ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY06-MY10 UK STI USDM STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/848571-my06-my10-uk-sti-usdm-sti.html)

juggers 27 August 2010 11:23 PM

MY06-MY10 UK STI USDM STI

Looks like it's not just the UK with this issue. I've been on the state side forums and it looks as if 1 in three goes pop in the states. This must be costing Subaru a S h it load. Surely they would try and address the issue.

Immy

Suberman 28 August 2010 05:33 AM

There was a recall in the US for the 2.5 engines sometime 2 years ago. It had something to do with the mapping if i remember correctly. I think it was running too lean near the redline or something like that. I guess Subaru "fixed" it from then on?:wonder: But it doesn't change the fact that as a whole, the 2.5 is weaker than the 2.0

p.rite.sh 28 August 2010 07:29 AM

is it just the map or the wole lot - and are new replacement engines stronger?

Mines just been replaced last week and am running it in

Shaun 28 August 2010 07:50 AM

There are inherent potential issues with the 2.5 fullstop. This has been exasperated by the map issues with the hatchbacks thats all.

Mapping issues aside, it seems it was potentially a bad move to use a 2ltr block (for intent and purpose an open deck block) case for 2.5ltr cylinders.

Mrfastbaz 28 August 2010 07:51 AM

still waiting formy 57 plate sti to come back been 5 1/2 weeks so far last i heard was an engine was coming from sweden going to pop into the garage today for an update....

juggers 28 August 2010 02:39 PM

What are owners going to do when these cars run out of warranty :(

mickp 28 August 2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 9570566)
What are owners going to do when these cars run out of warranty :(

Simples !!!!

Change cars or fit forged pistons ;)

rob84 28 August 2010 07:42 PM

Thats the only answer really is to fit forged internals, the pistons are sh*t lets face facts they arnt gonna improve. Subaru aint interested in coming up with a solution. They fit forged pistons to the police cars and there own press cars so thats tells you a story allready.

53 28 August 2010 08:23 PM

Personally, I will upgrade the engine and turbo when it happens :) Cracked VF43's HG's and potentially poop'd pistons is pi55 poor but what can you do ? these issues weren't apparent when most of us bought our cars and the cost of chopping in for something JDM is the cost of fixing when it happens so what to do...worry about today etc etc etc...

rob84 28 August 2010 08:49 PM

VF48 on the Hatches crack from the output turbine to the wastegate port headgaskets still give greif and i'm not supprised with the way they are torqued down

53 28 August 2010 09:06 PM

Cool, wouldn't want the Hatches to miss out on wastegate cracks lol ! :D I see one just yesterday cracked in the same place.

rob84 28 August 2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 9571175)
Cool, wouldn't want the Hatches to miss out on wastegate cracks lol ! :D I see one just yesterday cracked in the same place.

:lol:They seem to suffer everything going hahaha:eek:

juggers 29 August 2010 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by mickp (Post 9570975)
Simples !!!!

Change cars or fit forged pistons ;)

What about the poor sods who buy a used car next year with a budget of 15k couple of months down the line pop goes the engine. It does not do the Subaru brand any good and the poor chaps will have an engine rebuild bill.

p.rite.sh 29 August 2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 9571517)
What about the poor sods who buy a used car next year with a budget of 15k couple of months down the line pop goes the engine. It does not do the Subaru brand any good and the poor chaps will have an engine rebuild bill.

Ah, i believe you mean people like me?

Mine was from a dealer so lucky with the warranty, otherwise it would have been expensive

j999jmp 01 October 2010 10:44 PM

Is this the case for wrx 2.5 engines too? I have a 56 reg wrx wagon. I have a ticking noise on part acceleration that the garage says is normal? They replaced my downpipe under warrranty as they said it was cracked but i still have the noise. It disappears under harder acceleration? Getting worried!