ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Looking to go Skiing for the first time (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/853811-looking-to-go-skiing-for-the-first-time.html)

vallumlj 03 October 2010 02:34 PM

Looking to go Skiing for the first time

We are thinking about going skiing it will be my first time and the 2nd time for my wife.

I haven't got a clue where to go. We would like some were with good snow, nice pubs/restuarants. I don't want to spend silly money so the cheaper the better.

I would ideally like to hire all the equipment.

We would like to go mid - end of March.

How much would you say for everything.

Thanks

Snazy 03 October 2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 9633065)
We are thinking about going skiing it will be my first time and the 2nd time for my wife.

I haven't got a clue where to go. We would like some were with good snow, nice pubs/restuarants. I don't want to spend silly money so the cheaper the better.

Thanks

I was just looking at snowboard holiday prices lol

Andorra is nice and local for a first timer. I would suggest maybe doing a taster course at one of the indoor snow places here before going.

Hard to price it up, but example of a breakdown is...

1 week self catering 250-300 for flights transfers and accomodation. 80-120 for gear rental, 120-150 for lift pass, and about 15-20 a day for food and drinks.

Snazy 03 October 2010 02:42 PM

Ps don't forget to allow for clothing too, Decathlon do some cheap but good clothing.

bigredrob 03 October 2010 02:51 PM

buy an rx8 and take it out in the snow, much more fun!!!!

Stealth 03 October 2010 02:52 PM

Go to Andorra mate, there are slopes there for every level and the ski school is second to none, they are amazing!!

The place is cheap, food and drinks are cheap (they've never heard of unit measurements LOL)

The snow is generally good and it's a very friendly place :)

I think you can look to pay £400 for a week halfboard inc flights (the Bruxells is a good hotel there) + hire (about £60 for a week) and lift passes.

Andorra ]

jods 03 October 2010 02:58 PM

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinat...49/023549.html

hodgy0_2 03 October 2010 03:09 PM

Avoriaz

and skiing cannot be done for less than £900.00 per person per week

Snazy 03 October 2010 03:13 PM

For super cheap and fun, Poblado apartments on Arinsal, Andorra. Next to the gondola, great food and a brilliant night life. Super friendly staff too.

alcazar 03 October 2010 03:15 PM

Italy................or Bulgaria. Pamporovo is ace.

davyboy 03 October 2010 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9633100)
skiing cannot be done for less than £900.00 per person per week

Yes it can

....but not if you're booking now

alistair 03 October 2010 03:33 PM

Having spent 5 days in hospital with my daughter last year following an accident - I was glad I was in France with first rate medical facilities - it's put me right off Andorra & Bulgaria.....

hutton_d 03 October 2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9633072)
Ps don't forget to allow for clothing too, Decathlon do some cheap but good clothing.

And don't be fooled into getting *cheap* clothing. The first time you go you will NEED proper waterproof clothing. When you can ski then you can wear jeans/jumper and be a real poser. But as a begginer you WILL fall over into lots of snow. A lot! If you can't afford proper waterproofs see if you can borrow some.

Dave

cster 03 October 2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9633100)
Avoriaz

and skiing cannot be done for less than £900.00 per person per week

With you on this one mate.

DCI Gene Hunt 03 October 2010 03:51 PM

Went a few times in the late 80's, memories of new orders blue monday belting out in the apres ski nightclubs of the time.... those were the days :D

jods 03 October 2010 03:58 PM

All this talk of Holidays is too much for me! Not had a holiday since March! Think I'll trawl the Interweb for some winter sun :)

vince-sti02 03 October 2010 04:25 PM

As Above Andorra you cant go wrong, an as cheep as you want to make it have a good look around,
http://www.andorramania.com/
This is the best site for all the info. really cheep flights to toulouse and carcassonne by bmibaby and ryanair both airports under 2.5 hours from the resorts.

Snazy 03 October 2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by alistair (Post 9633138)
Having spent 5 days in hospital with my daughter last year following an accident - I was glad I was in France with first rate medical facilities - it's put me right off Andorra & Bulgaria.....

Andorra is a stones throw away from France and Spain , and by all accounts has very good medical facilities from what I have heard.
Hope your daughter is ok now.

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9633149)
And don't be fooled into getting *cheap* clothing. The first time you go you will NEED proper waterproof clothing. When you can ski then you can wear jeans/jumper and be a real poser. But as a begginer you WILL fall over into lots of snow. A lot! If you can't afford proper waterproofs see if you can borrow some.

Dave

Does that mean you think the decathlon gear is rubbish? Lol.
If so I would agree that the really cheap stuff is, but anything over 5000 I have bought from there has been fine. That said, the bulk of my stuff is Dakine and DC.

Some great bargains to be had from the USA .

All this talk is getting me excited too, I wanna go now!
Got Lanzarote in Nov, snow in Feb/ March and Florida in June......:thumb:

hodgy0_2 03 October 2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9633114)
Yes it can

....but not if you're booking now

are you a student?

cster 03 October 2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9633217)
Andorra is a stones throw away from France and Spain , and by all accounts has very good medical facilities from what I have heard.

If so I would agree that the really cheap stuff is, but anything over 5000 I have bought from there has been fine. That said, the bulk of my stuff is Dakine and DC.

Some great bargains to be had from the USA .

All this talk is getting me excited too, I wanna go now!
Got Lanzarote in Nov, snow in Feb/ March and Florida in June......:thumb:

Decathlon stuff is fine.

alistair 03 October 2010 05:23 PM

Oops - geoghraphically challenged - I guess Andorra should be fine

Snazy 03 October 2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9633269)
Decathlon stuff is fine.

Just not the really basic stuff lol

Originally Posted by alistair (Post 9633318)
Oops - geoghraphically challenged - I guess Andorra should be fine

Lol yeah it's a tiny principality between the two. Lovely place.

jods 03 October 2010 07:15 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-terror-threat

They are at it again! Might suggest Skiing in Canada instead!

hutton_d 03 October 2010 08:14 PM

No. Wasn't really aimed at your suggestion. Just at cheap, *non-waterproof* gear that first-timers are inclined to get *because I might not take to skiing and don't want to spend much* .... And then they end up very wet and cold after 2 hours and wonder why they don't like it ... :wonder:

Best for beginners to get really good stuff. The old hands, who don't fall down much, don't need it.

Dave

Stealth 03 October 2010 09:02 PM

The first time I ever went snowboarding I spent the first day on my arse in hired trousers that leaked like a sieve......... So I went and bought new stuff LOL

You can't go wrong with Westbeach stuff or Special Blend...... I would stay away from Burton if I were you, stuff doesn't last longer than two weeks whether you are in snow or not (my jacket cost £300 and it was frigged after two weeks)

Andorra is bang in the middle of France and Spain, anything bad happens you will end up in one of those places LOL

Andorra is ace, forget all the other places untill you learn to ski :) I paid £450 for a week there half board including flights, hotel, lift passes etc etc board/ski hire is more :D

Bring on the snow, Skate Banana is gonna get a battering :D

Snazy 03 October 2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9633766)
No. Wasn't really aimed at your suggestion. Just at cheap, *non-waterproof* gear that first-timers are inclined to get *because I might not take to skiing and don't want to spend much* .... And then they end up very wet and cold after 2 hours and wonder why they don't like it ... :wonder:

Best for beginners to get really good stuff. The old hands, who don't fall down much, don't need it.

Dave

Good points mate, like I say it's important to look at the ratings of the clothing. 5000 waterproof and breathing are my benchmarks lol, not gone wrong with that yet.
Indeed I agree it's something that makes or breaks your interest.

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 9633925)
The first time I ever went snowboarding I spent the first day on my arse in hired trousers that leaked like a sieve......... So I went and bought new stuff LOL

You can't go wrong with Westbeach stuff or Special Blend...... I would stay away from Burton if I were you, stuff doesn't last longer than two weeks whether you are in snow or not (my jacket cost £300 and it was frigged after two weeks)

Andorra is bang in the middle of France and Spain, anything bad happens you will end up in one of those places LOL

Andorra is ace, forget all the other places untill you learn to ski :) I paid £450 for a week there half board including flights, hotel, lift passes etc etc board/ski hire is more :D

Bring on the snow, Skate Banana is gonna get a battering :D

Most of the clothing lasts well as long as you treat it well. I take 3 sets, so very little wear and tear. Decathlon gear or we'd ze or whatever it's called now is suprisingly long lasting.

Again i agree, Andorra is a great place to learn, and if all goes wrong, the après ski is spot on lol.
My 2 recommendations for hotels are Diana Parc if you wanna go half board, or Poblado is you go sc. Both right near the Gondola, and shops are close by too.

Account deleted by request 04 October 2010 07:26 AM

Andorra is good for beginners but I would be slightly concerned about thesnow in March. It isn't that high and I can see it being very slushy in the afternoons.

In March I would always be looking to ski somewhere with a Glacier.

Chop

davyboy 04 October 2010 09:48 AM

Just pick a date when you want to go, and then book a month or so before you go....

.....at least that way you'll find some snow, and you'll not pay as much.

Leslie 04 October 2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 9633065)

Thanks

Don't forget the cushion to strap to your arse!

Les ;)

Snazy 04 October 2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 9634376)
Andorra is good for beginners but I would be slightly concerned about thesnow in March. It isn't that high and I can see it being very slushy in the afternoons.

In March I would always be looking to ski somewhere with a Glacier.

Chop

Conditions were late getting going this year there, with the first big storms of the year only rolling in in Feb. I believe conditions in March is good there,hence the big snow festival being held in March there. Certainly good still for beginners. End of feb start of march sees a winter storm pass through the range usually, ensuring good coverage. But like all weather it's not guaranteed. Even Canada suffered this year.