ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The roads of Gloucestershire (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/841078-the-roads-of-gloucestershire.html)

Turbo2 09 July 2010 12:03 PM

The roads of Gloucestershire

I spent a day there a while back. I don't know if the residents aren't paying their taxes or something, but the quality of the road surfaces was truly abysmal. A roads and B roads were pot-holed beyond compare and the unclassified country roads were barely passable without need for a 4x4. In 23 years of driving I have never encountered UK roads in such consistently poor condition.

The roads of the whole of the UK have suffered from the harsh winter, but it seems that the authorities in Gloucs couldn't give a f*ck. It was like driving through ex-Commie Block East Germany 20 years ago.

My advice? Stick to the M5 and keep going! ;)

lilesk 09 July 2010 01:07 PM

I lived there for most of my life, and I must say, I don't think the roads could be any worse.

lilesk 09 July 2010 01:10 PM

'22B sold'. Is that you Michael?

(LILESK, aka TinTin from BABS)

Leslie 09 July 2010 01:44 PM

Devon roads seem to be very little different to that!

Les :(

Myles 09 July 2010 01:50 PM

Sad, isnt it? Oxon roads not up to much either.

alcazar 09 July 2010 02:12 PM

Every time I drive through our town, I'm SOOOOOOO glad I pay all that money in taxes to drive my car...........hang on, what am I saying?
I RESENT paying it every time one of my wheels drops into yet ANOTHER pothole, or my car lurches over yet ANOTHER road junction raised area so that cyclists, who now have priority, can ride straight across without having to give way, or drop off even a small kerb:mad:

Our council has even painted give way lines either side of the raised areas so that CARS have to.

And why not? I mean cyclists put SO much into the exchequer, don't they..........oh hang on, that would be car drivers, wouldn't it?:mad:

Turbo2 09 July 2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by lilesk (Post 9487275)
'22B sold'. Is that you Michael?

(LILESK, aka TinTin from BABS)

Rumbled!

When are you bringing yours up to Northants for a BABS meet?

You show me yours and I'll, ahem, show you mine, so to speak. Your 22B & my Lotus I mean.

dpb 09 July 2010 02:20 PM

'Nothing moves you like a Citroen'

bengreen85 09 July 2010 02:54 PM

iv lived in gloucs all my life and work as a sales rep covering the whole of gloucs and we do have lots of pot hole, but we also have lots and lots of very fast national-speed limit roads...which are extremely fun! ;)

[-(o)-] 09 July 2010 03:13 PM

Same problem in Surrey for a few years now. However since the change of administration things have slowly started improving. The end of years of our council tax being redirected? Lets hope so.

Torquemada 09 July 2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by [-(o)-] (Post 9487427)
Same problem in Surrey for a few years now. However since the change of administration things have slowly started improving. The end of years of our council tax being redirected? Lets hope so.

Yep, Surrey is a nightmare. It's only been getting worse round my way though :mad:

The Rig 09 July 2010 09:14 PM

Try having SHOWA shocks/springs, its a nightmare !

we did have the floods back in 2006,that didnt help

but yeah,our roads are cack

even worse when im riding the bike,spoils my lines when dodging pot holes around Glos

richie001 09 July 2010 10:57 PM

We're are definitely paying our taxes.As posted we had the floods in 2007 and the roads were poorly repaired and with no/very poor maintenance since and the snow at the start of the year has made the situation even worse.

Leslie 10 July 2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by [-(o)-] (Post 9487427)

The road between Cobham and East Horsley was unbelievably bad. They have repaired a part of it but the rest is still terrible.

Les