ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Worlds strongest beer? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/84778-worlds-strongest-beer.html)

Toerag 04 April 2002 12:14 AM

Take a look at this thread on i-club:-
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=167618
I thought that they brewed a beer to 20% ABV in the Frog & Parrot in Sheffield. Am I right?

P1Fanatic 04 April 2002 03:07 AM

IIRC I went to the Eldridge Pope brewery in Dorset for an Economics trip (no really it was) at college. One of the many beers we sampled was called Thomas Hardys something or other and that was around 14-15%. Either way its all pussy drinkin compared to Absinthes 70-80% :)

Seamus300 04 April 2002 06:36 AM

Couple of years back in my local real ale house they had a "chocolate Christmas beer" that was 16%, tasted as bad as it sounds, stronger the beer the sweeter it seems to get. Like drinking treacle. I blame this beer for making me ill that night.. Cough..

AndyC_772 04 April 2002 07:02 AM

<homer>
Mmmm.... Thomas Hardy's Ale....
</homer>

Wonderful stuff, shame they've stopped making it in the last couple of years. Thankfully I still have a cupboard full, and it keeps for ages :D

It's 12% btw - strong, but some Belgian beers and one-off brews are stronger.

Andy.

SPEN555 04 April 2002 08:30 AM

Toerag,

From what I remember the Beer was called 'Roger & Out' and sold at the Frog & Parrot in Sheffield.

When I was there as a student you were served the drink in a 1/3 pint glasse and received a certficate if you managed to drink two. For me it tasted so disgusting I struggled to finish one! I will stick to Timothy Taylor's Beer! :D :D :D

Oh, and it was around the 20% ABV mark.

Damian.

[Edited by SPEN555 - 4/4/2002 9:46:53 AM]

Butty 04 April 2002 08:36 AM

Thos Hardy - the drink to move up from after quite a few Gold Labels. We had it at a very small local in Surbiton.
It was like fizzy wine - much more potent drinking it through a straw though *_*
A hidden gem in the world of piss artists.

Nick

fast bloke 04 April 2002 09:13 AM

Surely non augmented beer can't be stronger than 14-15% ABV? If it is left to ferment more than this the alcohol kills the yeast. Same with non fortified wine

AndyC_772 04 April 2002 09:23 AM

I think the strongest beers are brewed with Champagne yeast, not the regular brewing kind. It's more tolerant to very high alcohol levels.

A.

ADP 04 April 2002 09:25 AM

I was at Uni in Sheffield and yes indeed the beer was called Roger and Out and at the time was apparently the strongest in the world, cant remember the exact figure.

It was like syrup and was served in quarter pints, my mate had a half pint I think as was spewing for the next hour. though now I think theyve made it weaker to stop all the first years pilling down to get trashed.

Andy

ChrisB 04 April 2002 09:38 AM

"I will stick to Timothy Taylor's Beer"

Nothing like a good bottle of Landlord is there? Found a place in Shrewsbury that had it on draft - a rare find in my book.

SPEN555 04 April 2002 09:47 AM

Chris,

I am in the fortunate position of living in the town where Timothy Taylor's is brewed. They have around 30 pubs in the area so there are no shortages! :D :D :D

Damian.

ChrisB 04 April 2002 09:55 AM

Jammy git!

gregh 04 April 2002 10:03 AM

Gits! Stopped doing Landlord at the nearest place to me, and we've moved offices, so the Friday lunchtime landlord pub in Headingley is miles away :(

Greg

Rich D 04 April 2002 12:05 PM

I was also at Uni in Sheffield and I can indeed confirm that the strongest beer in the world (or was) is served in the Frog & Parrot Pub on Division St. and is called "Roger & Out".
They brew it themsleves and it's some silly % vol, can't remember off the top of my head.

It's like drinking tar and it's served in small meausures, I think 1/4 pint glasses, but trust me it's enough! :eek:

Of course you always end up barfing after a skinful and it brings back painful memories on monster hangovers!!! :(

Aaaaaaahhhhh... happy times! :D

MarkJackon 04 April 2002 02:58 PM

Tennents Extra, make everything else taste like water, four cans and you wake up in a shop doorway !

Its the only time I really want to shout obscenities at passers by and try and play a Harmonica, I have always wanted to get in touch with my "Vagrant Side"

Thank you Tennents for making my life whole.

"Come on yer ffU*k*in C!ntttts, Ill take yer all on"