ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Steering wheel locks (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/837774-steering-wheel-locks.html)

dpb 16 June 2010 06:42 PM

Steering wheel locks

What kind of insurance rake off DO you get for the bother of fitting one of these contraptions ? :confused:

This was on a modern pretend 4 x 4 ( not soft top ) parked at Morissons and iv seen other cars you just would have thought was as safe to leave

Timwinner 16 June 2010 06:43 PM

I heard they act as a handy lever to help brake the steering lock.

GC8 16 June 2010 09:30 PM

You can break a steering lock with your hands, or your feet and hands: thats just nonsense people repeat in pubs. It isnt a steering column lock that stops people taking the car though, is it? Also, anything is better than nothing, as most thefts are opportunist and its easier for them to find something else. If you have something they want then youll need a Disklock or a Dipol and a well-fitted Cat1 alarm.

Steve vRS 16 June 2010 09:44 PM

...and then they'll burgle your house and take your keys.

Even for a bloody Skoda (2 years ago)!

Steve

Rich D 16 June 2010 09:56 PM

I have a Disklok for mine, had it for about 10 years now and moved it from car to car

the only one worth having IMO, but doesn't reduce your premium

tathan 16 June 2010 10:04 PM

Can you steal new cars without the keys? Serious question.

Steve vRS 16 June 2010 10:10 PM

Not according to the police who investigated my theft.

Steve

scoobyster 16 June 2010 10:17 PM

A Stoplock Pro stopped my cousin's car being taken off his drive some years ago. They'd got into the car and got it going (old car without electronic security) but were banging on the horn whilst trying and failing to get the stoplock off, which meant they were heard and disturbed.

dpb 16 June 2010 10:38 PM

This was in an underground carpark belonging to a supermarket ( closed by 8 pm ) on costa geriatrica , :confused:

probably a 6k car !

tathan 16 June 2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 9451425)

Steve

This is what I thought. Surely key keyed to ECU makes it virtually impossible without a laptop, knowledge and a bit of time.

Adrian F 16 June 2010 11:00 PM

If on the street then they can use a flat bed lorry and winch it on, i park front wheel pointing towards curb and fit disc lock. hopefully they just drive by to find easier car.

Ultimately if they want it they car jack you with a gun or acid spray etc so easier just to let them take it.

tathan 16 June 2010 11:04 PM

Well, yeah. I meant in a more 'traditional' sense :p

Leslie 17 June 2010 11:16 AM

I thought you meant the external type of lock which attaches to the spoke of the wheel. I have never had one but was told once that they only delay a theft by a few seconds as a rule.

Les

dpb 17 June 2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 9451322)
You can break a steering lock with your hands, or your feet and hands: thats just nonsense people repeat in pubs. It isnt a steering column lock that stops people taking the car though, is it? Also, anything is better than nothing, as most thefts are opportunist and its easier for them to find something else. If you have something they want then youll need a Disklock or a Dipol and a well-fitted Cat1 alarm.

I would have imagined most thefts nowadays were pretty carefully organised , because in general cars are more difficult to take , still there you go

my06 ppp silver 17 June 2010 04:45 PM

disklok+clifford 650 mkII+proximity sensor+blackjax+home sensor+ 2 staffies behind front door

Devildog 17 June 2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver (Post 9452414)
disklok+clifford 650 mkII+proximity sensor+blackjax+home sensor+ 2 staffies behind front door

I'd have thought that was the bare minimum given your location :D

Dedrater 17 June 2010 07:11 PM

That's just for his lawnmower!

dpb 17 June 2010 08:24 PM

sorry id move , unless the money was very good :lol1:

Hysteria1983 17 June 2010 08:40 PM

These contraptions will reduce your premiums, even if it's only by a few ££ but it does.

However, if you park your car on a mates drive, don't fit it, because you were simply dropping of something, and it gets robbed....... Bang goes your insurance payout.

Personally I feel it's always going to be a deterrent. And sometimes thats enough for someone who was contemplating robbing your car.

I have one fitted, and use it even when my car is parked on my drive, with my partners car behind it. BUT, it's not stated on the insurance, as there will always be a time (e.g petrol station) that you could have it robbed, and the insurance company will find a way not to pay up.

GC8 17 June 2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 9451425)

Steve

If you know the alarm type then its not complicated (and its less-so if you only have to deal with the ECU; although I wouldnt want to be swapping parts on someones driveway.

Most theft is still opportunistic, even if they know what they want. Car theft is nothing like 'Gone in 60 Seconds'.....