammer the mid range power & torque .. need special attention to get best of both worlds so bear in mind what you wanna use the car for!

Apostle 09 October 2010 12:33 AM

Hmmh...

RCM wrapped 3 bolt headers with hybrid up-pipe from Harvey Smith gave me no loss in spool, another 65lb of torque at midrange / 3500rpm and a beautiful throaty wail to boot.... :notworthy

Other inferior 'products' may cause lack of bottom to mid so choose carefully. :nono:

A

stedee 09 October 2010 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 9644046)
RCM wrapped 3 bolt headers with hybrid up-pipe from Harvey Smith gave me no loss in spool, another 65lb of torque at midrange / 3500rpm and a beautiful throaty wail to boot.... :notworthy

Other inferior 'products' may cause lack of bottom to mid so choose carefully. :nono:

A

yeah but bet you arent running standard turbo though.

i would of thought a header change would come with a bigger turbo rather than on its own if you want more power.

chrisdicko 09 October 2010 04:35 AM

Would ported headers be a better option? Depending on mods etc.

But as above, speak to Harvey.

vulnax999 09 October 2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 9644065)
yeah but bet you arent running standard turbo though.

i would of thought a header change would come with a bigger turbo rather than on its own if you want more power.

My mapper said the same - leave headers until using bigger turbo / forged build.

BLACK V5 09 October 2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by vulnax999 (Post 9644315)
My mapper said the same - leave headers until using bigger turbo / forged build.

Yes leave headers. What are we all turning into americans. Its a bloody manifold.

stedee 09 October 2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLACK V5 (Post 9644406)
Yes leave headers. What are we all turning into americans. Its a bloody manifold.

lol ive even started using headers everyone else does

if you cant beat em - join em

harvey 09 October 2010 10:35 PM

I assume you have a VF28 and I am sure you will be impressed, as numerous other people on this board have been with my ported headers and matched uppipe. Your car will feel crisper, make more torque and more willing to rev higher up the rev range and extend the power band with no down sides.

prodriverules 09 October 2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9645487)
I assume you have a VF28 and I am sure you will be impressed, as numerous other people on this board have been with my ported headers and matched uppipe. Your car will feel crisper, make more torque and more willing to rev higher up the rev range and extend the power band with no down sides.

God has spoken:notworthy:D