ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   VF35 wastegate. One for the technical guys. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/839316-vf35-wastegate-one-for-the-technical-guys.html)

rookymatt 27 June 2010 06:30 PM

VF35 wastegate. One for the technical guys.

Hello all,
I'm in the process of fitting a vf35 to my wrx bug. Upon examining a bit closer, i've found that the wastegate actuator fitted is not original :Suspiciou.
I used my vacuum gauge, and found the wategate is actuated at 11psi.
I'm led to believe that subaru ones actuate at 7psi.
So the question is.......... will this have any affect on the turbo performance/function?
And if it does, where can i get the required wastegate actuator to make it all better again?!!
Many thanks in advance,
Matt :)

prodriverules 27 June 2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by rookymatt (Post 9468389)
Hello all,
I'm in the process of fitting a vf35 to my wrx bug. Upon examining a bit closer, i've found that the wastegate actuator fitted is not original :Suspiciou.
I used my vacuum gauge, and found the wategate is actuated at 11psi.
I'm led to believe that subaru ones actuate at 7psi.
So the question is.......... will this have any affect on the turbo performance/function?
And if it does, where can i get the required wastegate actuator to make it all better again?!!
Many thanks in advance,
Matt :)

its obviously running after market jobby with ahigher pressure spring inside which will run higher boost mate,u could find asecondhand actuatos easy enough i would think,post athread is best.

rookymatt 27 June 2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9468395)
its obviously running after market jobby with ahigher pressure spring inside which will run higher boost mate,u could find asecondhand actuatos easy enough i would think,post athread is best.

Thanks mate, asked a mate his opinion and he said it was a totally different actuator, with different linkage mount onto turbo. It works perfectly fine, just opens at 11psi is all.

joz8968 27 June 2010 07:00 PM

Yeah but it don't matter as your actual target boost will be in the region of 16+ psi or so i.e. when the BCS is at full duty cycle.

The stronger spring/uprated actuator/linkage means that you're less likely to suffer issues with premature w/g opening, as the stiffer spring's crack pressure is moved closer to the target pressure, and therefore is more resistant to said issues.

dunx 27 June 2010 07:08 PM

It's all in the mapping, you may find a three port boost solenoid helps.

IMHO

dunx

rookymatt 27 June 2010 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9468472)
It's all in the mapping, you may find a three port boost solenoid helps.

IMHO

dunx

Simon has already cast his magic fingers over the wrx and fitted a 3port, so i'll be ok then? Few thats a load off my mind :angel:.
The car is at Clive Atthowe tuning, having turbo, injectors, sti tmic, decat downpipe and an ecutek map.
Met the guy with the red camo bug with the race dynamix decals down the side. Nice guy!
Plus Clive is a stand up gent. I'm confident it's in the right hands. :luxhello: