ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   engine light, info please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/841950-engine-light-info-please.html)

d4n-b 15 July 2010 07:03 PM

engine light, info please

hello,

i fitted a full decat pipe and a sti intercooler on a 2003 wrx blobeye yesterday, car runs great with more power than before,

after 200 miles i've had the engine light come on, is this normal?

i'm using high octane fuel,

is it the exaust or intercooler that had caused this?

how do i get rid of it?

sorry if this a simple question but i'm a new scooby owner thanks Dan.

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 07:05 PM

Yep CEL P0420 (low efficiency CAT) ..........bound to heve come on :)

I'd get a good panel filter then get it open sourced mapped for better BHP, Torque, Fuel efficiency and get rid of the CEL.

Look up duncan at RaceDynamix :D

Shaun

nick172sport 15 July 2010 07:09 PM

as midlife says with a full decat exhaust it needs mapping or else you could have big problems:thumb:

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 07:17 PM

Full de-cat on the WRX isn't too much of a problem, It was the STi that tended to give boost spikes with the bigger Turbu.

Having said that de-catting won't give any more power as the ECU will plod along doing it's own thing LOL you will get slightly better spool and noise but not much else.

The STi intercooler wan't give any more power either but will widen the safety margin you have with avoiding det.

Really needs to be mapped as Nick says :D :D

Shaun

d4n-b 15 July 2010 07:35 PM

thanks

how much for a remap?

does this need doing straight away or can it wait?

my mates got a ecu off a bugeye for sale which was mapped to about 280bhp, would this work or are they different?

TonyBurns 15 July 2010 07:49 PM

Remap will set you back about 650 for an ecutek, less for open source but its a debatable area....

Tony:)

Wilky_Boy 15 July 2010 07:51 PM

Agreed !!! The same thing happened on my 2003 WRX Blob when I fitted similar parts. I had a Scan Gauge fitted which confirmed it was P0420. I had it mapped ( by Andrew C ) and he removed the CEL, whilst giving me a nice healthy does of BHP at the same time !! :thumb:

d4n-b 15 July 2010 07:51 PM

i'm i safe to drive it , i've got a 400 mile trip saturday, will this be ok.

its a wrx not sti

thanks dan

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 08:06 PM

Safe to drive being a WRX........the smaller TD04 turbo can't flow enough air to boost spike :)

I'd go for the cheaper Open Source.......bread and butter for someone like racedynamix.

http://www.racedynamix.com/new/

Shaun

d4n-b 15 July 2010 08:27 PM

thanks shaun,

not sure what to do now, its my wifes car just wanted a bit more go for when i drive it, not looking to spend loads.

the ecu my mates got for sale was set up for a bugeye with decat and filter by extreem scooby, are the ecu's the same bug and blob?

prodriverules 15 July 2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by nick schofield (Post 9497014)
as midlife says with a full decat exhaust it needs mapping or else you could have big problems:thumb:

dont listen to him he's knows nothing:D

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 08:40 PM

Me or Nick :)

Shaun

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 08:51 PM

d4

Decatting the newage does not improve performance much (apart from earlier spool), the ECU will simply do it's job. Your mates Blob ECU is the same Denso unit but what it's had done mapping wise is a mystery so not recommended IMHO.

As mentioned this sort of mapping is day in and day out stuff for open source mapping which is much cheaper than EcuTek.

Ask Duncan at Race Dynamix or MOCOM for a quote, You may be pleasantly surprised, especially as the MPG improves :D

Shaun

nick172sport 15 July 2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 9497247)

Shaun

me shaun he is a fight club newbie:lol::D

prodriverules 15 July 2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 9497247)

Shaun

not you fella just bf here:thumb:

dynamix 15 July 2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 9497160)
Safe to drive being a WRX........the smaller TD04 turbo can't flow enough air to boost spike :)

I'd go for the cheaper Open Source.......bread and butter for someone like racedynamix.

http://www.racedynamix.com/new/

Shaun

Thanks for the name check Shaun.

The TD04 can boost spike quite badly though - have seen them go to 1.6 bar on a blob wrx. Bug wrx is less likely to spike for def - most top out at 1.1 bar. Either could be accompanied with det though as it is taking it off the standard map.

Remap from me is £350 for the OP and it will get rid of CEL for good and give substantially better performance :thumb:

d4n-b 15 July 2010 10:06 PM

thanks alot for all the info.

Midlife...... 15 July 2010 11:59 PM

Hi Duncan

Name check no problem :)

Thanks for the heads up about the Blob WRX and boost spikes !

I have fannied about with my bug WRX for a number of years and in the early days never had any problems with de-cat and boost spikes LOL

£350 is cheap as chips as I took my bugeye through TeK 1, Tek 2 and then Tek 3 :)

Blimey I feel like PSLewis !!

Shaun