ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Which Air Filter? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/83822-which-air-filter.html)

stevenuk300 31 March 2002 01:30 PM

I want to replace the air filter panel in my UK300, most likely with an induction kit. Any recommendations? The K+N induction Kit in my 306 XSI produced an extra 12 BHP. Any ideas what air filter will produce the biggest BHP gain?

Thanks
Steven

DaveUK300 31 March 2002 01:43 PM

Fitted a ITG panel filter to mine - sounds and feels alot better:D

Dave

[Edited by DaveUK300 - 3/31/2002 2:44:18 PM]

Hex 31 March 2002 03:15 PM

Would agree, the ITG filter is amongst the best to use on the Impreza. We also run one on ours and the performance increase is great considering its a fairly inexpensive upgrade.

I've mailed you some prices.

regards

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

UK300 31 March 2002 09:36 PM

Hi guys i am also intrested in changing my filter(must be a uk300 thing:):))like the bit about sounds alot better daveuk300 is there much more noise.

Also bit worried about MAF senser failure lot of talk on scoobynet about that with changing filters.

Help me out guys.

Cheers Darran

Hex 31 March 2002 09:48 PM

well, I know of no instances of MAF failure using the ITG panel filters however have heard a few stories of failures using some of the induction kits, but whether this is due to the kit itself, poor installation or some other factor I'm unsure...maybe someone else could comment?

Neil

www.scoobyworld.co.uk

ChrisB 31 March 2002 09:54 PM

Induction kits on Scoobies don't seem to have that good a reputation. From reading around on here, the K&N seems to be the best but is it worth the agro for the small gain?

DaveUK300 01 April 2002 12:24 AM

Darran,

The ITG makes a nice 'whooshing' noise when the revs start to increase - its just doing what it should - suckin in as much air as it can:D ! What you won't get is the induction kit 'roar' - great noise but can be obtrusive - I know as I also run a Westfield and the induction noise on that is unbelievable:D:D:D

Stick with an ITG - you won't go far wrong, especially for the money.

Dave

Scooby Dooby Blue 01 April 2002 08:06 AM

Just put an ITG panel filter in mine on Friday night. Can't say i noticed any real performance gains but you do get a rather nice sucking noise above 3500revs :D
Jamie at PerformanceExhausts will sort you one out at £39.95 inc. VAT. I only mention it as he's such a nice chap.
Paul

Scooby Filly 01 April 2002 08:15 AM

I got my friend to fit an ITG in my 99' scoob 3 weeks ago.

Got it from scoobyworld.co.uk - was the cheapest at the time and turned up next day :)

cya!

SF

harvey 01 April 2002 08:22 AM

I ran both ITG & K+N pannels. RR testing showed they were both good. Better than an Australian one & the standard Subaru.
I now have an A.P.S. Cold Air Kit.
You can hear a bit of suck & the noise from the B.O.V. on throttle off. Top end is stronger at the expense of alittle less response below 2500rpm In fairness APS say their kit improves breathing to such an extent that it should be fitted in conjunction with a mappable ECU or UNI-Chip to get optimum performance gains.
Jamie can probably sort out an APS
I am putting on a Link later this month when running in is finnished.

Jamie Whitfield 01 April 2002 09:22 AM

An induction kit which is fitted properly (ie mounted correctly with a firm setup - no resonance - no vibration) will out perform a panel filter hence they allow more cold air into the engine, even on an Impreza with high under-bonnet temperatures.

A Blitz induction kit does not have the same filtetration of say a K & N 57i but these things pass stringent filtration tests, for example the K & N will filter below 5 microns where an ITG panel is between 5-10. When you are talking below 10 microns filtration it makes very little difference.

In short the only time you should have a problem with an induction kit is if it is fitted incorrectly.

Having looked into all options I am a firm believer that a cold air kit fitted into the inner wing is the way to go as they allow more cold dense air to be forced into the engine, an APS kit is one option but these work best with a link or ECU upgrade as they make the standard ECU look outside f its parameters.

As a low cost alternative the ITG Panel is a great thing to have, as they do give surprisingly good gains for a panel filter, but as a compromise between the two a Blitz SUS Power induction kit has given our customers cars really impressive results in drivability, sound and style!

Jamie

www.performanceexhausts.net

UK300 01 April 2002 05:18 PM

Jamie as above
you dont say any thing about the maf senser is there no problems??????

or have you not come across any????????

i may stick with what dave said about the itg(thanks dave)

(open mind at the moment)

Darran

Jamie Whitfield 01 April 2002 05:25 PM

Hi Darran

The problem with the MAF sensor only stems from an ill fitted induction kit IMHO.

I have never seen or heared of any MAF problems other than on here, but either way you will get good results.

Choose the Panel if you don't want to go over the top tuning wise or the induction if you are looking for a little more power (and/or noise!).

We have both in stock so let me know if we can help.

Jamie

www.performanceexhausts.net / www.j-w-racing.com

:D

dean harris 01 April 2002 07:47 PM

The only mods i have on my wrx are a scoobysport rear silencer and an itg air filter.I noticed a difference in torque through the rev range,and the sound is great,not only in my opinion but by comments made by strangers usually at my local service station.One man,about 70 yrs old came across and said"that's a nice looking car and it sounds as though it will go like sh*t off of a shovel.
How right he was!!
Regards
Dean