ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   "Operating System Not found?" (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/850951-operating-system-not-found.html)

aggs 13 September 2010 09:39 PM

"Operating System Not found?"

Just turned on my lap top and it says
"operating System not found"

Has it crashed and have I lost everthing?

Help!

Markus 13 September 2010 09:57 PM

Check the CD drive to make sure there isn't a CD/DVD in there. It could be trying to boot from that and if there is no OS on it then it'll give you that message.

Even if it's the hard drive itself it doesn't mean you have completely lost everything, the data could well still be there. It may be possible to do a repair install of the OS and retain the apps and data.

If you happened to have another machine, what you could do, somewhat technical though, is to pull the drive out of the laptop, stick it in an external enclosure, connect it to the other machine and verify the integrity of the drive and pull the data from it if it's ok, and then try a repair on the drive.

aggs 13 September 2010 10:03 PM

Is this a PC error or software error?

Do I return Lap top to Manufacturer?

Or try and get it repaired.

Laptop approx 10 months old Acer

PS Thanks for advice.
Took a cd out and restarted it but same problem,looks bad!

jura11 13 September 2010 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by aggs (Post 9599129)
Just turned on my lap top and it says
"operating System not found"

Has it crashed and have I lost everthing?

Help!

Just download EasyBoot CD(which allow you just boot and recover your files on external HDD) or Knoppix(which is its same),its great for recovery your files/folders,if you don't want loose,and sometimes this help.
Look at BIOS for boot,and set boot from HDD(if you have 2 HDD,try every one),not from CD/DVD etc.

bioforger 14 September 2010 12:04 AM

Acers really are pants, sorry this of no use to you but i know of 2 other people whose lappies have failed in <1yr.

hodgy0_2 14 September 2010 07:47 AM

reseat your hard drive

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2010 03:34 PM

Failing that Google for repairing boot sector/boot.ini or boot partition if windows 7. Have you got the OS dvd/cd the laptop came with?

If so put it the laptop boot up and select to boot from dvd drive. Once dvd is loaded don't do install but choose repair and follow instructions. This should hopefully detect the failure and correct it for you if not a hardware issue.

bioforger 14 September 2010 05:43 PM

more likely to be hardware failure n a hosed hdd imo

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2010 06:50 PM

Possibly but worth a shot.

jura11 14 September 2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9600364)

I think this problem is related to MBR.
And Bravo2zero have truth:thumb: about get shot and try to repair with DVD(W7,Vista),and i think will solve problem on W7,Vista,XP

bioforger 14 September 2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9600364)

Oh yea definitely as it doesn't take long, but it will only hide the main issue, if the hdd has badblocks that is or another issue. The problem will just resurface at a later date.