ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Tell me how much damage i have done..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/851836-tell-me-how-much-damage-i-have-done.html)

chtpcpo 19 September 2010 07:48 PM

Tell me how much damage i have done.....

In a rush the other day (Friday) and stopped for petrol (as per normal) thought i would check oil which was just below lowest dot. PANIC! My BMW has run low before and as a rule of thumb i just chuck a litre in and go. Did the same with the scoob...... forgot about it, 3 good thrashes over the weekend. Went to take the dog for a walk earlier, started her up and a brief cloud of blue smoke appeared at the back of the car MORE PANIC! Checkd oil level, over twice the max value :eek: Exhaust runs clear after a few mins so no oil getting through regualrly.

Tell me what i might have done?

:(

neil1980 19 September 2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by chtpcpo (Post 9608852)
In a rush the other day (Friday) and stopped for petrol (as per normal) thought i would check oil which was just below lowest dot. PANIC! My BMW has run low before and as a rule of thumb i just chuck a litre in and go. Did the same with the scoob...... forgot about it, 3 good thrashes over the weekend. Went to take the dog for a walk earlier, started her up and a brief cloud of blue smoke appeared at the back of the car MORE PANIC! Checkd oil level, over twice the max value :eek: Exhaust runs clear after a few mins so no oil getting through regualrly.

drain n refill with correct amount then go from there

The Zohan 19 September 2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by neil1980 (Post 9608877)
drain n refill with correct amount then go from there

+1

Glowplug 19 September 2010 08:25 PM

Another +1.

And wait for the boost problems as the BCS and accociated plumbing becomes contaminated (you might get aaway with it ;))

chtpcpo 19 September 2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9608971)
Another +1.

And wait for the boost problems as the BCS and accociated plumbing becomes contaminated (you might get aaway with it ;))

I hope so!

chtpcpo 20 September 2010 12:26 PM

Drained all of 250ml to get it to the right level..... I take it oil can only get into the exhaust via the piston rings or turbo seals? If there is no power drop and no clues of blue smoke under had acceleration then the problem is fixed?

Glowplug 20 September 2010 12:56 PM

Thats down to the top 'o' on the dipstick yes?

Oil can/will get blown about by the breather pipes too. But yes, if all seems well :D

chtpcpo 20 September 2010 01:04 PM

Yes, just below the top 'O'

Just been for a quick spin and no oil clouds, will wait and see when i start her up at the end of the day to see if there is anymroe oil in the system..........

turboaddict 20 September 2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by chtpcpo (Post 9608852)

you will not do that again in a hurry mate i bet, never check your oil level when the car has just been driven as you will always get an incorrect reading, wait untill its cooled down when all the oil has sunk down to the sump then check. i check mine every day(along with the other checks) prior to start up in the mornings-it never moves but bet ya dolla the day i dont check it is the day it will have run low then booooom goes my prid n joy.

chtpcpo 20 September 2010 05:39 PM

Good advice there! I will be checking my oil regularly as it seems to have developed a bit of a thirst since it went from 215 to 330 bhp!

turboaddict 20 September 2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chtpcpo (Post 9610392)
Good advice there! I will be checking my oil regularly as it seems to have developed a bit of a thirst since it went from 215 to 330 bhp!

what mods have you put in place to gain 330bhp what year is it on? i have my97 and really want to get it mapped but it costs soooo much as i need a new ecu as the 97 cannot be mapped which is a pain in the ass.
how offten are you having to add oil and what oil are you using ie 10-40?

chtpcpo 20 September 2010 06:25 PM

Using 10-40. It had up to the 2/3 Mark when i bought it in June. It is an my00 with a vf28 with bob Rawle remap. Sti v6 intercooler, prodrive 3 port boost solenoid.

Martin 2010 23 September 2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by turboaddict (Post 9610444)
what mods have you put in place to gain 330bhp what year is it on? i have my97 and really want to get it mapped but it costs soooo much as i need a new ecu as the 97 cannot be mapped which is a pain in the ass.
how offten are you having to add oil and what oil are you using ie 10-40?

welcome to my world, lol ive recently got a 98 uk turbo and to get mine to hit about 340 ive had to spend £££££

ive got the following to get there ( not all fitted yet, a aftermarket ecu and remap wont get you near 300bhp mine only reached 260 with FMIC Decat and cat back stainless and 3 port boost solinoid. my list to get it to 330-350 is

Apexi Ecu ( cheapest u can get that i know of )
FMIC
De cat
3 Port Boost solinoid
induction kit
Hks SSQV dump valve ( not nessarly needed )
VF35 Turbo
440 Yellow Injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
and Remap By Fiestaboy ( richard )

lots of money and only now ive realised how much ive spent ooops! lol well worth it thought :D

How ever now need a Stage 1 Clutch and better gearbox to take it as i dont think mines going to last long once the turbo injectors and fuel pump are fitted and mapped to suit.

ScoobyNoobie 23 September 2010 07:41 AM

If all traces of smoke are gone now, there's a good chance that because you had too much oil in it, that some oil was getting pushed out the breather pipes, which are routed back into your intake manifold.

So any oil that came out the breathers, ended up going straight in with air an fuel, and getting burned. Hence the blue smoke.

Or it could have been getting by piston rings from the bottom, valve stem seals, turbo seals etc!

chtpcpo 23 September 2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie (Post 9615266)
If all traces of smoke are gone now, there's a good chance that because you had too much oil in it, that some oil was getting pushed out the breather pipes, which are routed back into your intake manifold.

So any oil that came out the breathers, ended up going straight in with air an fuel, and getting burned. Hence the blue smoke.

Or it could have been getting by piston rings from the bottom, valve stem seals, turbo seals etc!

All looking fine now mate:thumb: Got the dealer to look it over and they said all is fine