ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Recommendations for 2nd hand 5door hatch for Mrs (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/850667-recommendations-for-2nd-hand-5door-hatch-for-mrs.html)

mgcvk 11 September 2010 11:15 PM

Recommendations for 2nd hand 5door hatch for Mrs

As the Fiesta seems to be kaput we need a runaround, I would say £3500 max. No need for speed, more economy and reliability. Mrs likes Citroen C3's and Pluriels apparently which get mixed reviews, but otherwise actually hates driving and has no interest in cars. She needs car for work. Don't really want another Ford as I am sick of the inside of local garages after trying to coax the rusty old Fiesta through another MOT. Looked at an immaculate '03 plate 1 litre Micra E today with only 24k on the clock, but I don't think even my Mrs found it remotely appealing! Some amazing low mileage top spec ex-motability cars out there, but most just out of our price range.

Oilburner 12 September 2010 12:05 AM

You need a Honda Jazz my friend! :thumb: Here you go http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p its a Honda so it'll never,ever go wrong

lozgti1 12 September 2010 06:52 AM

She doesn't need speed but you might!

Skoda Fabia vRS.It is a sensible economic and great car.

Don't think I'd take the Pluriel route...

Brun 12 September 2010 11:32 AM

For £3.5k it's gonna be an old high milage VRS.

mgcvk 12 September 2010 11:44 AM

Jazz was one of my first thoughts though they do hold their value well unless you get a very old one. Fabia is a good idea, not pretty but solid with a bit of oomph and diesel would be good. Purchase is most likely going to have to be at a dealer though to put the bulk of cost on an interest free purchase credit card.

jpor 12 September 2010 03:50 PM

Ever Considered a Daihatsu? If it's for the missus what about a Daihatus Sirion? Can get either a 1.0 - 1.3 litre in the old shape or up-to a 1.5 in the new.
Daihatsu are owned by Toyota and were rated 3rd for reliability. Also cheaper than a Toyota to buy. I personally own a Daihatsu YRV Turbo, and it's a brilliant little car with five doors, it's like a tardis. PLus with these cars you get air-con, electric windows and mirrors as standard.

mgcvk 13 September 2010 12:28 PM

Looks like it is going to be the Citroen C3. Gutless and wibbly wobbly and a bit of a Grandma's car, but not my decision to make.:rolleyes:

Matteeboy 13 September 2010 01:24 PM

Suzuki Swift - brilliant, fun little cars and reliable too.

Turbo2 13 September 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 9598044)
Looks like it is going to be the Citroen C3. Gutless and wibbly wobbly

May as well get a 2006 Grande Punto petrol (1.2 or 1.4) then. At least they look nice parked outside, even if they couldn't pull the skin off your Grandma's lumpy custard. Giorgietto Giugaro himself considers it one of his finest ever car designs, which I am sure will impress your wife's friends (tell her he designs handbags & shoes or something!)

The poverty spec "Active" models start at 3k, whereas the a/c and alloys equipped "Dynamic" start at 3.5k, so I would go for one of those. They hold their value quite well at this price level, probably because they still make the damn things, albeit in the uglier EVO (:lol1:) facelift version.

Toomanycars 13 September 2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 9598044)
Looks like it is going to be the Citroen C3. Gutless and wibbly wobbly and a bit of a Grandma's car, but not my decision to make.:rolleyes:

I would try and get a diesel one aswell.......£30 per year tax and 60+ mpg!!

I'm trying to get my dad one at the moment ready for his retirement.I drove one a few years ago because i was looking for a car for my wife and i have to say it went bloody well (if you get an SX or above it will be the 16valve HDI with 92bhp) and was very comfy.

£3500 is easily enough for one with >50k.

mgcvk 14 September 2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 9596533)
Ever Considered a Daihatsu? If it's for the missus what about a Daihatus Sirion? Can get either a 1.0 - 1.3 litre in the old shape or up-to a 1.5 in the new.
Daihatsu are owned by Toyota and were rated 3rd for reliability. Also cheaper than a Toyota to buy. I personally own a Daihatsu YRV Turbo, and it's a brilliant little car with five doors, it's like a tardis. PLus with these cars you get air-con, electric windows and mirrors as standard.

The YRV looks great. I could fancy one for myself. Would scare the crap out of my wife though!:lol1:

Stealth 14 September 2010 08:01 PM

Mini Cooper one with a few trick bits on :D

scoobywrxwagon 14 September 2010 08:14 PM

2006 VAUXHALL VECTRA 1.9 CDTi Exclusiv [150] 5dr Diesel Hatchback

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

That would be my choice good mpg decent size cheap tax cheap to repair. Good all rounder plus it will have a lil speed for you.

And before some says it, I dont mean this exact car just this model as there are loads at this price.

Toomanycars 15 September 2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 9600517)
Mini Cooper one with a few trick bits on :D

:wonder: needs a 5 door and budget £3500 max??

IWatkins 15 September 2010 08:40 AM

Mitsubishi Colt? Boring as hell but reliable and roomy.

mgcvk 15 September 2010 10:06 AM

Too late! Her Dad chipped in with an extra grand for her and she has gone for a black '06 C3 1.4 Desire at a local dealer. It is a very sensible sensible sensible purchase, not what I would have bought for myself as it is like being in a rowing boat going round corners with similar power to a rowing boat :Whatever_, but then I'm not paying for it.;)
Car is perfect condition mind, one lady owner on the log book, 30,000 miles for just over £4.5K. Dealers are doing the service it is due, giving three months warranty, six months road tax and full year's MOT. So private sale might have been bit cheaper but she wanted this security. Bit depressing when you see the more "manly" options out there for similar money. I have tried to point this out, but she has indicated that I have the scoob which she hates and has never driven and has no intention of driving and that I can feck off! :D

jpor 15 September 2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 9600237)
The YRV looks great. I could fancy one for myself. Would scare the crap out of my wife though!:lol1:

Yeah cheap as chips and only 210 officially imported over by Daihatsu. Keeps up with a blobeye 225BHP Impreza WRX :norty: As it only weights 930Kg. Plus it's been very reliable. Had to sort out the cornering as best as possible. Sorry to hear that you've bought a C3 :( Oh well hope the french have sorted out the electrics in their cars :)

Stealth 15 September 2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Toomanycars (Post 9601062)
:wonder: needs a 5 door and budget £3500 max??

Ahh yeah, negated the 5dr bit LOL jsut squeeze what ever you can through the 2 given doors :D

This looks like a good buy though (Golf)

Golf