ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Radio interferance from engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/849069-radio-interferance-from-engine.html)

andyamf 31 August 2010 06:13 PM

Radio interferance from engine

hello,
the car is a 1999 classic turbo, just recently i have started getting a crackling from the radio in time with the engine. this only happens when the radio station reception isn't perfect. for example the local fm radio station is fine, radio 1 or 2 etc etc isn't. there are no problems with listening to cds.
so far i have tried a new aerial, a supressor, directly earthing to the battery, directly powering from the battery. also a different head unit, and no change.
anyone got any ideas?
thanks in advance
andy

Glowplug 31 August 2010 08:13 PM

Sounds like the coax then, not alot more left :confused:

andyamf 31 August 2010 08:35 PM

if by coax you mean the aerial cable, that would have been ruled out when the other aerial was tried. but thanks.

andyamf 02 September 2010 05:34 PM

i have also tried the engine earthing strap, still got that noise.

The Zohan 02 September 2010 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by andyamf (Post 9578718)
i have also tried the engine earthing strap, still got that noise.

check the radio earths and also the other earths in the engine bay, engine to bodywork, etc. worth undoing, cleaning with wire wool and tightening back up. More than one earth in an engine bay:)

also clean up the ariel mounting

stedee 02 September 2010 07:50 PM

maybe your signal wires are too close to live wires, if its just the radio, i`m guessing the aerial wire probably runs close to a live somewhere, try and separate them or wrap the aerial wire in foil or similar stuff to block out the interference

andyamf 03 September 2010 03:33 PM

can't believe it, mate's car has just got the same noise, just like mine, started out of the blue.

TonyBurns 03 September 2010 03:51 PM

How well shielded are your cables and your mounting for your radio?
As said, it could be that your cables are too close to live electrics, you have a bad earth in the car, but even my classic had some interference (that was an MY00), but if its really bad then start by removing the radio from the cradle and seeing if the reception improves.

Tony:)

andyamf 03 September 2010 04:41 PM

already did that when i tried a different radio, thanks though

Glowplug 03 September 2010 05:54 PM

Seem strange that;

a] It only happens on national radio and local is fine.

b] Your mate is suffering the same.

Have you tried driving to a different location, a high piont for example, to see if it's more to do with the reception strength that a fault/issue on your vehicles?

Just seems very coincidental :wonder:

andyamf 03 September 2010 06:14 PM

well it happens on any station that has a less than perfect signal.