ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Has anybody bought their car back after a total loss? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/842942-has-anybody-bought-their-car-back-after-a-total-loss.html)

cookstar 21 July 2010 08:55 PM

Has anybody bought their car back after a total loss?

The wife was driving along on Saturday when some spanner jumped a give way line and crunched into the front of our car, then sped off. :mad:

There is only quite minor damage to our car (wing, bumper, bonnet and bumper). However it's looking quite likely it's going to be a total loss due the price of these parts new. Being an M sport the bumpers cost ££££££.

However by sourcing second hand parts and having some of it repaired rather than replaced, I reckon I could get it done for less than £1k. BMW are talking about £5k+.

What is the procedure for buying back your car? Also does anyone have any idea what we will need to part with for it?

Car is a 2002 530D M Sport.

GC8 21 July 2010 09:06 PM

Theyll sell it you, but the salvage will sell for strong money, so it wont be the bargain that many cars are.

burbling1 21 July 2010 09:10 PM

My impreza got rear ended last year, I went to reputable bodyshop and was quoted £1500 to repair. I rang the other drivers insurance company up and told them about the quote. The following day they rang back and said due to the value of my car it would be written off, they offered me £1400 and my car, I had the money in my account the same day. I bought a second hand bumper and bumper bar, front bumper resprayed, boot, spoiler and rear quarter done for £800.

cookstar 21 July 2010 09:10 PM

Any idea at all? I haven't the first clue on an amount, I was hoping for it to be no more than £1000 - £1500.

ian_wrx 21 July 2010 09:15 PM

I bought my old megane off the insurance after being rear ended I bought it for 10% of the full payout so a bargain at £90 then sold it a week later for £500 as a cat d, as the damage was just to the back bumper :)

pinkypurkhardt 21 July 2010 09:21 PM

i had a car wrote of a few year back and they offered me the car back for 10% of the payout

cookstar 21 July 2010 09:28 PM

Fingers crossed then, does anybody know if I have a right to buy it back or is it down to the discretion of the insurers?

ian_wrx 21 July 2010 09:31 PM

It's down to them mate as when they pay you they are buying the car from you but if it's a cat d then most insurers will let you buy it back

hodgy0_2 21 July 2010 09:36 PM

yes

my VGC 1990 BB Oak Green Golf 16v got rear ended about 4 years ago

the insurance loss assessor suggested it was only worth £600 quid (pre crash value)

i told him he was talking out of his sphincter and that this model was quite sort after and worth at least £1300.00

after a bit of negotiation we settled on a figure of £900 -- and I kept the car

unfortunatly it was beyond economical repair -- and I sold it whole for scrap for about £250 quid

the bottom line is they will do a deal as it saves on admin etc (they dont want to have to dispose of your car etc)

PaulC72 21 July 2010 10:28 PM

When I erm crashed my RA in 2008 although it was not repairable and they paid me out around 3.5k I could have purchased it back for around £700 and broke it myself.

my94wrx 21 July 2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 9507489)
The wife was driving along on Saturday when some spanner jumped a give way line and crunched into the front of our car, then sped off. :mad:

There is only quite minor damage to our car (wing, bumper, bonnet and bumper). However it's looking quite likely it's going to be a total loss due the price of these parts new. Being an M sport the bumpers cost ££££££.

However by sourcing second hand parts and having some of it repaired rather than replaced, I reckon I could get it done for less than £1k. BMW are talking about £5k+.

What is the procedure for buying back your car? Also does anyone have any idea what we will need to part with for it?

Car is a 2002 530D M Sport.

yeah they will usually sell it back to you, it used to be around 10% but when i bought mine back it was at 17% also bear in mind that the car will more then likley be a cat c write off and will need a vic check.

beef-on-the-bone 21 July 2010 11:09 PM

my impreza was written off after being stolen in dec, told them i would wantto keep the car when sorting out the claim, they sent my money, minus 30% for salvage and then my excess
will soon be back on the road better than she was before with a few more additions ;)