ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   MX5 - is it worth the humiliation? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/854440-mx5-is-it-worth-the-humiliation.html)

Dunk 07 October 2010 03:05 PM

MX5 - is it worth the humiliation?

Increasingly tempted to get one as the summer pricing premium has now dropped away and as little as £1k could get you a reasonable toy. Only question is who has the bigger laugh, those driving it or those pointing at a 40 yr old driving it?

D

Turbo2 07 October 2010 03:22 PM

Our neighbours bought a mint low mileage "03" one last week. Silver with nice alloys. I have to admit to a little secretive envy. She's a 70-odd year old widow with a 12 year old Avensis and her new "friend" is a similarly aged man with a beard and a Megane. She set off in it for its new life at his home in France yesterday, so I guess I'll never see it again.

If you fit in with that sort of demographic, then go for it! :thumb:

Matteeboy 07 October 2010 03:25 PM

What is the hang up with these? They are brilliant. As is the mk3 MR2.

Anyone that calls them a hairdresser car is actually a repressed homo - fact.

RB5SCOTT 07 October 2010 03:26 PM

I jumped from 400bhp Impreza to 150bhp MX5 and had 10 times more fun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/IMG_7140.jpg

Coffin Dodger 07 October 2010 04:33 PM

PSLewis owns one (allegedly), so what further recommendation do you need :D

Jonnip74 07 October 2010 04:38 PM

I had one for a couple of years on a R plate. Best smile per mile I've ever had!

Turbo2 07 October 2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 9641251)
PSLewis owns one (allegedly), so what further recommendation do you need :D

I thought he had one of these sensible senior citizen cars?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...icle766938.ece

53 07 October 2010 04:41 PM

Old and new I think they are great :)

New hardtops look great IMHO, I would :)

http://jinbaittaimxfive.files.wordpr...img_530911.jpg

http://www.diablomotor.com/wp-conten...bigg-front.jpg

Turbo2 07 October 2010 04:57 PM

I think the new ones are too big to be an MX-5: more like an uglier Honda S2000. They're also far too big for their headlamps.

Anyway it seems that the OP's looking at the cheaper end of the market, so why not just go for it. Nothing much to lose. :thumb:

ScoobyJawa 07 October 2010 05:50 PM

Great cars, albeit the MK3 a little more wooly, but cracking drivers machines. RWD version of a 205GTI :D

Dunk 07 October 2010 07:05 PM

205gti....don't put me off. If you'd said a proper hot hatch like a 130TC it'd be a different matter! ;)

D

richs2891 07 October 2010 07:44 PM

I had a Mk2 MX5 - loved every mile I did in it. Personally I think the mk2 its the best of bunch. Most of the people that laugh at them have never driven one. So much fun for little cash.

Richard

fastmike 07 October 2010 08:12 PM

I went from a Scooby to a MK1 MX5..(in my opinion its purest form) only 130 HP but more smiles per mile

TheVoices 07 October 2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 9641118)

Unlike the people who own them who are unrepressed versions !

Fact !

Just kidding !

Allan 07 October 2010 08:47 PM

We've had a MK1, 2 and 3, drive one and you'll take any ribbing in your stride. Mk1 or 3 for me.

MMT WRX 07 October 2010 09:33 PM

I had a BRGreen Eunos Roadster V spec on a H plate. It was one of the most fun cars I've owned. They're bulletproof, I had mine for 2 years and it didn't cost me a penny in breakdowns.

Get one, I've been contemplating another. :thumb:

lozgti1 07 October 2010 09:43 PM

I've got one.Bloody great fun.I'm too old and married and childrened to care!:D Everyone should have a 2 seater sportscar once in their life and mx ticks all the boxes

Just have a bit of fun and don't worry about what people think of your car (from ex Skoda Octavia vRS owner....great car too:thumb:)

wrxsti280 08 October 2010 07:31 PM

dont listen to all the doom mongers out there and their hairdresser comments, exceptional car, very good fun, very relaible, loads around for good money and in good nick, 1000s of aftermarket parts and stuff to tinker with, go for it.

thesyn 08 October 2010 09:40 PM

"Is it worth the humiliation?"
Your previous posts seem to indicate that you are flamboyantly OUT already so any hairdresser comments will be like water off a duck's back.

Go for it :thumb:

cookstar 08 October 2010 09:45 PM

Never even sat in one of these, what are they like for the larger gentleman? :D

MMT WRX 08 October 2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 9643720)
Never even sat in one of these, what are they like for the larger gentleman? :D

Are you bragging? :D

I'm 6'2" and 16 1/2 stone and dont recall any issues with mine. :thumb:

Dunk 08 October 2010 11:17 PM

The ayes have it then. I'd better go find one to have a drive in and see what all the fuss is about.

D

Camoscooby 09 October 2010 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dunk (Post 9641096)
Increasingly tempted to get one as the summer pricing premium has now dropped away and as little as £1k could get you a reasonable toy. Only question is who has the bigger laugh, those driving it or those pointing at a 40 yr old driving it?

D

'Is it worth the humiliation.....?'

No.

Had one as a courtesy car for a while, god awful things.......( and people keep stopping you to ask for a short back and sides:lol1: )

djmisio85 09 October 2010 06:49 AM

Are you looking at the NA (pop-up lights) or the NB (no pop-up lights)

I had an NA (automatic) as a courtesy car last month and it was full of mixed feelings.
Handling response was very good, but body was was quite big, and acceleration... erm, I'm still waiting lol:freak3 It was fun during the hot evenings with the roof down. Roof down on the motorway was also an interesting experience :D my head did go a bit numb though... :wonder: Good quality car though, well made, and good driving position.
The battery was a weird one, with some kind of tube attached to it to get rid of gases (because its in the boot), so changing the battery is a lil tricky (mine died lol, so much for courtesty car)

Supposedly the NB is a world apart handling-wise from the NA....

ALi-B 09 October 2010 08:53 AM

Never rated them and found them somewhat boring TBH.

If they ditched the power steering and gave the engines a bit more torque then maybe it would tickle my fancy a bit more.

The new ones are the worst; Too lardy and the gearing is too tall in 1st ,2nd, or the engine has too little torque to get its lardy arse moving. Once the revs are up, goes nicely but either way its yawn inspiring, steering is even more over-assisted and the brakes are over-assisted too. I have more fun driving a e39 BMW 530 sport.

As for top down motoring; I had the targa off on the NSX twice - and the once somone shouted hairdresser at me :mad: Silly as it seems, the car handled better with the roof on (sounded better too), so it stayed on.

tony de wonderful 09 October 2010 09:42 AM

I tend to see middle-aged women driving them around my area.

lozgti1 09 October 2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 9644088)

I had an NA (automatic) .

No one buys the automatic!...it was mx's lemon and I think just aimed at 2 pedal American market.

I'm no fan of the mk 3 but every mx has to be thrashed to get the best from it....they aren't quick but thats not the point.

And where is this weird courtesy car company that dishes out MX5's!:D

MMT WRX 09 October 2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dunk (Post 9643945)
The ayes have it then. I'd better go find one to have a drive in and see what all the fuss is about.

D

Good man, take no notice of the critics, go and have a go in one and see for yourself. :D Look at the Eunos Roadster as well, I think they're a bit better spec'ed than the MX5. :thumb:

Dunk 09 October 2010 05:28 PM

I couldn't go for the Eunos, square rear plates just look odd.

D

GC8WRX 09 October 2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 9641118)

repressed homo, from a bmw driver, funny!:lol1: