ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Import car tax gone down (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/837248-import-car-tax-gone-down.html)

jameswrx 13 June 2010 11:18 AM

Import car tax gone down

Did a quick search for this and didn't find anything...

I see the DVLA have finally realised that they were ripping a lot of us off and put down the price of tax for pre 2006 cars that were registered in the uk after 2006.

My own Sti wagon is a JDM MY02 but the tax was £430 a year because it was imported and registered in the uk 2008! Rip off merchants! But now it seems imports have been correctly recognised and my car is now £245 a year.

Also worth double checking, as (aparantly) DVLA have been sending reminders with the old price but if you do it online it's the new price.

Apologies if you know this and it's already been put up here but I'm pleased enough to spout on about it :D

Terminator X 13 June 2010 11:32 AM

Good news! I wrote to them many times about my MY54 Spec C that was imported in 2007 as they were charging me £400 tax :mad: did me no good at the time though :(

TX.

Edit - also wrote to Govt as well as DLVA just said rules are the rules - Govt said same :brickwall

Fleetwood 13 June 2010 02:49 PM

Think it happened March/April time this year as my reminder at that time had 4 hundred odd and then when I went online to pay it showed the £245 or whatever. Good news tho.

the_big_1 13 June 2010 03:08 PM

What date in 2006 is the cut off date?

euan_r 13 June 2010 05:47 PM

Had same happen to me. My classic is registered late 2007 and renewal was due on the first of april so renewed on 31st of march for £405. I previously checked all the rules to see if i could save a pound or two but couldnt find any errors as it went by uk registration date.

Checked online a few days later and it was down to £245. Contacted dvla about refund but they wouldnt issue one unless i sent back tax disc and declared car sorn for 21days. Not impressed, in the end didnt bother messing about with sorn and get it renewed at £245 before it goes up. They could easy increase it in emergancy budget though.

TonyBurns 13 June 2010 07:04 PM

Would make no difference to classics, it was only cars produced after 2000 that took the hit :(

Tony:)

mickywrx 13 June 2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9445570)
my MY54 Spec C that was imported in 2007

Wow your's is either really old, or it's from the future. ;)

GC8 13 June 2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 9446079)
Would make no difference to classics, it was only cars produced after 2000 that took the hit :(

Tony:)

Sheffield VRO struggled to interpret the rules correctly Tony: trying to charge me £400-odd for the first years tax on a 1996 WRX. When I pointed out that 'registration' meant manufacture in application (the law presumes that a car is manufactured on one day and registered the next), and when I then explained that the CO2 figures used were produced when the vehicle was type approved and that they didnt even exist for the UK model equivalent: they ummed and arghed and decided that theyd use the CO2 figures from a type approved 2008 STI in lieu of genuine figures for my own car. This car was manufactured at the end of 1995 and imported by me in 2002.

Terminator X 13 June 2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 9446219)
Wow your's is either really old, or it's from the future. ;)

FPMSL :lol1: meant a 54 plate car.

TX.

Rikimaru 13 June 2010 11:47 PM

That's awesome news as I'm just about to register my '99 STi RA.:luxhello:

carl555 14 June 2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 9445556)
Did a quick search for this and didn't find anything...

I see the DVLA have finally realised that they were ripping a lot of us off and put down the price of tax for pre 2006 cars that were registered in the uk after 2006.

My own Sti wagon is a JDM MY02 but the tax was £430 a year because it was imported and registered in the uk 2008! Rip off merchants! But now it seems imports have been correctly recognised and my car is now £245 a year.

Also worth double checking, as (aparantly) DVLA have been sending reminders with the old price but if you do it online it's the new price.

Apologies if you know this and it's already been put up here but I'm pleased enough to spout on about it :D

Had the same nice surprise at the post office when re-taxing my JDM STI last month. :)

DVLA reminder said £430, when I went to pay it came up as £245. The girl behind the counter was trying to look into why this happened. Needless to say I stopped her, quickly paid up the £245 and got out of there with my new tax disc just in case!!! ;)