ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   New Gearbox (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/848515-new-gearbox.html)

McPhie 27 August 2010 06:02 PM

New Gearbox

Hello

Just got my hands on a V reg Impreza Sport with the hope to put the gear box from it in my 93 Import WRX. Is it possible top fit this box?

Cheers, Jonny

scooby1982 27 August 2010 06:10 PM

I think it does fit mate but you will also need the rear diff and the prop too iirc, also i would imagine that you wont see any power gains or pick up in performance mate.

McPhie 27 August 2010 06:16 PM

Not after any performance increases, just that my current box is shagged and definately on the way out :)

scooby1982 27 August 2010 06:21 PM

am sure that it fits but if it does you defo need the rear diff from the same box mate and possibly the prop shaft too, it would probs be cheaper buying a sport box mate rather than going to the hassle of fitting a turbo box as you dont have to mess around with the rear diff too mate.

McPhie 27 August 2010 06:25 PM

Sorry I didn't make it too clear. I've had my turbo WRX for a while but the gearbox is shagged so got a cheap Impreza sport with the hope I can use the box from it. Are you saying there are differences between the turbo and non-turbo boxes?

joz8968 27 August 2010 07:15 PM

Even if it were to mate up, and you swap the Sport's rear diff (+ shafts if needed), it's not going to be a strong as a WRX box, I wouldn't have thought...????

FB Tuning 27 August 2010 08:15 PM

All non turbos have a push type clutch mechanisms with cable operation, turbo models have a hydraulic pull type, with clutch fork hardware differences.

You'll have to put a turbo clutch and release bearing, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, and other associated hardware on your NA motor, to make the turbo box and clutch operational.

McPhie 31 August 2010 11:38 AM

Thanks for the advice but I'm hoping to put the NA box in a Turbo, not the other way round. Been looking into it and checking out pictures etc and both boxes seem to have the fitting for hydraulic and cable on the outside. Hoping that I'll just have to swap a couple of things from teh clutches and it'll slot in.
The only thing that still worries me is that the NA box may be weaker?

joz8968 31 August 2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by McPhie (Post 9574844)
...The only thing that still worries me is that the NA box may be weaker?

Yeah, that's what I said - see post # 6 ^^^

TonyBurns 31 August 2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by McPhie (Post 9574844)
Thanks for the advice but I'm hoping to put the NA box in a Turbo

Well you can, you will be changing it again very quickly when the torque breaks it, the gearing is different and its not a recommended move.
There are a couple of gearboxes for sale at the moment in the forsale section, worth looking at tbh.

Tony:)