ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lord Ashcroft - Tory through and through (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/852976-lord-ashcroft-tory-through-and-through.html)

pslewis 27 September 2010 01:40 PM

Lord Ashcroft - Tory through and through

Greedy, grabbing, immoral, unethical, Tory GIT!!! :mad:

Lord Ashcroft has continued to avoid millions of pounds of tax despite promising to become a full UK taxpayer.

The Conservative peer transferred ownership of his main UK company, the Impellam Group, to a trust for the benefit of his children, Panorama has found.

Lord Ashcroft, who is set to resign as deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, transferred his £17m stake in Impellam on 5 April.

The next day, on 6 April, a new law forced people sitting in the House of Lords to pay tax on their worldwide income and assets.

Tax lawyer Richard Frimston told Panorama that Lord Ashcroft would have faced a hefty inheritance tax bill under the new legislation if he had made the change one day later.

"If that had been done on the following day, assets worth say £17m going into trust would have been subject to tax at 20%, which would have created an immediate inheritance tax charge of something in the region of £3.4m.

"So that was avoided by doing it on 5 April as opposed to waiting until 6 April."

As much a SCUM as a Chav claiming benefit because they don't fancy work!! :mad:

FlightMan 27 September 2010 01:42 PM

:lol1:

Bravo2zero_sps 27 September 2010 01:46 PM

Well done him for avoiding this countries most disgusting and immoral tax. Inheritance tax is tax on income that has already been taxed once or more so taxing it again is just plain wrong.

AndyC_772 27 September 2010 01:56 PM

Politician in "not a f**king idiot" shocker!!

Coffin Dodger 27 September 2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9622722)
Well done him for avoiding this countries most disgusting and immoral tax. Inheritance tax is tax on income that has already been taxed once or more so taxing it again is just plain wrong.

:thumb:

Yes, just sounds like he made a sound financial judgement based upon the upcoming law change.

Come on Pete, you can't tell me you wouldn't do the same in the situation, e.g. I've got £50k in some sort of savings account, leave it there until April 6th and pay 20% tax on it or move it to another account and pay no tax. Of course you would move it :rolleyes:

Geezer 27 September 2010 02:05 PM

Whilst I agree that taxing the estate is effectively taxing the money that has already paid tax, who person really suffers is the recipient, but they have received in come that they would not have had really. I suppose the taxation on that basis it not really unfair.

What I do find unpleasant about IHT is that it's valued on the estate before it's paid out. What would seem fairer would to only trigger IHT if a single person received more than the limit for IHT, not the estate as a whole.

Geezer

yellowvanman 27 September 2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 9622740)
:thumb:

Yes, just sounds like he made a sound financial judgement based upon the upcoming law change.

Come on Pete, you can't tell me you wouldn't do the same in the situation, e.g. I've got £50k in some sort of savings account, leave it there until April 6th and pay 20% tax on it or move it to another account and pay no tax. Of course you would move it :rolleyes:

Indeed, and there will no doubt be a rush to buy things this before the VAT change in Jan. Are these people going to be robbing the country, or just operating within the law to save themselves some money?

cster 27 September 2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9622714)
Greedy, grabbing, immoral, unethical, Tory GIT!!! :mad:

Lord Ashcroft has continued to avoid millions of pounds of tax despite promising to become a full UK taxpayer.

The Conservative peer transferred ownership of his main UK company, the Impellam Group, to a trust for the benefit of his children, Panorama has found.

Lord Ashcroft, who is set to resign as deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, transferred his £17m stake in Impellam on 5 April.

The next day, on 6 April, a new law forced people sitting in the House of Lords to pay tax on their worldwide income and assets.

Tax lawyer Richard Frimston told Panorama that Lord Ashcroft would have faced a hefty inheritance tax bill under the new legislation if he had made the change one day later.

"If that had been done on the following day, assets worth say £17m going into trust would have been subject to tax at 20%, which would have created an immediate inheritance tax charge of something in the region of £3.4m.

"So that was avoided by doing it on 5 April as opposed to waiting until 6 April."

As much a SCUM as a Chav claiming benefit because they don't fancy work!! :mad:

And so what?
Is there some law in this country that says you have to pay more tax than the law says you have to?
You want to get a grip fella.

F1 CJE UK 27 September 2010 04:16 PM

:thumb: 100% agree

mamoon2 27 September 2010 04:47 PM

I'm quite glad we have someone like this in Parliament. Better to have people with their own mind than some lefty declaring they are willing to give their left testicle to please the PC Plonkers

Xx-IAN-xX 27 September 2010 05:39 PM

Sounds like common sense to me:thumb:

warrenm2 27 September 2010 06:21 PM

tax avoidance is perfect legal, what do you think the duty free shop is at the airport?

David Lock 27 September 2010 07:17 PM

I've never understood why one should be asked to pay tax in UK for work outside UK in the first place?

dl

pslewis 27 September 2010 09:17 PM

Well, I didn't expect much support for my stance on the Tory loving SN - but, thought that I would have agreement that this Tax avoidance stinks!

OK, then, the local Chav who is 'entitled' to £50,000 a year for his 5 kids, from 5 different women is also acting within the rules and system ....... so, I want to hear not one bleet about it being unfair from you lot posting above!

Xx-IAN-xX 27 September 2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9623565)
Well, I didn't expect much support for my stance on the Tory loving SN - but, thought that I would have agreement that this Tax avoidance stinks!

OK, then, the local Chav who is 'entitled' to £50,000 a year for his 5 kids, from 5 different women is also acting within the rules and system ....... so, I want to hear not one bleet about it being unfair from you lot posting above!

No doubt the chav is labour scum :lol1:

cster 27 September 2010 11:42 PM

I just don't understand why you think anyone should want to pay more tax than the law says they have to.
What this has to do with people claiming benefits is completely beyond my understanding.
Please don't feel obliged to try and enlighten me. I fear the connection between the two is as tenuous as your grip on reality.;)

Dedrater 28 September 2010 12:36 AM

Agreed. I would have done the same.

Coffin Dodger 28 September 2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9623861)
I just don't understand why you think anyone should want to pay more tax than the law says they have to.
What this has to do with people claiming benefits is completely beyond my understanding.
Please don't feel obliged to try and enlighten me. I fear the connection between the two is as tenuous as your grip on reality.;)

:lol1:

Methinks he's lost this one :D

hodgy0_2 28 September 2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9623861)

obviously nothing -- as has been pointed out both perfectly legal

what pslewis point is - if I understand him, is that the benefit claimant seems to attract quite a lot of critics on this forum whereas tax dodgers (albiet legal ones) do not.

I don't know the figures but i suspect the amount "lost" to Tax avoidance/evasion (for the sake of the arguement I make no distinction) amounts to many billions where as the amount lost to benefit fraud is counted in the 100's of millions - i.e. pretty small fry in the grand scheme of things

but I am sure pslewis will be along to clear up any confusion

Ant 28 September 2010 09:42 AM

I don't see what the point you're making pete, are you saying you wouldn't the same?

hutton_d 28 September 2010 10:08 AM

At least Ashcroft actually pays tax. The 'local chav' does not and relies on people who work to pay for his *lifestyle*. I'd use a couple of bricks to change his lifestyle personally. Or, having read a bit about him, just get rid of all the bus stops in his neck of the woods .... :thumb:

Dave

Leslie 28 September 2010 11:35 AM

Have you ever used the system to avoid tax Pete, or would you if you had the chance? Wouldn't you say that it is the fault of those who made up that system for losing that tax money? Did NL institute that system? Perhap's you coud enlighten us-I have to say that I don't know.

Rich people seem to be well ahead of the game in this respect.

Les

bigsinky 28 September 2010 11:40 AM

I see Panorama has pulled their documentary after they received "new" information. :rolleyes:

dpb 28 September 2010 11:41 AM

Rich people ( of whatever polotical persuasion ) tend to be clever (not always obviously) and clever people will do what they can to reduce their outgoings,

its not rocket science :rolleyes:

Which of course is why lewis doesnt understand of course lol

Bravo2zero_sps 28 September 2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9624227)
Rich people ( of whatever polotical persuasion ) tend to be clever (not always obviously) and clever people will do what they can to reduce their outgoings,

its not rocket science :rolleyes:

Which of course is why lewis doesnt understand of course lol

Or rather rich people can afford to hire the best accountants who know all the loopholes and exploit them accordingly. If I could afford one i'd have such an accountant, would be mad not to.

Leslie 28 September 2010 01:19 PM

Yes thats the real way its done of course.

Les

cster 28 September 2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9624099)
Tax avoidance/evasion (for the sake of the arguement I make no distinction

For the sake of posting an opinion on this thread - that is quite some qualification.;)
I think it would be fair to comment that someone who is not paying more tax than they have to, is not putting more into the system than they have to.
Someone who is on benefits is taking out of the system.
I don't see how the two may be considered in any way the same, but for the sake of argument - I accept that there are some who do.
What would really interest me would be to know who among us pays more tax than they have to - because this is what some people think Mr Ashcroft should be doing.
Perhaps there are a few on here who put in a cheque for couple of extra K when it is tax time or perhaps refuse to cash in their rebates and so on.
Or perhaps not - words are so much cheaper than deeds.

hodgy0_2 28 September 2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9624857)
For the sake of posting an opinion on this thread - that is quite some qualification.;)
I think it would be fair to comment that someone who is not paying more tax than they have to, is not putting more into the system than they have to.
Someone who is on benefits is taking out of the system.
I don't see how the two may be considered in any way the same, but for the sake of argument - I accept that there are some who do.
What would really interest me would be to know who among us pays more tax than they have to - because this is what some people think Mr Ashcroft should be doing.
Perhaps there are a few on here who put in a cheque for couple of extra K when it is tax time or perhaps refuse to cash in their rebates and so on.
Or perhaps not - words are so much cheaper than deeds.

thank you for being so understanding

cster 28 September 2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9625088)
thank you for being so understanding

And thank you for being so sincere.:)

boomer 28 September 2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9624132)
At least Ashcroft actually pays tax. The 'local chav' does not and relies on people who work to pay for his *lifestyle*.

+1 :thumb:

mb