ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Driving licence photo renewal (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/853776-driving-licence-photo-renewal.html)

HT04 03 October 2010 09:46 AM

Driving licence photo renewal

Had a little shock a couple of days ago when i got a letter from the DVLA saying that i had to renew the photo on my driving licence, as it was now approaching 10 years old.

after looking at the front of the photocard part, it did indeed have an expiry date 15/11/2010.

its a simple job to renew, and it only costs £24.50, but i thought id give you lot a little heads up, and just a little reminder to just go and check your driving licence so you dont get caught out.

Dan

jonny_693 03 October 2010 10:13 AM

I got this letter too a few weeks ago, how long do you have to renew it?

JonMc 03 October 2010 10:22 AM

I got hit with this last summer, that's when the first of the photocards started to expire (for us oldies anyway:().

You usually get 6-8 weeks notice, after that you are driving without a licence:eek:

HT04 03 October 2010 10:24 AM

i still have enough time left, and it is guaranteed to be back to me within two weeks. :). but like jon says, if you dont do it, youll be driving without a licence.

dan

bigredrob 03 October 2010 10:26 AM

had my licence since 1977, its a big green one, cost a fiver, and expires in 2028, new ones with the photo are another way of raising money and keeping tags on all of us!!!

scoobygreg 03 October 2010 10:29 AM

have to agree with rob, had mine since 87 and mines a pink one

jonny_693 03 October 2010 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 9632612)
You usually get 6-8 weeks notice, after that you are driving without a licence:eek:

****. Just checked the letter it's dated end of june. Bollocks. :mad:

hutton_d 03 October 2010 10:31 AM

Make sure you copy it before you send it off. There have been lots of cases of, particularly bikers, getting their new license without all their entitlements on it. When they complained they get the DVLA saying 've hav no record of you passing zis test. prove it!'. Obviously people haven't got copies, usually, of tests passed many years ago.

Though apparently the DVLA were going to send the old license back as well with a hole through the photo to end this problem. I don't trust the b*ggers so I scan mine in before it gets sent. And it gets sent at least recorded delivery.

Dave

hutton_d 03 October 2010 10:31 AM

Make sure you copy it before you send it off. There have been lots of cases of, particularly bikers, getting their new license without all their entitlements on it. When they complained they get the DVLA saying 've hav no record of you passing zis test. prove it!'. Obviously people haven't got copies, usually, of tests passed many years ago.

Though apparently the DVLA were going to send the old license back as well with a hole through the photo to end this problem. I don't trust the b*ggers so I scan mine in before it gets sent. And it gets sent at least recorded delivery.

Dave

Leslie 03 October 2010 10:38 AM

Who charges £24.50 then? I had to renew my photocard one with a new photo the other day and it was just the cost of getting the photo done.

Good idea to make a copy of it too.

Les

lozgti1 03 October 2010 10:39 AM

Had no choice but to change my old paper thing as we moved address.Now part of the new plastic card with photo regime.

I liked my old tattered thing with no chance of commiting a 'you missed a renewal date' offence:(

bigredrob 03 October 2010 10:39 AM

yes , copy it,your old one, I know a mate, drives for the fire brigade, the dvlc lost/removed his hgv entitlement, however they eventually replaced it.

Mrfastbaz 03 October 2010 12:14 PM

still got my old greenie expires 2028 a bloke at work lost some of his driving groups after he'd sent his licence off to be updated groups were removed by dvla when he passed his car test lost him motorbike group and despite arguging he has had to resit his test as the driving centre he took his test at closed down and the records pass certificate records kept at that time cannot be found......seems that there are loads of people out there.

HT04 03 October 2010 02:06 PM

looks like there will be a few lost licences in 2028 :brickwall

dan

oldsplice 03 October 2010 02:13 PM

Don't you still have to have the green one as well as the photo one?

alcazar 03 October 2010 03:18 PM

You need BOTH parts, paper and the credit card sized bit carrying the photo.

So do they write and tell you, or are you just supposed to know?

HT04 03 October 2010 03:51 PM

i got a letter on thursday. :thumb:. so i done it the same day. :thumb:.

dan

AndyC_772 03 October 2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9632639)

I've even heard of DVLA trying to then prosecute people (fraud, I believe) for trying to claim they had entitlements which have been lost in this way.

Better than photocopying your licence is to make a "Subject Access Request" to DVLA before your photo card expires. Under the Data Protection Act they have to provide you with a copy of the information they hold about you on their computer system, which you can then legitimately use as evidence that you hold entitlement to certain categories of vehicle should they go missing.

The difference between this information and just copying your existing licence is that you're using their own original document as evidence, not one of your own.

hutton_d 03 October 2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 9633515)
I've even heard of DVLA trying to then prosecute people (fraud, I believe) for trying to claim they had entitlements which have been lost in this way.

Better than photocopying your licence is to make a "Subject Access Request" to DVLA before your photo card expires. Under the Data Protection Act they have to provide you with a copy of the information they hold about you on their computer system, which you can then legitimately use as evidence that you hold entitlement to certain categories of vehicle should they go missing.

The difference between this information and just copying your existing licence is that you're using their own original document as evidence, not one of your own.

Top tip! I'll remember that one;.

Dave

M444GY 04 October 2010 03:22 PM

saves you the time dan , here is a pic of you from the last meet :)

http://www.thatyouththing.com/resour...uglyPeople.jpg

JonMc 04 October 2010 03:44 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

GC8WRX 04 October 2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigredrob (Post 9632619)
had my licence since 1977, its a big green one, cost a fiver, and expires in 2028, new ones with the photo are another way of raising money and keeping tags on all of us!!!

Until you need id for a phone contract, loan, hire car etc etc, then your ancient piece of paper would be refused, and you would be secretly mocked by the staff as victor meldrew, the man with a parchment license

its 24 quid FFS!

Mrfastbaz 04 October 2010 06:17 PM

why change just for the sake of it the licences are still valid and if photo id is required then most people have a passport keeping my old green one until i either move or am forced to change it and get a photo licence

Fat Boy 05 October 2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by GC8WRX (Post 9635155)
Until you need id for a phone contract, loan, hire car etc etc, then your ancient piece of paper would be refused, and you would be secretly mocked by the staff as victor meldrew, the man with a parchment license

its 24 quid FFS!

Still got a green one since 1978, have three phone contracts, hired cars many times, used to have a mortgage loan - no problem. I would be so worried at the thought of windowlicking call centre staff mocking me given that they occupy a position in the evolutionary scale of just above primordial ooze...not

The day that I run my life depending on what Sheena or Dwayne from CarphoneVirginTalkTalk think is the day I admit defeat...;)

GC8WRX 05 October 2010 12:59 PM

well done, fight the power!

im sorry but poeple witht his type of attitude get on my wick, its a driving license, not a two fingered salute to the powers that be, well done for saving all that money over the 32 years of resisted change!

Do you have a black and white tv and a beta max player?

i got stuck with no passport in spain once and used my PHOTO driving license to get home, good luck doing that with a paper one!

Fat Boy 05 October 2010 06:01 PM

I'm not daft enough to lose my passport while on holiday so I don't need a photo licence. :p :)

No, I have lots of the latest technology all of which I bought despite (gasp) not having a photo licence of any sort.

I don't think I'm some sort of rebel, I just haven't bothered, but have had none of the problems that you claim could arise as a result. Therefore, it's pish :D

Mrfastbaz 05 October 2010 06:33 PM

as fatboy have just taken out a new phone contratct last week no problem old style green licence still taken as id they are still valid so can still be used..

SWRTWannabe 05 October 2010 06:39 PM

Don't do what I did and renew it in plenty of time - the new licence runs from the date of renewal rather than the expiry date of the old one. Means you might only be getting 9 years and 11 months worth :eek:

GC8WRX 05 October 2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz (Post 9637308)
as fatboy have just taken out a new phone contratct last week no problem old style green licence still taken as id they are still valid so can still be used..

Not on my watch, its like taking a ration book as id, not a chance pal:lol1:

gallois 05 October 2010 06:58 PM

have you noticed though that they always 'lose' entitlements, they never accidentally add tanks and steamrollers and stuff.