ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   rusty arches , bodyshop manchester? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/853830-rusty-arches-bodyshop-manchester.html)

BlackV3STI 03 October 2010 05:35 PM

rusty arches , bodyshop manchester?

Hi

I have a case of rusty arches and i want to get them fixed (once and for all)

Does any one know any body shops in manchester that will do it? and how much am i looking at?

Is this a common weak spot as with Hondas?

Cheers

prodriverules 03 October 2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BlackV3STI (Post 9633338)
Hi

I have a case of rusty arches and i want to get them fixed (once and for all)

Does any one know any body shops in manchester that will do it? and how much am i looking at?

Is this a common weak spot as with Hondas?

Cheers

Very comman on alot of classics im afraid mate and there isnt any perminant fix as even a good job done will only give 3/4 years rust free.

BlackV3STI 03 October 2010 05:48 PM

3/4 yeears will do me as i will have moved on to something else byt then mate.

a dc5 or a newage sti

but i would like to get this one sorted forst - any1 know anywere

cheers

prodriverules 03 October 2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackV3STI (Post 9633362)

a dc5 or a newage sti

cheers

If you were close enough mate id could do it as ive got a body shop.

nick172sport 03 October 2010 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlackV3STI (Post 9633362)

a dc5 or a newage sti

cheers

pm paddyhoey he will sort ya:thumb:

TonyBurns 03 October 2010 07:48 PM

Sort of depends where you live, but I have used these for getting my Type R's rusty arches sorted and was impressed :D

http://www.newcoatgarage.co.uk/

Tony:)

Neilg7777 03 October 2010 08:28 PM

prodriverules where ae you based
Neil

r1c 03 October 2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9633345)
Very comman on alot of classics im afraid mate and there isnt any perminant fix as even a good job done will only give 3/4 years rust free.

3-4 yrs how come? Iv just had mine done by a guy at work, I hope they'll last longer than u say!!

prodriverules 03 October 2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Neilg7777 (Post 9633813)
prodriverules where ae you based
Neil

Im based in Leominster mate

Originally Posted by r1c (Post 9634073)
3-4 yrs how come? Iv just had mine done by a guy at work, I hope they'll last longer than u say!!

Its because once the rust has ingresed enough to blister the paint then its no good as nothing can stop it from coming back,i sand blast/cure rust and prime it all in a quick a time as possible to get best results but ive never fully cured it as there is no cure not even cutting out the arch will work as you weld the new one on and that welded area will start rusting in around the same time from beneth the filler maybe 5 years if your lucky and this is from experience mate,but on the plus side not to many people keep there cars over 4/5 years so its a cure for the current owner lol

r1c 03 October 2010 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9634104)
Im based in Leominster mate

Its because once the rust has ingresed enough to blister the paint then its no good as nothing can stop it from coming back,i sand blast/cure rust and prime it all in a quick a time as possible to get best results but ive never fully cured it as there is no cure not even cutting out the arch will work as you weld the new one on and that welded area will start rusting in around the same time from beneth the filler maybe 5 years if your lucky and this is from experience mate,but on the plus side not to many people keep there cars over 4/5 years so its a cure for the current owner lol

ok, i had mine bonded, my man said a similar thing, not quite to the same timescale!
You obviously have far superior knowledge on this than me, im just intriged to know how such a repair is acceptable in something like a manafacturer warranty? iv seen year old Diahatsu that have had rear arches replaced by welding, under warranty, they'd have to be good for the remainder of a 7 or 10 yr corrosion warranty!!
i guess thats why this new bonding stuff is about!!
on another note, would you advise to refit the rubber arch protectors, as i was told not to as this was probley the cause of the rust in the first place ??
cheers R1C :thumb:

prodriverules 03 October 2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by r1c (Post 9634265)
ok, i had mine bonded, my man said a similar thing, not quite to the same timescale!
You obviously have far superior knowledge on this than me, im just intriged to know how such a repair is acceptable in something like a manafacturer warranty? iv seen year old Diahatsu that have had rear arches replaced by welding, under warranty, they'd have to be good for the remainder of a 7 or 10 yr corrosion warranty!!
i guess thats why this new bonding stuff is about!!
on another note, would you advise to refit the rubber arch protectors, as i was told not to as this was probley the cause of the rust in the first place ??
cheers R1C :thumb:

Alot of the quater panels replaced now are braze welded/single side spot welded which is lower temperature which doesnt effect the metal so much and will last alot longer.
On the plastic/rubber protector it would fine to refit but make sure you fill the back side with grease or wax oil which will help things alot R1C:thumb:

r1c 03 October 2010 11:46 PM

ok cool, thanks for the advice ;)

prodriverules 03 October 2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by r1c (Post 9634270)
ok cool, thanks for the advice ;)

no worrys mate:thumb: