ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   EBC Brakes new generation disc pad materials tests and reviews (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/842547-ebc-brakes-new-generation-disc-pad-materials-tests-and-reviews.html)

Andy Freeman 19 July 2010 02:23 PM

EBC Brakes new generation disc pad materials tests and reviews

Hi Guys, this is Andy Freeman the owner of EBC Brakes starting a new thread.

This is the place for you all to kindly place comments after the dozens or reports start coming in from the tests on new generation materials which are for these grades only ( over 60 drivers have been included in this test in the UK alone)

Redstuff fast street (not a race or trackday pad ) - code AF88/26 on box end (base code E 388) Street legal to R90 regulations

Yellowstuff fast street and trackday - code AF93/94 on box end
(base code DM 1793) Street legal to R 90 regulations

Greenstuff - Fast street lighter cars - AF44/35 on box end
(base code E 344) Street Legal to R 90 regulations

Green is not an Impreza material but has been commented on amongst this forum and therefore numerous drivers of other cars including models like Legacy and Forester may wish to add their comments here

New Bluestuff NDX Fastest Street,trackday and full race any car - AF66/16SC on box end, SC stands for SCORCHED or pre bedded.
(Base code is DM 2116 SC which followed 2081,2084 and 2088)

Subaru and EVO pads may be street legal in Bluestuff shortly, meanwhile this grade is "Officially :thumb:" for track use only although its bite from cold is fantastic and makes it perfectly safe for street use, just TOO good to pass the (friction limiting) R 90 regulations which is nuts but its the law in Europe (USA Canada and rest of the world just use them and enjoy)

PLEASE GUYS

If you want to have a moan about OLD EBC material purchased before 2010 do this somewhere else, this is to help all EBC customers know what to expect from the LATEST materials. If you are of course in this test to compare what you used before to these latest materials, thats fine

EBC Brakes is proud of its many significant improvements made over recent months and years and wants to highlight to drivers just how good the latest materials are.

We want you to be aware of how good the EBC products are now as their price and advantages such as low rotor damage,durability and VALUE FOR MONEY beat a lot of our competitors hands down.

EBC Brakes is a paid up advertiser on scoobynet and is therefore justifed to start this thread

Cheers to all
Andy Freeman

The Zohan 19 July 2010 05:46 PM

Hi Andy, Greenstuff are now 'bedded in' and i am very pleased with them, awesome stopping power hot or cold and lots of feel - spot on!

danny c 19 July 2010 06:12 PM

i have my blue pads waiting to go in,just got to wear out the redstuff pads that are in their now and try the blues!
have been impressed with the reds so far though,good inital bite i find and seem to get better as they get warmer!

will post up when i have the blues fitted and let you know what i think!!

Andy Freeman 19 July 2010 06:29 PM

I ask you to take the reds out and insert the Blues NOW please, we need a fast review before the pot goes off the boil.

When test done you will get a further setn of any pad you choose:)

Cheers Andy

DannyBoy007 19 July 2010 07:07 PM

Fitted the full set of blues on Saturday to my car.

The Car is far from standard and gets driven how it should be. I have the Scoobyclinic 330mm 6 pot setup on the front and newage brembo 315mm two pots on the rear.

Pads arrived on friday as promised even though they were custom pad shape for the front due to the scoobyclinic caliper. A breeze to fit. I didn't need to clean anything, just out the box and pushed straight in. It took me longer to jack the car up and take the wheels off. Job done in less than 30 minutes for all four

The old pads still had plenty of meat left on them, approx 9mm on the front and 7mm on the rears, These were Mintex 1144 on the front and OEM Brembo on the rear.
These worked well both from cold and when hot. And had a good balance overall even though the rears would squeal a little.

After fitting the new pads, I took the car for a little drive that turned into 75 mile round trip!! A mix of country roads, two short stretches of dual carraige way and little bit of driving round the supermarket car park.

I live in west wales, just on the edge of the cambrian mountains and enjoy alot of the roads you see in the magazines or on top gear/5th gear etc. So you can imagine they got a good workout.

First impressions were that they worked miles better than the previous setup, even after just a short trip. The cold bite was supurb along the lines of OEM. They were very quiet, not a hint of squeal/pad chop and seemed to cope very well when I was pushing on. The brake dust on the wheels seems to be about the same as the last setup.

I will update this in a month to give further feedback. Off to Santa Pod in three weeks for USC with a few other welsh members where the car will get a workout on the way up and a few runs down the strip.

Andy, I'll sort some photos out shortly and get these emailed over to you

Andy Freeman 20 July 2010 02:20 PM

Nemesis

You pads are en route my man, message from our shipping dept

Enjoy

HI ANDY

Tracking number is 1Z6A33630451814377

I HAVE PUT A TRACK ON IT AND IT SAYS IN TRANSIT MATE

Nemesis_911 20 July 2010 02:26 PM

Thanks A lot Andy! Just checked the track and seems like they're almost here. Will be sure to post my reviews here after I get them on!

Andy Freeman 20 July 2010 05:55 PM

JDM Stig

still waiting car and address details from you my man

Andy Freeman 20 July 2010 06:23 PM

EBC TEST DRIVERS

Would each of you please e mail me on andy@ebcbrakes.com and say WHAT NAME - scooby sign on or what you prefer you wish to be known as when I publish this list, its 29 people long now and I intend to summarise feedback on a table and place it on this site for people.

Thanks guys
Andy

New_scooby_04 20 July 2010 06:27 PM

Andy, I see you now have authorised advertiser status.

Thread re-opened

Thanks,

Ns04

Denmark 21 July 2010 09:04 AM

Hi All,

I have also mounted a front and rear set of bluestuff on my Sti Type R, but this was just yesterday,and have only had the time to run around 50km, but the pads are allready got high grip levels, even thourgh im sure that the pads are not fully bedded in yet.

I´m going on a 10day Nürburgring trip on the 31th july , were i will give them a probber race test, with hoppefully low 8min/high 7min BTG times.

But for now i´m really impressed with the fast bed in , and allready high grip

will make a another report when fully bedded in, with road manners, but so fare high grip, so no problem using it as a road pad :)

Regards from Denmark,
Skassa

Tomwrx 21 July 2010 11:20 AM

hi guys,

i recieved my new bluestuff pads for my hawkeye wrx which is fitted with brembos,

the pads were fitted a 10 days ago and these are my thoughts,

after fitting i had a quick drive around town for 20mins and then a good blast on the motorway i found them to be much better as stopping than the kevlar pads,

they work like OEM pads with no squeal when cold but have good bite, once warmed up they work even better, have gave them a gd few emergency stops and they worked really well and stopped the car extremely quickly,

i dont track my car but do like a spirited drive and have now been drivng with them for 10 days now and have no problems and find the pads work great and would buy them again once these get low.

as for brake dust,its minimum so not a problem like other pads,

i will email pics to u later andy

cheers tom

Rice Rocket 21 July 2010 04:25 PM

Do you make pads for the K-sport 8 pots?

Thanks
Ricey

Scooby Dan 21 July 2010 04:27 PM

Are these available to fit the 355mm AP Formula kit ? CP7040 calipers I think.

Denmark 21 July 2010 04:51 PM

they even match the subaru color :D

/Skassa

Nemesis_911 21 July 2010 05:05 PM

I received my full set of Yellow Stuff from EBC yesterday, thanks again.

Will be looking to fit these ASAP as my car's due in the shop for servicing soon. Can't wait to try them out. Will post pics and reviews in due course.

Denmark, I notice you've given the new Blues a fairly decent review already. Out of curiosity have you (or anybody else) ever used the Yellow Stuff before testing these blues? If so how does the Bluestuff compare to them? Just looking for something of a comparison.

Andy Freeman 21 July 2010 05:23 PM

For all fitments please use our website, we cannot reply for every car on what fits what

Here is the link........

For aftermarket calipers there is a second link at the bottom -

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...es_index.shtml

Andy Freeman 21 July 2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rice Rocket (Post 9506943)
Do you make pads for the K-sport 8 pots?

Thanks
Ricey

K sport fitments being researched now, sure we have them and a list will be done in a matter of days

Meanwhile a pad outline would show us what we need to know

Cheers
Andy

Nemesis_911 21 July 2010 05:29 PM

Andy... I've been noticing that the Blue is described as they highest friction of any street pad out there. Can you give some insight as to how this differs from the yellow stuff in terms of initial bite, cold bite etc? And possibly which you would recommend more on a fast street driven car.

I'm asking because I have a few friends that are also interested in trying the blue or yellow pads on their imprezas but are unsure as to what to get. And after reading more about the new blue and a few of the comments above I'm unsure as to what to advise.

Nemesis_911 21 July 2010 05:29 PM

Double post... If somebody could delete that would be great...

Andy Freeman 21 July 2010 06:02 PM

Nemesis, please use our website more, it is all on there

Look at this link please, has all the graphs etc and look at all the links from this page

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...es_index.shtml

In my experience Blue has 15-20% more cold bite than yellow, its almost too sharp and makes you feel almost sick in repeated heavy decels, any passenger will find the decels uncomfortable .

Yellow is a great street pad and will out sell Blue 50 to 1 because it is European street legal and more sensible, a true fast sport pad.

Bluestuff can kick in your ABS early too and make some groan noises at heavy pedal and 70-90mph as it works the whole car so hard under heavy braking,

Denmark 21 July 2010 06:11 PM

I have used almost any pad that´s on the market for the 4pot impreza caliper,
mintex 1144,1155, carbonelorraine, DS2500
and have used both greenstuff, redstuff and yellowstuff before,
but the problem is that its some years ago, and the compound is not the same anymore, so cant really compare.

I had just payed for a set of PF z-rated for my front Brembo, and a set of yellowstuff for the rear, as they had gotten good reviews, when EBC wanted some review on the Bluestuff pad,
So did not try this setup.

I had on my way home from work worked the brakes a bit harder today, and the griplevel is going up for sure,
the reardisc on my Type R is the early type, that is not eacy avalible, so had to use the ones allready there( there is a fear lip), so it will take a will for the rear to bed in,

When i lock the diff under braking, to transfer som more to the rear, there is a huge improvment over the oe brembo pads ,and standard rear pad.
and yes the are better when abit more heat is into the pads.

I had a few 160km/t to 60km/t braking sessions today, and they are really great, and look forward to the "real" test at the ring :)

/Skassa

Andy Freeman 21 July 2010 06:29 PM

I have told our casting foundry to make this hard to find rear Subaru disc and will hopefully have some good news for you all soon so you dont ripped off any more even if I have to machine them from solid.

Just so you know we cast 95% of all the discs we sell in Europe in the South of the UK and machine them all in the UK.

Here is a corporate video showing our factory, the latter part shows how our discs are made.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/corporate.shtml

Good driving guys

Cannon Fodder 21 July 2010 10:03 PM

Andy

I have just emailed you confirming my details, did you manage to identify the correct pads for the AP Racing CP7040 6 Pot calipers?
:thumb:

Andy Freeman 21 July 2010 10:07 PM

The fronts are our DP 5042 and if the rears are located with two pins and are standard Scooby rear they are our DP 5826, is that what the rears look like ????

Cheers Andy

Cannon Fodder 21 July 2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Freeman (Post 9507704)
The fronts are our DP 5042 and if the rears are located with two pins and are standard Scooby rear they are our DP 5826, is that what the rears look like ????

Cheers Andy

That's it, they are the standard Brembo gold STi calipers. :)

Cannon Fodder 21 July 2010 10:15 PM

Sorry forgot to ask do you manufacture replacement 2 part discs for the AP setup with 335mm discs?

Razorwrx1 22 July 2010 03:29 AM

Andy PM'd me today and said I should get mine in Severn Days. Looking forward to trying them out.

I will post up when there on Andy, with photos. Just have to get the Car booked in once they arrive to have them fitted. Don't trust myself! Ha.

Thanks again Andy!

Bequiaboy2003 22 July 2010 03:21 PM

I was just looking around on the forums and found a few threads with EBC brakes. I am using EBC Red Stuff on my classic WRX Type RA with STi Brembos in the front and stock brakes in the back.

I have to admit that I don't always feel confident braking into a corner with them. From cold it feels like there's almost no brakes and when hot they feel ok, not the best but they more or less get the job done. In general I feel that they could be better, and where I live we have twisty roads with short straights that require fast acceleration and very good braking.

Is it too late to be included in this test? I would be willing to try a set of the new blues and give feedback if it's not. Hopefully they are better than the reds I currently use.

stewart1397 22 July 2010 03:28 PM

looking forward to testing the blues in 7-10 days.
thanks andy