ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Had my Subaru.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/842763-had-my-subaru.html)

WRX-John 20 July 2010 09:08 PM

Had my Subaru....

About 2 months now and I keep getting a wif of fuel when I come to a roundabout or a set of lights etc, it's a MY99 I have a power graph of 286bhp not done to long ago at power engineering. I always run it on 99 octane, it does have an updated baileys dump valve on it which I'm desperate to take off but can't yet due to the past owner cutting and blanking the pipe off half way down, grrr

Soooo can a Chav valve throw the fuel ratio out ? It does around 225 miles to a full tank, it drives like new no stutters or cutting out when coming to a stop

any ideas ?

dave247 21 July 2010 12:47 AM

Try to avoid roundabouts ;)

WRX-John 21 July 2010 10:24 AM

Lol thanks, problem sorted then

Glowplug 21 July 2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by WRX-John (Post 9505839)
About 2 months now and I keep getting a wif of fuel when I come to a roundabout or a set of lights etc, it's a MY99 I have a power graph of 286bhp not done to long ago at power engineering. I always run it on 99 octane, it does have an updated baileys dump valve on it which I'm desperate to take off but can't yet due to the past owner cutting and blanking the pipe off half way down, grrr

Soooo can a Chav valve throw the fuel ratio out ? It does around 225 miles to a full tank, it drives like new no stutters or cutting out when coming to a stop

any ideas ?

Yes a VTA dump valve will effect the AFR, air being dumped from the system causes a tad of over-fuel but i wouldn't expect to be smelling it in the cabin:wonder:

The petrol tank is under the back seat, might be worth taking a look to see if all is tight and sealed, [previous owner may of done some work under there]. I take it you have checked around the engine bay for obvious causes.

TonyBurns 21 July 2010 12:56 PM

You can get leaks around the injectors, the fuel rails, the pipes going through the bulkhead into the engine bay (passenger side), so worth looking there, you should see it drip if its really bad.

Tony:)

53 21 July 2010 12:59 PM

Any other mods, carbon canister removal with poorly routed VTA pipes can lead to smells when coming to a stop.

joz8968 21 July 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9506615)

Blimey, where have you been. :freak3:

You last posted in April... and now in 2 threads on the same day! :D :thumb: ;)

Is it 'good' to be back? lol :lol1:

Glowplug 21 July 2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9506711)
Blimey, where have you been. :freak3:

You last posted in April... and now in 2 threads on the same day! :D :thumb: ;)

Is it 'good' to be back? lol :lol1:

Bah!! Hellish few months mate. Gone from working 6 days a week and happy go lucky to long term sick and bankrupt :cry::freak3::brickwall [But thats another thread all together]

Yeah it's good to be getting back :lol1:

joz8968 21 July 2010 02:33 PM

Oh dear - lost job? Or massive debt? :(

LEUVEN 21 July 2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by WRX-John (Post 9505839)

any ideas ?

When you say "wif of fuel" do you mean the smell of neat petrol or the exhaust fumes smell?
If it's the latter then as it's likely there is a nice little run up to the roundabout to get up to a nice speed, the sudden slowing down to a stop after being at WOT will carry all the fumes in the air with the car and back into the cabin, especially if you have the windows open on a nice sunny day.
OIH :)

joz8968 21 July 2010 07:47 PM

+ h + f ;)

Glowplug 21 July 2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9506797)
Oh dear - lost job? Or massive debt? :(

Mmmmmmmm, both after a bad accident:freak3:

Zero coming in, zero going out:Whatever_

Got to keep the Scoob though:luvlove: Even if i have to SORN her;)

joz8968 21 July 2010 09:03 PM

Accident too!?!?! Flippin' 'eck - can you have any more bad luck?! :(

Car accident? Personal injury? :(

Glowplug 21 July 2010 11:17 PM

Like i said, hellish.

Work accident, blacked out at the wheel of me 44 tonner, 55mph on the motorway, fookin mayhem:eek:

joz8968 21 July 2010 11:27 PM

CRIPES!!! Was everyone inolved alright?!

WRX-John 22 July 2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LEUVEN (Post 9507232)
When you say "wif of fuel" do you mean the smell of neat petrol or the exhaust fumes smell?
If it's the latter then as it's likely there is a nice little run up to the roundabout to get up to a nice speed, the sudden slowing down to a stop after being at WOT will carry all the fumes in the air with the car and back into the cabin, especially if you have the windows open on a nice sunny day.
OIH :)

Bang on the money mate it's only noticeable with the window down, I think the removel of the Chav valve may cure it

war1974 22 July 2010 10:35 AM

i would guess it has overfueling or running rich mine my99 does the same although it is mapped for pops and bangs too!

Glowplug 22 July 2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9507893)
CRIPES!!! Was everyone inolved alright?!

Yeah, nobody else involved believe it or not, pure lucky.