ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Looks like my turbo has had it by the looks of it. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/850200-looks-like-my-turbo-has-had-it-by-the-looks-of-it.html)

Jimbob 08 September 2010 04:07 PM

Looks like my turbo has had it.

Either that or my engine has had it instead.

Right following on from here.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...issue-lol.html

Went to fit the downpipe and Lambda today, as there was a break in the weather. So got everything ready, and it started to rain, so chucked everything into the boot. And thought hasn`t been started for 2 weeks, better get it running.

Started her up and mahooosive cloud of blue smoke that stank, then cleared, gave it a quick rev and mahooosive cloud of blue smoke again, left off throttle smoke gone and I turned it off. So I`m gonna assume my turbo is fudged. That makes life that little more annoying.

I cannot be asked to do it in the rain, I NEED a garage or shelter, as I`m really really wet and really really pi$$ed off.

KAS35RSTI 08 September 2010 05:12 PM

What colour is the smoke?

trogg 08 September 2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9589477)

I'd guess blue, just based on what he said. ;)

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX (Post 9589356)
cloud of blue smoke that stank, then cleared, gave it a quick rev and mahooosive cloud of blue smoke again, left off throttle smoke gone and I turned it off.

Jimbob 08 September 2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9589477)

Blue, and stinks of burnt oil.

KAS35RSTI 08 September 2010 05:24 PM

so before you removed the DP etc the smoke did not exist? Have you put the DP back on?

Jimbob 08 September 2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9589507)
so before you removed the DP etc the smoke did not exist? Have you put the DP back on?

Not touched it, only got as far as jacking the car up on one side.

Basically only driven the car home after finding that lambda sensor gone.
The car runs ok and cat on fire lamp comes on occasionally cutting power, so deffo something up in the exhaust.

KAS35RSTI 08 September 2010 06:03 PM

Personally i would take the DP off to see if the turbo is leaking any oil. Im sure when the Lamda is faulty the emissions tend to get high & can throw out fair amount of black smoke. You should also do a self diagnosis to find out what error code you are getting.

Hope this helps

Jimbob 08 September 2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9589580)
Personally i would take the DP off to see if the turbo is leaking any oil. Im sure when the Lamda is faulty the emissions tend to get high & can throw out fair amount of black smoke. You should also do a self diagnosis to find out what error code you are getting.

Hope this helps

Yeah I know that, but this is what happened to the lambda.
Thats gotta do some damage, esp as there is porcelain gone through too.

Left is what came out, right is whats going in.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...0920101173.jpg

So not gonna give it chance, I`ll get the spare TD05 I have out and swap them over, at the same time get rid of the standard downpipe, and see what comes out of the cat. Then if it still smokes like a biatch I`ll have to reassess.

KAS35RSTI 08 September 2010 06:12 PM

Holy christ that looks bad.

Jimbob 08 September 2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9589596)
Holy christ that looks bad.

Yep, hence why I think the Turbo is naff.

Grant74 08 September 2010 09:32 PM

Does sound like the turbo, but that old lamda could be very old! Fit the lamda and check the ecu for codes, then likely the turbo change. Maybe worth new gaskets too.

Jimbob 08 September 2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grant74 (Post 9590083)
Does sound like the turbo, but that old lamda could be very old! Fit the lamda and check the ecu for codes, then likely the turbo change. Maybe worth new gaskets too.

Yeah will do, but the amount of blue smoke was terrible.

Will decat it to get rid of the bits and, also fit the lambda, when its off I¬ll check the turbo and ANYTHING that doesn`t look good its getting swapped.

The Stitcher 08 September 2010 10:07 PM

sorry to here this jim, as said above turbo and sensor etc.. fingers crossed for you that it's an easy fix

prodriverules 08 September 2010 10:10 PM

when you fired it up was it still on the jack up on one side mate?

Jimbob 08 September 2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by catalunya 172 (Post 9590159)
sorry to here this jim, as said above turbo and sensor etc.. fingers crossed for you that it's an easy fix

Aye hope so too.

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9590166)
when you fired it up was it still on the jack up on one side mate?

No it wasn`t.
BUT its outside my house on a hill so butt end up, and passenger side down.

prodriverules 08 September 2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX (Post 9590174)
Aye hope so too.

No it wasn`t.
BUT its outside my house on a hill so butt end up, and passenger side down.

it could have just been some oil pass by the piston rings mate,myn did this once when it was parked on a grass verge on the slant for 2 days,id get that lamba in and on the flat and try it again mate.

Jimbob 08 September 2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9590196)
it could have just been some oil pass by the piston rings mate,myn did this once when it was parked on a grass verge on the slant for 2 days,id get that lamba in and on the flat and try it again mate.

Will do. Also heard forged motors will do this if on funny angles too, and mine is forged.

prodriverules 08 September 2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX (Post 9590201)
Will do. Also heard forged motors will do this if on funny angles too, and mine is forged.

keep us informed how you get on but i think you could alright there fella:thumb:

Jimbob 08 September 2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9590203)
keep us informed how you get on but i think you could alright there fella:thumb:

Will do, but roll onto the flat and check the oil first I think lol.
Then get that downpipe off and do the Lambda. Thats IF the weather holds out to be nice and dry.

prodriverules 08 September 2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX (Post 9590214)
Will do, but roll onto the flat and check the oil first I think lol.
Then get that downpipe off and do the Lambda. Thats IF the weather holds out to be nice and dry.

+1 mate