ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The recession "Round 2" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/843031-the-recession-round-2-a.html)

BlkKnight 22 July 2010 02:04 PM

The recession "Round 2"

Just had a letter from Ernst & Young stating that some of our customers have gone into compulsory liquidation:

Swallow Hotels
London & Edinburgh Inns
Newlord Limited
The Gourmet Pub Company
Winlease Limited
React Inns Limited
London & Edinburgh Swallow Group Limited

Not good news for them.

GlesgaKiss 22 July 2010 02:10 PM

This is just the start too. There will surely be quite a shrinking of the service sector in the years to come.

STi wanna Subaru 22 July 2010 02:13 PM

Maybe if they charged a fairer price they'd do better. I always thought we were still in round 1 anyway

P20SPD 22 July 2010 03:29 PM

Round 2 has been about for a few months now for those businesses who noticed the recession first in late 2007, and survived, and then saw improved trading from mid 2009 to early 2010.

Problem now with Round 2 is that a lot of these businesses no longer have the "fat reserves" to see them through this second wave.

I have lost count now, the number of clients who have rung me in the last 2 months to say they are struggling or the banks wont renew overdraft facilities, etc.

SJ_Skyline 22 July 2010 03:45 PM

I'm amazed Jessops have survived so far.

Petem95 22 July 2010 03:57 PM

Firm I work for came through the first part (2008-9 recession) ok. A lot of smaller customers of ours went under, but we took on some big customers which made up for it. We've taken a hit recently tho and are well off targets, and it doesn't look like there will be any big wins to make up for things this time..

The weird thing at the moment is everything is still running off bail-out money, so things look quite good on the surface.

IMO it'll take a little while for the spending cuts and public sector job cuts to sink through.

fitzscoob 22 July 2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 9508578)
Just had a letter from Ernst & Young stating that some of our customers have gone into compulsory liquidation:

Swallow Hotels
London & Edinburgh Inns
Newlord Limited
The Gourmet Pub Company
Winlease Limited
React Inns Limited
London & Edinburgh Swallow Group Limited

Not good news for them.

What industry are you in as I deal with a lot of hotels as well.

Sadly I believe we have another two years left of the recession, belts tightening all over. We have a small family business and I cant see many if any surviving this.

BlkKnight 22 July 2010 04:44 PM

We sell exercise & fitness equipment - 11 employees including family!

fitzscoob 22 July 2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 9508810)
We sell exercise & fitness equipment - 11 employees including family!

Ah ok cool, we produce leather goods, room folders, menu covers etc for most of the 5 star properties.

Not sure about you but working with family is far too much of an effort at times!

BlkKnight 22 July 2010 11:26 PM

The folks have been doing it for 20+ years - we're well practised in separating work from home.

Gordo 23 July 2010 08:53 AM

History says that most business failures actually happen in an upturn, rather than through the depths of the recession, as businesses over-trade, being unable to access the working capital required to pick up again.

That said, these businesses feel like genuine liquidations - i.e. the weak falling out of the market - and it certainly doesn't feel like there's an upturn in sight yet!

Gordo

pslewis 23 July 2010 09:01 AM

The Estate Agents on the South Coast have started ringing me again.

I was looking for another home, retirement home, on the South Coast during the last downturn .... I didn't have to sell, so the falling market was an opportunity for me.

The falls were nothing really, not many properties for sale and sellers holding out. The prices recovered and the Estate Agents (who had been ringing me daily) stop calling. Until the last 3 weeks where their interest in me as a buyer not a seller and with finance secured has racked up remarkably ...... clearly they are trailing through their previous contacts as buyers have disappeared.

This next year will see houses lose the 35% in value which I fully expected last time around, properties are flooding to the market and buyers have left. That can only mean one thing - BIG price falls.

StickyMicky 23 July 2010 12:54 PM

I noticed our wash figures dropping as soon as the credit crunch stuff hit the media, but it appears to be picking up slowly now, at the end of last year we were 40% down :eek:

Last month we were only 16% down. month before that 24%

So the graphs show us moving upwards, we are understaffed now though, i just work all the extra hours up myself, i would kill for a 3 day holiday :mad:

stevebt 23 July 2010 03:00 PM

The growth of the economy shows different. I think most of the firms going under are ones still suffering from the start of the recession. Maybe they didn't think it would last as long as I for one certainly didn't and the drop in prices isn't enough to save firms as most people are already cutting down on their spending and leisure groups are bottom of most people's lists for spending?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10737352