ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   which power steering reservoir do i need 95 WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/838278-which-power-steering-reservoir-do-i-need-95-wrx.html)

Jaywalker 20 June 2010 01:47 PM

which power steering reservoir do i need 95 WRX

Hi guys

I have a 1995 WRX wagon import with the round type power steering reservoir which is buggered basically, now i have read a few threads on here about putting the square type on as is is better and doesn't leak,

I'm going down the breakers and was wondering if you guys know what year and model car i need for the correct reservoir to fit my wagon WRX, as i said i found a few threads on here but they just say legacy or later WRX

Do both fit? and do i just ask for 1996 up to what year?

thanks in advance for your help

markjmd 20 June 2010 06:34 PM

The only other design which is a direct swap for the round reservoir is a square looking one that has 2 bolts in the middle at the top. I'm not 100%y sure which cars those were original equipment on though (possibly v1 or v2 JDM STIs). The other options are to swap the entire pump for one off a later car with the newer square-shaped bottle, which has 4 bolts on the top, or to go down the remote reservoir route. Budget-wise, complete pump assemblies tend to go for anything between £30-£60 from breakers or sellers on here, and a full remote reservoir setup would set you back a little more than that, if you include the little pump take-off pipe, the remote bottle, and a couple of feet of new hose and fittings to connect it all up.

Jaywalker 20 June 2010 10:50 PM

Ah so the square reservoir is not a direct replacement i would have to replace the pump as well :(

nothings ever easy with a scooby thanks

dont know what to do now lol

joz8968 20 June 2010 11:40 PM

The larger MY97-00 'rectangular' one with 5 bolts holding the top on, won't fit without its PAS pump assy.

But as said, the MY93-96 seems to have two direct fit ones: a circular shaped one and a smallish rectangular one (smaller than the MY97-00 one) with curved edges to its top.

Jaywalker 21 June 2010 01:33 PM

Hi guy thanks for the replies

I went out today and got the square reservoir with 5 bolts it came complete with the pump all in for £40 not bad if it works lol

I did notice on the back of my old pump there is a electrical wire coming out, but on the one i just bought there isn't do i just disconnect it and leave it or does it serve a purpose ?

Also went to the car spares shop for some extra rubber hose and he said he hasn't got none in that size he only had that size in water hose but i couldn't use water hose because it would break up to quick i need to get a hose specifically for power steering fluid is that true? sounds plausible?

thanks again for all your help

joz8968 21 June 2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jaywalker (Post 9458518)
...I went out today and got the square reservoir with 5 bolts it came complete with the pump all in for £40 not bad if it works lol ...

The best one - the rubber sealing gasket doesn't usually leak, unlike the early ones.

You should have said, as I have a surplus-to-requirements MY97-00 reservoir/pump sitting around - you could have had mine. I even cleaned all the flaky paint off the top, leaving it all shiny silver and blingy lol...

Jaywalker 21 June 2010 07:07 PM

Always the way Joz still you never know i might fit this one and it might be pants so i may still ask you for yours lol didnt get much of a guarantee from the breakers yard either lol

You wouldnt happen to know anything about this wire coming out of the back from bottom of the block from the round type reservoir would you ??

thanks

mickywrx 22 June 2010 07:13 PM

I ignored it, when I swapped mine.

Jaywalker 24 June 2010 12:54 AM

Right a little update

Tried to fit the whole pump but the out put pipe connection was of a different type my one was a pipe with a bolt type olive connection and the one i bought was of the union type so i thought no problem the thread size must be the same but no i wasn't that lucky and as i had already left the breakers i could take the pipes connections off the donor car, so here i am £40 squid lighter with an oily and expensive paper weight that doesn't directly replace my one,

Not too disheartened by this i thought why not try to just swap the reservoir's over like my original plan although i have read that they don't fit the round type reservoir pump and guess what its an exact swap apart from a few minor changes that didn't cost me no extra i successfully fitted the square type 5 bolt reservoir to my existing round type reservoir pump

joz8968 24 June 2010 10:07 AM

Bizarre.

Oh well, at least you sorted it one way or t'other.

mickywrx 24 June 2010 06:30 PM

Did you read this beforehand?

You would have known to just swap a fitting on the pump for the pipework to fit.

Jaywalker 08 July 2010 04:42 PM

Cheer for that but i spottted that when i was sitting there scratching my head and tried to swap it onto the other one but the thread size was different for some reason,

but i sorted it any way i just swapped the reservoirs over and it has been working now for a while and no leaks so thanks guy for all the help