ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   0.6 vrs 1.6 head gasket (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/840114-0-6-vrs-1-6-head-gasket.html)

Clarkie GT 03 July 2010 09:00 AM

0.6 vrs 1.6 head gasket

y is there 2 thicknesses of head gasket?
and which 1 would i need for a 1995 WRX wagon?

i hope its not a case of measuring your old one, cause that was binned monhes ago :wonder:

f4la k 03 July 2010 09:32 AM

For diffrent compression ratios, but you would need to speak to an engine builder with your measurements to find out which one.

Clarkie GT 03 July 2010 09:38 AM

ok pal... well... i understand NOW that wagons have a higher cumpression ratio to saloons, so the fact i fitted a z4 ecu off a sti saloon may have been the reason a piston decided to melt.

sound like i need the thinner one...

alcazar 03 July 2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Clarkie GT (Post 9477406)
ok pal... well... i understand NOW that wagons have a higher cumpression ratio to saloons, so the fact i fitted a z4 ecu off a sti saloon may have been the reason a piston decided to melt.

sound like i need the thinner one...

Not afaik, they don't;) Speak to an engine builder, Harvey, David at Api, Alan Jeffrey etc.

Basically the different thickness gaskets are used to keep the cr the same even when heads and/or blocks have had to be skimmed.

Your piston melting sounds more like under-fuelling, running lean, whatever you want to call it.

What else have you done to the engine/ecu, and did you have the map checked?

Clarkie GT 03 July 2010 11:13 AM

no, the ecu has a ESL daughter board from power engineering, mapped at 1.1 bar, on a car with exactly same spec as mine (decat & filter)

as a precaution i'm haveing the injectors cleaned, converting to paralel fuel rails & fitting a walbro fuel pump

i know i should get it mapped properly, but a FMIC and 440cc injectors are plannned so dont fancy paying to get it mapped twice...

alcazar 03 July 2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Clarkie GT (Post 9477546)
no, the ecu has a ESL daughter board from power engineering, mapped at 1.1 bar, on a car with exactly same spec as mine (decat & filter)

as a precaution i'm haveing the injectors cleaned, converting to paralel fuel rails & fitting a walbro fuel pump

i know i should get it mapped properly, but a FMIC and 440cc injectors are plannned so dont fancy paying to get it mapped twice...

I know how you feel, but trust me, not getting it done can work out a WHOLE lot more expensive:(

ZEN Performance 03 July 2010 08:07 PM

If you use the thin gasket the pistons will hit the heads!

The 93-98 engines all used a 1.6mm gasket as the top of the piston protrudes past the block at TDC. The Phase 2 engines and onwards have a piston that's about 0.3mm below the deck at TDC and uses a thinner gasket to suit.

If you put phase 2 style pistons in an early engine (not unusual) you should consider the cosworth 1.1mm gasket as that will give a reasonably tight quench but not bump the compression up too much as the earlier heads also have a smaller combustion chamber.

Everything should work with everything else.