ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   £4.50 per film from Blockbusters! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/845375-4-50-per-film-from-blockbusters.html)

Dingdongler 06 August 2010 04:59 PM

£4.50 per film from Blockbusters!

I can't believe that these guys have put their prices up!:mad:

Its now £4.50 per blu ray film for one night :eek:That is really far too much for one film isn't it? They do a deal where you can have 3 films for £10 over three nights. This works out at a far more reasonable price of £3.30 but not many people have the time to watch a film every night for three nights on the trot, I don't.

I'm going to have a look at those mail order i love film type companies, anybody use them?

Kieran_Burns 06 August 2010 05:10 PM

If I ever want to watch a film on disc I just buy it. I'll always have it available whenever I want and there's never a problem with the quality of the disc itself

SteveScooby 06 August 2010 05:11 PM

I use LoveFilm, and found them to be spot on, the only problem is you have to select a "wishlist" of films and they send them as and when, so you can't choose a particular film on a particular date.

stevebt 06 August 2010 05:12 PM

I would rather buy the film on blueray than pay £4.50 for one nights rental.

SteveScooby 06 August 2010 05:12 PM

Also LoveFilm are offering £15 cash back at the minute through Quidco, and a 2 week free trial

cookstar 06 August 2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteveScooby (Post 9534398)
Also LoveFilm are offering £15 cash back at the minute through Quidco, and a 2 week free trial

Thanks for that, just joined. :thumb:

Dingdongler 06 August 2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveScooby (Post 9534398)

Thanks, I've just joined quidco. How do I actually get the cash back once I subscribe to love film?:)

Dingdongler 06 August 2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 9534431)
Thanks for that, just joined. :thumb:

Which package did you go for?

PaulC72 06 August 2010 07:54 PM

We are with Lovefilm too (was with Amazon until they merged or whatever) its a pretty good servie for the cost and we get enough films to justify paying for the service.

I also find paying the 12month in advance (or six months) saves even more money.

SteveScooby 06 August 2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9534538)
Thanks, I've just joined quidco. How do I actually get the cash back once I subscribe to love film?:)

It will shown as tracked after a couple of days, the LoveFilm will update it to validated. A couple of months later they pay it to Quidco, who then pay it in to your account.

It's not very quick, but it's money for nothing, just make sure you've got your bank details filled in.

EddScott 06 August 2010 09:43 PM

To be honest I miss our local blockbuster. There isn't a rental shop in Pembrokeshire anymore.

It was expensive but it gave us something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon. An hour in the shop to argue over what to watch. Watch the nippers choice first, watch the wifes choice and then watch mine :)

Jamo 06 August 2010 09:49 PM

just rent one get the rest free.

tell them when you take it back that its scratched. when you get to the 5th one for free say this is a joke and the last 5 have been scratched, say I want to complain to the head office. you will get your next two free then :D (its blockbuster normal procedure!) lol muppets.

Dingdongler 06 August 2010 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou (Post 9534867)
just rent one get the rest free.

tell them when you take it back that its scratched. when you get to the 5th one for free say this is a joke and the last 5 have been scratched, say I want to complain to the head office. you will get your next two free then :D (its blockbuster normal procedure!) lol muppets.

That's called being dishonest and makes you no better than a common thief :mad:

Norman D. Landings 06 August 2010 10:42 PM

whereas downloading it instead makes you hip

Lisawrx 07 August 2010 12:13 AM

I wouldn't pay £4.50 just to rent a film for a night (not anymore).

Going back a few years, it cost about £3.50 to rent a DVD at Blockbusters, not much of an increase really, but we stopped doing it as it was a rip off then. We were rarely so desperate to watch something that we couldn't either wait for the price of a DVD to buy to come down, or they had a deal on for so many ex-rentals for a certain price.

Now tbh, it doesn't take that long for supermarkets to have films on sale for not much more than the rental price, or get lucky and get a decent pre order price. I'd rather pay a little more and have the film to keep, than have my eyes torn out at BB for a night. Maybe doesn't apply so much for Blu-ray, but then I am quite happy to just watch a normal DVD.

corradoboy 07 August 2010 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9534538)

Go to LoveFilm via the Quidco link, this is vital otherwise you won't get you money. Then just join up and Quidco/Lovefilm will do the rest. As stated earlier, your cashback will be paid in time, but it could be a few months. Use it for insurances for some massive cashbacks. We got £70 for the wifes cars ins this year, and £20 back on £28 worth of AA membership. Remember though, you MUST go to the retailler via the Quidco link !!!!!!!

Also check HotUKDeals for discount voucher codes and other deals. It's amazing how much can be saved with a tiny amount of effort ;)

Dingdongler 07 August 2010 05:57 AM

Lisa agreed. Even blu rays will often be available to buy new for £7.99 or so over the net and ex rental DVDs often £3 at BB. Now it definitely makes more sense to wait a little while and buy the disc.

NDL, I have no idea what you mean. But I'm afraid I don't think defrauding anybody is hip, funny or cool. If I don't like BB's prices I'll take my business elsewhere but I'm not going to start stealing from them. It is no different to somebody burglarizing my house

Cheers CB, I've never used Quidco before but will keep an eye on it to see if I can make some beer money;)

michaelro 07 August 2010 12:57 PM

T-mobile night in?
2 films + 2 x crisps, sweets or drink ( blockbusters own) for £5 for 2 nights

Would recommend Lovefilm, quite often copied the films to watch later so you get moneys worth :thumb:

corradoboy 07 August 2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9535115)
Cheers CB, I've never used Quidco before but will keep an eye on it to see if I can make some beer money;)

Easy done. My balance is over £200, with the majority just this year. Foolish not to really.

StickyMicky 07 August 2010 07:06 PM

£4.50 seams a little extreme.

Just wait a few more weeks and buy them from the supermarket, if the film is good = keep it.
If thew film is crap = car boot sale stock :)

Jamo 07 August 2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9534936)
That's called being dishonest and makes you no better than a common thief :mad:

if you had bothered to ask, you would have realised I found this out the hard way, as the 5 I had were actually scratched!!

thanks for your polite reply though....

Dingdongler 07 August 2010 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou (Post 9535943)
if you had bothered to ask, you would have realised I found this out the hard way, as the 5 I had were actually scratched!!

thanks for your polite reply though....

Well this was your previous post

ust rent one get the rest free.

tell them when you take it back that its scratched. when you get to the 5th one for free say this is a joke and the last 5 have been scratched, say I want to complain to the head office. you will get your next two free then http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/biggrin.gif (its blockbuster normal procedure!) lol muppets. __________________

seemed like step by step instructions on how to rip them off, followed by calling them muppets for being so easy.:wonder:

jaytc2003 07 August 2010 11:48 PM

Love Film are rubbish, I joined with their offer, chose my top ten that I wanted to watch (the last few were ones I just chose as I couldnt think of others due to seeing at cinema etc) they only ever had the last choice on 2 occasions! Needless to say I cancelled the subscription with them. Blockbuster do 4 blu ray for £10 for 4 days (did a few days ago anyway) only prob is they dont have a great blu ray selection

Jamz3k 08 August 2010 12:12 AM

Dont know if you have them over on the mainland but Xtra-Vision aren't too bad, 3 blu-rays for three nights for £8.

Renting movies just aint the same since DVD came out.:(

Jamo 08 August 2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9536282)
Well this was your previous post

ust rent one get the rest free.

tell them when you take it back that its scratched. when you get to the 5th one for free say this is a joke and the last 5 have been scratched, say I want to complain to the head office. you will get your next two free then http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/biggrin.gif (its blockbuster normal procedure!) lol muppets. __________________

seemed like step by step instructions on how to rip them off, followed by calling them muppets for being so easy.:wonder:

you can take it as you wish, but it was just that. I honestly dont give a fcuk.

Dingdongler 08 August 2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 9536352)
Love Film are rubbish, I joined with their offer, chose my top ten that I wanted to watch (the last few were ones I just chose as I couldnt think of others due to seeing at cinema etc) they only ever had the last choice on 2 occasions! Needless to say I cancelled the subscription with them. Blockbuster do 4 blu ray for £10 for 4 days (did a few days ago anyway) only prob is they dont have a great blu ray selection

Jay, are you saying that they had the first nine choices but didn't have the last? That's not too bad is it?

The problem with the BB deal is that there is no way I'll have time to watch 4 films in 4 days, and as you said their blu ray selection is rubbish. They give more floor space to chocolates then they do to blu rays.

On Friday I rented The Green Zone and yesterday The Spy Next Door (Jackie Chan, absolute sh1te, but needed something child friendly) so that's £9 for two films one of which was so bad I felt like asking for my money back.
On the basis of that Love film is probably worth a go for me.