ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   induction kit (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/849097-induction-kit.html)

chays scooby 31 August 2010 08:10 PM

induction kit

hi i have a 03 plate wrx turbo i recently bought a aem cold air induction kit but didnt get instructions how to fit it went to fit it saturday and kept cutting out and engine mangment lite came on can any body help me how to fit it

Glowplug 31 August 2010 08:15 PM

Bin it.:D

Fit a KnN panel in the OE air box, simples ;)

chays scooby 31 August 2010 08:20 PM

induction kit

is that induction kit rubbish does the k@n make any difference

Glowplug 31 August 2010 08:27 PM

All IK are rubbish imho.

IIRC your MAF is of the deicate type and is easily damaged by a IK, hence a good reason for the car being 8 years old and still having the Subaru airbox fitted. :wonder:

You will gain more from a KnN panel filter drawing in cold air than you will from a IK drawing in warm under bonnet air and it could also end up costing you £100's for a new MAF ;)

edit; if it hasn't already killed it :cry:

chays scooby 31 August 2010 08:41 PM

ok thanks i took it rite bk out when it was doing that what does maf mean il sell it in scot ads cheers

Glowplug 31 August 2010 08:48 PM

Good move :thumb:

The MAF is your Mass Air Flow meter, its contained in the hard black plastic tube that you secured that sh1tty cone to :lol1:

bluenose172 31 August 2010 08:49 PM

You need to remap the ECU when you fit an IK, you can't just fit it and expect it to work. It was probably running lean on idle, hence the cutting out a CEL.

scoobiewrx555 31 August 2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9575718)
All IK are rubbish imho.

They are not rubbish, more a waste of money unless you have a well modified motor that really requires it or more appropriately an early classic when you change to an FMIC. Also the MAF scaling table in the ECU mapping needs to be rescaled properly to reflect true airflow which in turn provides proper fuel trims otherwise cars tend to run a bit lean. On an average mildly modified newage the airbox with hgh flow flat panel air filter is good for over 400bhp.

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9575718)
IIRC your MAF is of the deicate type and is easily damaged by a IK.

You're thinking about the early classic type MAF's that are delicate and do breakdown with little provocation.

Newage MAF's are pretty robust and although your average Subaru may get through at least 2 in a lifetime they are not specially delicate.

The only thing you really need to do is clean them once in a while without touching them otherwise when the sensor gets covered in enough crap the ECU gets incorrect airflow readings from the MAF that eventually cause bad running.

I saw the mapping from an ECU the other day that had been mapped with a filthy MAF sensor which causes lean running. The tuner (i'll mention no names) mapped around the filthy MAF issue when he should have popped the sensor out, cleaned it, and then mapped the car. Cleaning the sensor and then rescaling the MAF table made a huge difference to closed loop fuel trims and of course the car runs much better when you're pottering around which is for most of us, most of the time.

Glowplug 31 August 2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555 (Post 9575899)

They are not rubbish, more a waste of money unless you have a well modified motor that really requires it or more appropriately an early classic when you change to an FMIC. Also the MAF scaling table in the ECU mapping needs to be rescaled properly to reflect true airflow which in turn provides proper fuel trims otherwise cars tend to run a bit lean. On an average mildly modified newage the airbox with hgh flow flat panel air filter is good for over 400bhp.

You're thinking about the early classic type MAF's that are delicate and do breakdown with little provocation.

Newage MAF's are pretty robust and although your average Subaru may get through at least 2 in a lifetime they are not specially delicate.

The only thing you really need to do is clean them once in a while without touching them otherwise when the sensor gets covered in enough crap the ECU gets incorrect airflow readings from the MAF that eventually cause bad running.

I saw the mapping from an ECU the other day that had been mapped with a filthy MAF sensor which causes lean running. The tuner (i'll mention no names) mapped around the filthy MAF issue when he should have popped the sensor out, cleaned it, and then mapped the car. Cleaning the sensor and then rescaling the MAF table made a huge difference to closed loop fuel trims and of course the car runs much better when you're pottering around which is for most of us, most of the time.

Well explained that man :thumb: