ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   5 speed clutch on 6 speed box? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/846107-5-speed-clutch-on-6-speed-box.html)

Scoobdogg 11 August 2010 05:28 PM

5 speed clutch on 6 speed box?

Does a five speed clutch work with a six speed box or vice versa?
Just wondering as it's time to upgrade the clutch and will possibly in the near future upgrade the box in the classic to a six speed so just looking at what options there are to keep costs down an save replacing the clutch again.

dazdavies 11 August 2010 05:38 PM

5 speed clutch will work with a six speed box but a six speed clutch won't fit in a 5 speed bell housing.

EH52WRX 11 August 2010 06:29 PM

Yes you can fit either or, if you want to fit a 6 speed clutch to a 5 speed box, you need to grind the inside of the housing, due to the 6 speed set up has castle turrets. And a couple of other things. Any question on this, you should contact David @ Api, he will talk you through the best process.

Scoobdogg 11 August 2010 06:55 PM

Muchos gracias amigos

dazdavies 12 August 2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by EH52WRX (Post 9542450)
Yes you can fit either or, if you want to fit a 6 speed clutch to a 5 speed box, you need to grind the inside of the housing, due to the 6 speed set up has castle turrets. And a couple of other things. Any question on this, you should contact David @ Api, he will talk you through the best process.

Why on earth bother with the hassle of that though? There are plenty of five speed clutches that will cope with proper power.

Grinding a 5 speed box to accept a six speed clutch and flywheel is a complete and utter waste of time, effort, cash.

EH52WRX 12 August 2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 9544604)
Why on earth bother with the hassle of that though? There are plenty of five speed clutches that will cope with proper power.

Grinding a 5 speed box to accept a six speed clutch and flywheel is a complete and utter waste of time, effort, cash.

But that wasn't the question. Simples

Richard.

dazdavies 19 August 2010 03:09 PM

No, the question was can a 6 speed clutch work with a five speed box the answer is no. Unless of course you piss about grinding the 5 speed which of course is a completely cowboy way of doing things. Not only is it pointless but it jeopardizes the strength of the bell housing.

Simple enough for you Numpty?

stef_2010 19 August 2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 9555383)
No, the question was can a 6 speed clutch work with a five speed box the answer is no. Unless of course you piss about grinding the 5 speed which of course is a completely cowboy way of doing things. Not only is it pointless but it jeopardizes the strength of the bell housing.

:lol1:

Sorry for slightly changing the subject but can anyone tell me the advantages of fitting a 6 speed rather than keeping a 5 speed classic type R box /

thanks

dazdavies 19 August 2010 05:24 PM

Hi Stef,

The reason is a simple one, strength. The six speed gearbox is much much stronger then any of the five speed ones. Although the ratios aren't ideal and they are substantially (+30Kgs) heavier.

rooferman 19 August 2010 07:26 PM

And take a bit of getting used too......as i have found out....lol

EH52WRX 19 August 2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 9555383)

What a fcuking arse you are, calling me a numpty.

David @ Api does this conversion actually, Simples.

So who's the fcuking no it all, no it fcuk all.

dazdavies 20 August 2010 12:05 AM

ooooh rattled your numpty cage have I?

I don't care who does it. It's a proper sh*t way of doing things. It's completely unecassary especially when there are plenty of five speed clutches around that will cope with well over 500ft/lbs and some with well over 600ftlbs.

Now go and do one faggot numpty :p :hjtwofing