ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   3-piece headers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/837790-3-piece-headers.html)

PeterStone 16 June 2010 08:26 PM

3-piece headers?

Hi

I've just missed out on some ceramic-coated headers on ebay. Don't know what make but assume decent as they were slip-jointed but what interested me was the fact that they were three-piece - has anyone come across these before?

Cheers

PeteS

PeterStone 17 June 2010 10:57 AM

I take it no-one has seen any before then? I tried the search facility but it didn't come up with any.

PeteS

harvey 19 June 2010 12:30 PM

In what way were they three piece?
The popular GT2 Spec consist of the headers and separately the uppipe. The headers have a flange on each side for the primaries to run from each cylinder, two on each side to a collector that runs to a 3 bolt flange for connection to the uppipe.
Original cast headers as fitted by Subaru consist of a 2 branch manifold from the passenger side, a crosspipe and a two branch manifold from the driver's side incorporating a collector for the crosspipe flow and a 2 bolt flange to the uppipe.

Saint AAI 19 June 2010 12:43 PM

I've got some 3 piece ones somewhere. They came from the states and were cheap. I has some work done on the car while I was on holiday and one of the jobs was to fit my headers. The garage failed at this as they said it would have moved the turbo somewhere it couldn't fit. I have not checked them against any others to see the differences. I have some pictures somewhere, but having difficulty trying to find them.

IIRC one part was a 4-2-1 collector/up pipe, another part was the 2 branch manifold from the passenger side, but this only went half way accross under the engine and joined to the last part which carried on the 2 branch from the passenger side and had the 2 branch from the drivers side.

Edit: Similar to these.

TINO.wrx 19 June 2010 09:11 PM

i bought a set from the states like the ceramic ones that were on ebay. the fitment was wank. i couldnt undo the cylinder/manifold bolts at home so i had to get a garage to do them and fit the manifold. they said the flange for the tubro didnt line up in the original position. so would either have to be cut and welded or just go back to the original ones.

as they say, buy cheap but twice!!lol

harvey 20 June 2010 09:25 AM

I have seen so many people come to grief when they were tempted by this sort of bargain that my advice is best avoid and stick with something proven, tried and tested.
I know I am biased as I sell both ported and tubular header sets but I have not had one return in all the time I have been doing it.

Saint AAI 21 June 2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by TINO.wrx (Post 9456083)
They said the flange for the tubro didnt line up in the original position. so would either have to be cut and welded or just go back to the original ones.

as they say, buy cheap but twice!!lol

That's pretty much what the garage that attempted mine said.
I ended up buying a proper set.