ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Speedo & missing problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/850723-speedo-and-missing-problems.html)

Merv 12 September 2010 11:52 AM

Speedo & missing problems

STi 6 with 58k on the clock totally standard,

I have had the car for a couple of months with no problems at all,but the speedo has stopped working now and then,it just drops back to zero for a few seconds and then goes back to normal,but today the car has started missing when the speedo stops working and then all goes back to normal.

Would the MPH converter cause the missing if it's on the way out?

Thanks

Merv

Glowplug 12 September 2010 12:20 PM

Non working speedo, whether it be the cable or the coverter or another fault will throw a 'speed sensor'(or simular) fault and the ECU will put the car into limp mode. This happened on my MY93 and it turned out the cable had been miss routed and was pulling out at the clock end.

HTH ;)

Merv 12 September 2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9596275)
Non working speedo, whether it be the cable or the coverter or another fault will throw a 'speed sensor'(or simular) fault and the ECU will put the car into limp mode. This happened on my MY93 and it turned out the cable had been miss routed and was pulling out at the clock end.

HTH ;)

Thanks for that,the car had a new clutch fitted before I got it,so it could be a cable problem some where.

Glowplug 12 September 2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Merv (Post 9596283)
Thanks for that,the car had a new clutch fitted before I got it,so it could be a cable problem some where.

Sounds plausable to me. Time to get upside down in the footwell :lol1:

turboaddict 12 September 2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9596329)
Sounds plausable to me. Time to get upside down in the footwell :lol1:

Afternoon steve hows tricks:thumb:

Glowplug 12 September 2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by turboaddict (Post 9596331)
Afternoon steve hows tricks:thumb:

AOK John, you? Just avin a do f all Sunday :cool:

turboaddict 12 September 2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9596339)
AOK John, you? Just avin a do f all Sunday :cool:

yerr me too mate, had a laugh on hear last night but some dont quite know how to take my banter......recon i give subaru drivers a bad name -

Glowplug 12 September 2010 01:55 PM

Thats the beauty of forums, you can never be 100% sure of the context of the post :norty:

bgood 12 September 2010 02:53 PM

The STI6 has an electronic speedo, the speed convertor is wired into a cable that plugs into the gearbox, your best bet is to replace it, you can get them from www.milsport.com

joz8968 12 September 2010 02:58 PM

Wrong link - it's .co.uk ;)

Here you go:-

Milsport Electronic speedo converter/delimiter

Can get 'em on eBay for similar money too - I got this one:-

SUBARU SPEEDO CONVERTER / DELIMTER / KMH TO MPH

Merv 12 September 2010 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by bgood (Post 9596477)
The STI6 has an electronic speedo, the speed convertor is wired into a cable that plugs into the gearbox, your best bet is to replace it, you can get them from www.milsport.com

Thanks for the info,where will the converter be located in the car under the dash or in the engine bay?

Cheers
Merv