ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Labour's Legacy to us all ..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/843242-labours-legacy-to-us-all.html)

pslewis 23 July 2010 09:50 PM

Labour's Legacy to us all .....

The UK economy grew by a faster-than-expected 1.1% in the second quarter of the year, according to official data.

The figure - a preliminary estimate from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) - was almost double the 0.6% growth rate expected by economists.

It was the fastest quarterly expansion since 2006, and marked a sharp pick-up in pace from the 0.3% growth of the first three months of the year.

Much of the growth came from the key services sector.

Within the services sector, which accounts for about three-quarters of the UK economy, business and finance posted its strongest rise in almost three years, rising by 1.3% over the quarter

Seems that Labour got it absolutely right!

Get ready for things to get worse now that the Tories are at the healm! :(

warrenm2 23 July 2010 11:13 PM

finance sector - you mean the bankers are ok now they are contributing to growth once more?

fatherpierre 24 July 2010 12:41 AM

Labour's legacy is DEBT

Nothing else.

Shambles of a government

rik-1 24 July 2010 01:14 AM

Strange then that they could not achieve this before the General election...

Or, was it that the country was brimming with confidence, once it became obvious that we were going to end up with a new government.

Leslie 24 July 2010 09:09 AM

The only way for the economy from where NL left it was up, it was about as far down as it could go before we joined Greece.

Now that we have a Conservative government the increased confidence from the rest of the world is beginning to show results.

Les

dpb 24 July 2010 09:26 AM

That 1.1% could be entirley atributed to the little loan we took out

:cuckoo:

The Zohan 24 July 2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 9511350)
Labour's legacy is DEBT

Nothing else.

Shambles of a government

+1

andythejock01wrx 24 July 2010 09:50 AM

Can't help thinking that Pete was anticipating this response, lol!

David Lock 24 July 2010 10:06 AM

Labour' legacy was Primary School teachers earning 180 grand a year or whatever it was......

dl

Leslie 24 July 2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 9511550)
Can't help thinking that Pete was anticipating this response, lol!

By Jove, you are quick off the mark!

Les ;)

GC8 24 July 2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9511065)
The UK economy grew by a faster-than-expected 1.1% in the second quarter of the year, according to official data.

The figure - a preliminary estimate from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) - was almost double the 0.6% growth rate expected by economists.

It was the fastest quarterly expansion since 2006, and marked a sharp pick-up in pace from the 0.3% growth of the first three months of the year.

Much of the growth came from the key services sector.

Within the services sector, which accounts for about three-quarters of the UK economy, business and finance posted its strongest rise in almost three years, rising by 1.3% over the quarter

Seems that Labour got it absolutely right!

Get ready for things to get worse now that the Tories are at the healm! :(

zip106 24 July 2010 12:21 PM

Do.
Not.
Feed.

andythejock01wrx 24 July 2010 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 9511740)

Was Simon's post deleted perchance?

chocolate_o_brian 25 July 2010 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 9512800)
Was Simon's post deleted perchance?

I don't think the naughty word for "lady garden" bypasses the swear filter;):D

Snazy 25 July 2010 05:50 PM

I agree with Pete, good riddance to Labour. That's what you meant, right Pete? Lol

f1_fan 25 July 2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9511503)
The only way for the economy from where NL left it was up, it was about as far down as it could go before we joined Greece.

Now that we have a Conservative government the increased confidence from the rest of the world is beginning to show results.

Les

LOL, that is almost as mad thinking in the oppposite direction as Pete's original post.

We haven't got a Conservative government, we have a coalition government and I doubt the city places too much confidence in that.

The 1.1% is a blip and we will not see growth again like that this year.

Will that be down to the Conservatives or as it's bad news will that be Labour's fault again?

No party really has a clue and we will all ultimnately suffer no matter what direction they take as they really have no idea what to do.

kingofturds 25 July 2010 06:07 PM

What we need is some good old fashioned communism:D no party has the balls to do what is needed with the Country and even if they did they would be out on their arses in 4 years if they tried to impliment those changes.

hodgy0_2 25 July 2010 07:33 PM

posters attitude to DEBT/borrowing shows such a massive lack of understanding of how the world/finance/economy works no wonder 99% of them whirl in a ball of confusion

GlesgaKiss 25 July 2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9513705)
LOL, that is almost as mad thinking in the oppposite direction as Pete's original post.

We haven't got a Conservative government, we have a coalition government and I doubt the city places too much confidence in that.

Will that be down to the Conservatives or as it's bad news will that be Labour's fault again?

No party really has a clue and we will all ultimnately suffer no matter what direction they take as they really have no idea what to do.

What's the best solution for economic growth in your opinion?

warrenm2 25 July 2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9513848)
posters attitude to DEBT/borrowing shows such a massive lack of understanding of how the world/finance/economy works no wonder 99% of them whirl in a ball of confusion

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA - pot and kettle!

LeeMac 26 July 2010 02:27 AM

Seems to be the in word at the mo 'Debt'

When Labour took over (leaking school roofs, hospital wards closed etc etc) they inherited a 1T deficit
13 years later after improving education (my mrs is a lecturer) and the hospitals (she worked in one whilst gaining degree) the banks went under and the gov bailed them out, which what looked like due to media but probably not so and then the ConDems came in with a deficit of 1.5T and thats with the county in recession and bailing out banks

the country went through fantastic period in 2002-2006, house prices especially, lots and lots of work despite more people living in the country (which Im not the happiest about TBH)

The country has a AAA financial rating which is as good as it can get

its all media hype

the world is in recession mainly down to US banks

I believe the country is in better hands under a labour gov
the cons are hoity toity lardy dahs who are not in your average jo's world
thats you and me

the head teacher earning 270k or whatever, he earned 100k for his main job and the rest outside that, that is up to him and those that pay him, just like footballers and those who pay them

have an opinion by all means but do not repeat words printed in the media (I used to work for a national newspaper!)

The worst thing about the country in my eyes is Respect for others
it does not exist and this is the main thing the country needs as a starter

GlesgaKiss 26 July 2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by LeeMac (Post 9514470)
Seems to be the in word at the mo 'Debt'

When Labour took over (leaking school roofs, hospital wards closed etc etc) they inherited a 1T deficit
13 years later after improving education (my mrs is a lecturer) and the hospitals (she worked in one whilst gaining degree) the banks went under and the gov bailed them out, which what looked like due to media but probably not so and then the ConDems came in with a deficit of 1.5T and thats with the county in recession and bailing out banks

the country went through fantastic period in 2002-2006, house prices especially, lots and lots of work despite more people living in the country (which Im not the happiest about TBH)

The country has a AAA financial rating which is as good as it can get

its all media hype

the world is in recession mainly down to US banks

I believe the country is in better hands under a labour gov
the cons are hoity toity lardy dahs who are not in your average jo's world
thats you and me

the head teacher earning 270k or whatever, he earned 100k for his main job and the rest outside that, that is up to him and those that pay him, just like footballers and those who pay them

have an opinion by all means but do not repeat words printed in the media (I used to work for a national newspaper!)

The worst thing about the country in my eyes is Respect for others
it does not exist and this is the main thing the country needs as a starter

Where are you getting the debt figures for when Labour took over? Take a look at this - http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/debt_brief.php

That 'fantastic period' you talked about wasn't real. People suddenly started speculating with houses because of terrible government monetary policies and lending standards. The worst thing is that people actually want that to come back... thinking it was a good thing. Who knows though, house prices might stay the same or rise over the next few years, but I think only in nominal terms, so nothings really rising, but of course the value of our money is falling. So anyone that's responsible, does the right thing and saves their wealth sees it pissed up the wall by people thinking spending is the key to growth.

Also, the AAA ratings: well there was a large proportion of sub-prime mortgages rated at the highest rating, so what do they know.

Bailing out the banks was the worst thing Labour could have done. It looks good now because we've had some temporary superficial GDP growth, but really under the surface they've done more bad than good.

Leslie 26 July 2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9513705)

I stand by my first statement but I think you may well be right about the 1.1% being a blip.

I suppose it would have been more accurate not to say a Conservative government so much as NL not being our governing party now-thank goodness!

At least the ruling parties are taking positive action to reduce the borrowing which we desperately need to do instead of pissing the cash against the wall!

Les

Trout 26 July 2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9511065)
healm

What is a healm?

dpb 26 July 2010 11:44 AM

its probably what stink pot drivers call the steering wheel :D

Leslie 26 July 2010 01:06 PM

I doubt that he will answer that one either!

Les

f1_fan 26 July 2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 9513872)
What's the best solution for economic growth in your opinion?

Well seeing as you asked there are many things we could do that go a lot further than what is being done now.

There are 2 major ways to help the economy right now - reduce spending and stimulate economic productivity.

On the first point and just as a for instance how about we -

- cancel all foreign aid and pull our tropps out of Afghanisatn and Iraq - money that if we had it (and we don't) we could be spending at home.

- drastically cut the benefits system and I mean drastically to the bear minumum

- all those who are able bodied and haven't had a job for 3 months or more can do work in the comunity - earn their benefit. No work, no pay.

- cut child benefit altogether - if you can't afford one don't have one.

On the second point we could -

- incentivise business start ups by leaning on the banks we now partly own, giving tax benefits for new businesses, guaranteed loan rates etc. etc.

- make it attractive for manufacturing companies to set up here again, cheap land, removal of red tape, fix minimum wage for next 10 years and give guaranteed wage structures (surely people would rather work than not even if they don't go on strike every year for a 10% pay rise) etc etc.

- charge different rates of VAT for goods made in the UK to those made outside

- spend what money we do have on sensible housing, NHS and education system projects overseen by business focused cost conscious companies ensuring that the best value for money is obtained and jobs created as a result

- do away with any form of grants or loans for students wanting to study non essential subjects such as theology or the hstory of art and ply money and effort into making courses on relevant subjects the world's best.

- get people from successful UK businesses into government circles to act as advisors to the treasury and other governement departments on how to go out to the people and stimulate business and industrial growth etc.

There is a lot more we could be doing as a country and a lot of it is very painful, but if we are to come out of this stronger and better then the pain is needed.

GlesgaKiss 26 July 2010 03:06 PM

Cheers for your reply. That was a genuine question by the way. A lot of points there I agree with.

mattvortex 26 July 2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9515132)
Well seeing as you asked there are many things we could do that go a lot further than what is being done now.

There are 2 major ways to help the economy right now - reduce spending and stimulate economic productivity.

On the first point and just as a for instance how about we -

- cancel all foreign aid and pull our tropps out of Afghanisatn and Iraq - money that if we had it (and we don't) we could be spending at home.

- drastically cut the benefits system and I mean drastically to the bear minumum

- all those who are able bodied and haven't had a job for 3 months or more can do work in the comunity - earn their benefit. No work, no pay.

- cut child benefit altogether - if you can't afford one don't have one.

On the second point we could -

- incentivise business start ups by leaning on the banks we now partly own, giving tax benefits for new businesses, guaranteed loan rates etc. etc.

- make it attractive for manufacturing companies to set up here again, cheap land, removal of red tape, fix minimum wage for next 10 years and give guaranteed wage structures (surely people would rather work than not even if they don't go on strike every year for a 10% pay rise) etc etc.

- charge different rates of VAT for goods made in the UK to those made outside

- spend what money we do have on sensible housing, NHS and education system projects overseen by business focused cost conscious companies ensuring that the best value for money is obtained and jobs created as a result

- do away with any form of grants or loans for students wanting to study non essential subjects such as theology or the hstory of art and ply money and effort into making courses on relevant subjects the world's best.

- get people from successful UK businesses into government circles to act as advisors to the treasury and other governement departments on how to go out to the people and stimulate business and industrial growth etc.

There is a lot more we could be doing as a country and a lot of it is very painful, but if we are to come out of this stronger and better then the pain is needed.

You got my vote!!:luxhello:

Leslie 28 July 2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 9513719)
What we need is some good old fashioned communism:D no party has the balls to do what is needed with the Country and even if they did they would be out on their arses in 4 years if they tried to impliment those changes.

Funnily enough there were a surprising number of people who were thinking that way coming up to an election a good few years ago.

If that ever did happen, I doubt you would be too happy about it.

Les