ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Panamera-growing on me??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/850232-panamera-growing-on-me.html)

Dingdongler 08 September 2010 07:26 PM

Panamera-growing on me???

Can't believe I'm saying this as I always thought the Panamera was THE ugliest car EVER made. I couldn't understand why anybody would spend £60-£100k on this fugly when they could have a hot MB/BMW/Audi etc .

Then yesterday I saw one in black and caught myself looking at it and thinking, 'it looks quite menacing and has road presence'
The interior is actually very very nice, better than the standard fare from MB/BMW etc

Am I losing the plot??:lol1:

tony de wonderful 08 September 2010 07:42 PM

They are awful, I saw one today on the M56.

Porsche taxi.

JonMc 08 September 2010 07:45 PM

Losing:eek:, you've completely lost it. I watched the top gear with it in and can't see the attraction, the Maserati out performs it in every way in my view, and for the cash it is the car I would much rather have. This was not a new view as the wife already had her eye on the neighbours Maserati, and after we visited the showroom in Lyndhurst the other week it reinforced our view.

SimonD 08 September 2010 07:48 PM

No you're not.

Never trust your initial impressions of a car. Those you like immediately rarely stand the test of time. My neighbour has one and it is a beautiful thing (in a fugly kind of way;)).

SimonD 08 September 2010 07:53 PM

Yes, the Maserati is a lovely thing too but I wouldn't put my money into it. I've already seen a couple stranded at the side of the road within a couple of miles of me.
How many longstanding dealers are there other than the one in Lyndhurst? I've seen several come and go in the last five years.

Jimbob 08 September 2010 07:54 PM

Yeah they are a bit strange.

In my eyes they looks nice apart from the lights. WHY did they try and stick 911 stuff on there. Surely if they would have designed something specific for it, and not trying to make Every Porsche ever made look like a 911, then it would look awesome.
Its those stupid lights.

hodgy0_2 08 September 2010 08:00 PM

i commented on a previous thread that I think they look very good in the flesh

especially in dark colours -- and as dong says a lot of road presence

i think people initial opinions will change once they see them on the road

Matteeboy 08 September 2010 08:17 PM

I have always liked them - a successor to the classic 928 IMO and damn quick.

Seen a few Mazzer Gran tourismos recently - now that is one gorgeous looking car. Will break down constantly though.

Dingdongler 08 September 2010 08:51 PM

The Maserati's do look fabulous. The Gran turismo to be is just pure sex. Thing is I don't think they are actually very good cars, and as somebody else said wouldn't put my own cash into it.

The turbo with a remap to 550 BHP, PDK gearbox and 4Wd should be a monster on the road. It's mega expensive but if it has poor residuals it could be in many people's reach in just a couple of years time.

zip106 08 September 2010 09:49 PM

IF it has poor residuals?
IF?

Exhibit 'A' M'Lud....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...58031#15316287

:eek:

But that aside, I've always quite liked them. :)

Trout 08 September 2010 10:28 PM

They do look a bit like a fat 911 Turbo. Apart from that they are OK.

rookymatt 09 September 2010 08:11 AM

I own a bug eye so i'm allowed to pass comment on an ugly car!! hehe
It is a nice car, but it does look like a love child of The Elephant man and Sloth out of the Goonies!
I personally think there isw much better out there for the money.
However it is your money, and i suggest to go with your heart as there are no shops in heaven mate! :D

jameswrx 09 September 2010 08:38 AM

Great looking cars in my opinion. Who cares what other people think? If you want something practical I think it's superb.

EddScott 09 September 2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 9590494)
Great looking cars in my opinion. Who cares what other people think? If you want something practical I think it's superb.

+1 - thought the Top Gear article on the 3 super 4 door cars was very unfair to the Panny.

I think its a lovely looking car and I would be tempted to go for that over the others IF I was in the market for a car like that.

The problem with them is who is going to buy them? You either want a sports car so buy a 2 door or your a familyman and need 4 doors in which case you'll probably buy a RR Sport.

billythekid 09 September 2010 10:03 AM

I still like them, not anywhere near as nice looking as any 911 ever made, but still a nice car. I think we are going to see them at £30k in a couple of years... will be a mega buy then.

Matteeboy 09 September 2010 10:19 AM

Edd - a few cars in a similarish category that sell though - AM Rapide, Jag XFR, Mazzer Quattroporte, etc

zip106 09 September 2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 9590582)
I still like them, not anywhere near as nice looking as any 911 ever made, but still a nice car. I think we are going to see them at £30k in a couple of years... will be a mega buy then.

£130k Turbo now = residual value courtesy of Porsche themselves in 3 years time - £33k.

As Pete would say, dip yer bread.....

Dingdongler 09 September 2010 09:53 PM

Lordy! Is that Porsche's own quoted residual after 3 years?? Why would anybody buy one brand new?? (even if they were loaded)

Dingdongler 09 September 2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9590556)
+1 - thought the Top Gear article on the 3 super 4 door cars was very unfair to the Panny.

I think its a lovely looking car and I would be tempted to go for that over the others IF I was in the market for a car like that.

The problem with them is who is going to buy them? You either want a sports car so buy a 2 door or your a familyman and need 4 doors in which case you'll probably buy a RR Sport.

I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those!

zip106 09 September 2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9592058)
Lordy! Is that Porsche's own quoted residual after 3 years?? Why would anybody buy one brand new?? (even if they were loaded)

Have a look-see at the link I posted earlier.
:)

Dingdongler 10 September 2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 9592103)
Have a look-see at the link I posted earlier.

Thanks. Its unbelievable that somebody would see the projected residual value and still sign on the bottom line. I appreciate some people have a lot of money, but not many people like to burn money. And it's not as though there is no alternative either. You could buy an 18 month old M5 and and an 18th month old 997 turbo and still have money left over for insurance and a couple of years of maintenance!

I must say if they are £60k in 18 months time I'll be on here telling everybody that it's the most beautiful car ever made:lol1:

Trout 10 September 2010 08:52 AM

But pretty much all super luxo barges have vertical depreciation!

lozgti1 10 April 2011 07:34 AM

Thread resurrection I know,but!........seen a couple on the road now and they do look rather good

(and i thought it was detestable at first)

alanbell 10 April 2011 09:04 AM

I might get one later this year, it will be the bigger turbo model, not a bad price £75K for a two year old, Just need to sell a damaged 335 and a S6.

Dingdongler 17 April 2011 08:36 AM

Yes, they have grown on me a little more and the interior is fantastic. Boot space is quite limited in these (so I've been told).

I'm feeling tempted by one of these

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...11-CAR-review/

Dingdongler 17 April 2011 08:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk85W...eature=related

Trout 17 April 2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9991674)
Yes, they have grown on me a little more and the interior is fantastic. Boot space is quite limited in these (so I've been told).

I'm feeling tempted by one of these

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...11-CAR-review/

Haven't you just bought a car?

My god man - you're getting worse than me!

Dingdongler 17 April 2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9992063)
Haven't you just bought a car?

My god man - you're getting worse than me!

How long did you think I would cope with being Mr Sensible diesel man?:lol1:

zip106 17 April 2011 09:55 PM

Mid-life crisis approaching Ding....?

alloy 18 April 2011 08:50 AM

AMG over the VW Panamera all day long!!