ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Lexus = bullet-proof?????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/853541-lexus-bullet-proof.html)

classic Subaru Si 01 October 2010 12:05 PM

Lexus = bullet-proof??????

well, I sold my scoob a few months ago and thought I would go down the road of "trouble free motoring" and so got myself a Lexus is200 - fsh, 1 owner, 60k on the clock. "Can't go wrong with this" was the words ringing in my ears - how f**king wrong I was:confused::confused: Was on my wat to the match last night, nips on the motorway for one juction, then it all went wrong - noticed the engine light was flashing, temp gauge had dropped to zero, and the traction control light was flashing like a good 'un! first thought was, it can't be the head gasket, these things are built to last - must be an electrical fault? So, I turned the heaters on to hot, and all I got was cold air:( Pulled off the motorway instantly, popped the bonnet, and oil p**sing out from the gasket! Gutted isn't the word! Car is at home at the minute, but going in for a inspection tomorrow - I'm assuming the water pumps gone, and it's overheated? Has anyone else heard of these going? Went on a Lexus forum this morning, no bugger on there has seen a gasket let go before:wonder: I'm just curious to see if anyone else has had similar problems before - and a rough price to sort it???

classic Subaru Si 01 October 2010 01:16 PM

Oh dear, jus me then:lol1::lol1:

scoobywrxwagon 01 October 2010 01:31 PM

Sorry to here this fella, One of the belts may have snapped causing ut to over heat then blow. Neva heard of a is200 going.

classic Subaru Si 01 October 2010 02:39 PM

Nope me neither, s**t happens I suppose! Looking at a few quid to sort out though!

The Trooper 1815 01 October 2010 03:31 PM

From a Dealer or Private?

classic Subaru Si 01 October 2010 03:35 PM

Private mate

rossyboy 01 October 2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 9629950)
Oh dear, jus me then:lol1::lol1:

Didnt exactly give long for people to respond though did you? Just over an hour? Do you think people are logged on to here 24 hours a day just so that they can respond to any random Lexus query that pops up? :D

Razorwrx1 02 October 2010 09:10 PM

I've never heard one go. Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

classic Subaru Si 04 October 2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 9630194)
Didnt exactly give long for people to respond though did you? Just over an hour? Do you think people are logged on to here 24 hours a day just so that they can respond to any random Lexus query that pops up? :D

Why bother even posting - tool:Whatever_

Gear Head 04 October 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 9634831)

He has a point! I would have said, yes, I do think Lexus is supposed to be a reliable make. But far more important is the previous owner and how they treated it. Also, I wouldn't class the IS200 in the same group as say the LS400 and GS300. They were proper Lex'I'! :thumb:

jayallen 04 October 2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 9630194)
Do you think people are logged on to here 24 hours a day

In some cases yes!..:lol1:

rossyboy 04 October 2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 9634831)

Did you not see the :D at the end of my post? That meant I was making a friendly point rather than having a proper go at you ;)

If I was having a proper go at you, I'd have called you a "tool" in my first post.

The Trooper 1815 05 October 2010 05:57 PM

Buying private is always a bit of a minefield. Do you have any info from the seller or contacted them with the issues?