ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   help with service details UK 2000 turbo (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/843004-help-with-service-details-uk-2000-turbo.html)

fireengine 22 July 2010 10:03 AM

help with service details UK 2000 turbo

1. Can someone tell me the correct spark plugs for the 98 UK turbo 2000. Is gapping them needed and if so what gap. They look a bit tricky to get at and as this is my first attempt id like some advice and which tool I need to change them. I have a standard spark plug socket etc but nothing fancy. Any watch outs please.

2. Im changing oil and oil filter and will get opie oil service pack but will I need a washer for sump plug and where would i get that easily if required?

3. How much oil in gearbox please?

thanks

Tim

Glowplug 22 July 2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by fireengine (Post 9508203)
1. Can someone tell me the correct spark plugs for the 98 UK turbo 2000. Is gapping them needed and if so what gap. They look a bit tricky to get at and as this is my first attempt id like some advice and which tool I need to change them. I have a standard spark plug socket etc but nothing fancy. Any watch outs please.

2. Im changing oil and oil filter and will get opie oil service pack but will I need a washer for sump plug and where would i get that easily if required?

3. How much oil in gearbox please?

thanks

Tim

Correct plugs for a standard engine are NGK PFR6B gapped to 0.04mm, check them before fitting, i've had packs that have been correctly pre gapped and others have been miles out. You will need a socket set with various size extension bars and may also find it easier to remove some or all of the following, air box/CAIK, washer bottle, battery.

Oil Change:

Something like this then:

1) Warm engine
2) Drain old oil from sump
3) Remove old filter
4) Pre-fill new filter with fresh oil. Fill and keep filling until it won't take anymore.
5) Apply new filter
6) Apply new washer to sump plug and tighten (
7) Fill engine oil filler to mid-way between two holes on the dipstick
8) Disconnect crank sensor
9) (Preferably) remove spark plugs
10) Dry crank engine at least until oil pressure light extinguishes - ideally for 20 seconds or so more.
11) Refit spark plugs
12) Refit crank sensor plug
13) Start engine, leave to idle for a good minute or so before driving for oil pressure to stabilise
14) Check sump plug and filter seal for adequate tightness/leaks
15) Go for slow drive until engine fully warmed
16) Top engine oil to upper hole
17) Check sump plug and filter seal for adequate tightness/leaks

Gearbox:

The Castrol Syntrax is good, so is Mobil 1 SHC 75w/90, so is Redline Shockproof, so is Silkolene Syn5, and I'm sure there are others too.
IIRC, gearbox capacity is somewhere between 3.2 and 3.8 litres. The earlier cars had smaller casings so they take less, while the newer cars take more.

Hth.

fireengine 22 July 2010 12:45 PM

Thankyou very much. Where can I order a sump washer from or is this a main dealer bit?

Tim

Keith Collings 22 July 2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by fireengine (Post 9508441)
Thankyou very much. Where can I order a sump washer from or is this a main dealer bit?

Tim

I get mine here with filter and sump plug washer :)

http://www.japanesecarimports.net/pa...en=&searchKey=

joz8968 22 July 2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9508413)
...gapped to 0.04mm...

:eek:

bat, I think that accident has had more of a profound effect on you than you first thought! :D

It's 0.8mm. Although most people have revised this to 0.7mm - or if upped boost level, then 0.65mm, or even 0.6mm.

I think you meant that to read "40thou", right? ;) Even then, 0.04" is 1.02mm - so way too large a gap regardless...

fireengine 22 July 2010 02:38 PM

Mine is running standard so why dont I go for 0.8mm. What difference does .1mm make im interested to learn.

joz8968 22 July 2010 02:41 PM

It doesn't do any harm, and can only prevent potential misfires caused by the boost blowing the spark out.

I'd go for 0.7mm on a std car.

Don't forget that going from 0.8 to 0.7 has closed the gap up by a significant 12.5%!

fireengine 22 July 2010 02:50 PM

0.7 it is.

Is there any way of checking condition of HT cables and coil pack or do you have to wait for an obvious misfire or uneveness? last winter I spring I dont get this problem.

joz8968 22 July 2010 02:58 PM

It's hard to check HT leads as any hairline, or even microscopic!, fractures can't be seen (it's all it needs for the spark to arc). They have weatherproof covering anyway - so can only form a general impression by age/visible condition, etc.

If you get a powerful magnifying glass lol on the coilpack, you might be able to pick up any obvious micro-fratcures...

But if you feel no misfires, then they probably are okay.

Glowplug 22 July 2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9508611)
:eek:

bat, I think that accident has had more of a profound effect on you than you first thought! :D

It's 0.8mm. Although most people have revised this to 0.7mm - or if upped boost level, then 0.65mm, or even 0.6mm.

I think you meant that to read "40thou", right? ;) Even then, 0.04" is 1.02mm - so way too large a gap regardless...

Doh! Think your right Joz:o:lol1:

Dno what i was thinkin:lol1:

joz8968 22 July 2010 03:11 PM

No worries. ;)