ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MY01 EJ257 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/848146-my01-ej257.html)

Minjeeta 25 August 2010 01:34 AM

MY01 EJ257

Turbo is red hot after 200m run from cold start. (decat downpipe)

Everything idles and revs fine, until the revs go up to 3500 - the whole road tries to go up the intake an into the turbo. The clutch starts slipping before I'm quick enough with the pedal.

Think the clutch is fecked anyway, cause its grindin and scuffing when you depress the pedal any. Oh, an cars juddering bad while reversing. Its still the crap TY574vn2aa gearbox thats fitted the now.

Intake cone smells abit petrolly aswell and theres black smoke coming off the block assembly and headers (probably spilt oil from change and filter.)

Hopefully Senor Spleetpeen and the jolly good giant will add some technical detail to my slaverings of paash.

Stevesbluewrx 25 August 2010 06:11 AM

Mate,

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee but I don't understand what your saying?

In 200 meters your turbo is red hot?!! WTF? What turbo is on the car or is it full of tarmac at present? lol

Juddering and would have thought the clutch.

Black smoke off the headers? Do you have heat wrap on them? Any signs of fluid in that area?

Steve

The rookie 25 August 2010 08:26 AM

I think he's saying the car is donald ducked.....

01 EJ257? Thought EJ257's were 05My onwards? Please clarify what car you have!

Hot turbo, well yes it gets hot, but is it truly 'red hot' (glowing and red by definition, not just 'a bit warm'), I doubt it, but it will be too hot to touch after 200m

Clutch is jiggered, that's clear enough, no need for an expert!

Haven't got a clue what you mean about the whole lot trying to go up into the turbo, or are you saying the revs just fly up as the clutch slips?

Smoke from manifolds (I'm not American FFS, they are Manifolds, not an aerial football technique!) could be spilt oil or leaking cam cover gaskets.

'Intake cone'? Cone filter? shouldn't smell petrolly, that's a long way for fuel to come back through manifold, intercooler and turbo!

Simon

TonyBurns 25 August 2010 11:55 AM

Can we start with who built the engine, why is there a 2.5ltr in there, what was the 2.5ltr out of (ie wrx/sti/normally asperated).

Tony:)

harvey 25 August 2010 07:02 PM

I don't mind a piss take but I prefer it to be funny.

Rob Day 25 August 2010 07:14 PM

I read this like the turbo is working overtime, ie your getting full boost instantly beyond what the car is capable of (engine, clutch, turbo, gearbox etc), and as such the turbo will glow red hot within a few miles (not 200m) providing you havent shattered the clutch or leaned out the mixture and terminated the engine.

Going back to the 90's I had a Series 1 Rs T that had simular issues, but this was because I was trying to push 200bhp out of the stock car (which I did for a short while) until the turbo glowed white and siezed up. The clutch just before this point was slipping and power band was all or nothing....

I know im not as technically minded as most on here, but feel some experience and offers at suggestions to the issues are better then nowt...

B0DSKI 25 August 2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9565971)
I don't mind a piss take but I prefer it to be funny.

:lol1::thumb:

nick172sport 25 August 2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Minjeeta (Post 9564893)
Turbo is red hot after 200m run from cold start. (decat downpipe)

Everything idles and revs fine, until the revs go up to 3500 - the whole road tries to go up the intake an into the turbo. The clutch starts slipping before I'm quick enough with the pedal.

Think the clutch is fecked anyway, cause its grindin and scuffing when you depress the pedal any. Oh, an cars juddering bad while reversing. Its still the crap TY574vn2aa gearbox thats fitted the now.

Intake cone smells abit petrolly aswell and theres black smoke coming off the block assembly and headers (probably spilt oil from change and filter.)

Hopefully Senor Spleetpeen and the jolly good giant will add some technical detail to my slaverings of paash.

quality thread lol:Suspiciou has it been mapped :Suspiciou:D