ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   coilpack conversion (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/832204-coilpack-conversion.html)

incarsolutions 11 May 2010 12:14 PM

coilpack conversion

Is it possible to convert a V1 with four single coilpacks, to a single central coilpack system?? The single packs are so prone to cracking, I'd like to do away with them.

Cheers all

saiklon 11 May 2010 01:17 PM

Yep, it's possible, just did it last month when I had yet another coil on plug pack fail.

Here's how I did it. Get four old coil packs and cut their harnesses. This is so you don't have to cut the wire harness of the car itself. Connect all the red wires on the coil wires into the red one of the single coil pack (it's the centre one I think).

Connect the yellow wires from cylinder 1 and 2 (those are the 2 cylinders nearest the radiator) together and onto one of the (I think yellow) wires on the single coil. Do the same for cylinder 3 and 4 to the last free wire on the single coil.

Plug in your high tension coil wires, start the car and forget about random misfires!

incarsolutions 11 May 2010 01:35 PM

cheers mate :D

Broxi 11 May 2010 03:55 PM

Hmm. This is Interesting.

I was considering changing to New Age Coil Packs, as those tend to be better..

Which option would work Best.

Jamz_ 11 May 2010 08:44 PM

Watching this thread :)

masterx81 12 May 2010 10:59 AM

Uhm, i'd suppose that coil on plug can get best spark on high rpm, due to increased dwell time...
Maybe converting to late newage coilpacks? AFAIK they don't go bad as easy as the oldest....

incarsolutions 12 May 2010 12:14 PM

I've got an engine swap to do, once i know its running ok without any issues i'll be tackling the coilpack conversion. watch this space!!

rossmc 30 May 2010 04:58 PM

Anyone got any more info on this?

masterx81 03 June 2010 03:37 PM

I've bought a set of Diamond FK0140 but don't fit on the v3/v4 head. What other type to try?

redscooby2011 23 February 2011 11:47 PM

i have just put my inlet manifold with combined coilpack of a 99 engine onto a wrx 2001 engine and fitted this to my 99 plumbed it all up its not starting should it start or does anyone know if it wont

my94wrx 23 February 2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by redscooby2011 (Post 9899706)
i have just put my inlet manifold with combined coilpack of a 99 engine onto a wrx 2001 engine and fitted this to my 99 plumbed it all up its not starting should it start or does anyone know if it wont

it wont start because you have the wrong trigger wheel on your crankshaft, you need to fit the trigger wheel from your old engine.

P1Drifter 24 February 2011 08:10 AM

the conversion to newage coils is very easy and a worthwhile upgrade, recently did it to my 1995 with a 2.5 conversion, if you need any help PM me.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1192028

redscooby2011 24 February 2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by my94wrx (Post 9899715)
it wont start because you have the wrong trigger wheel on your crankshaft, you need to fit the trigger wheel from your old engine.

yes i did that along with various sensors but kept all pulleys the same as new 2001 wrx engine has variable valve timing/top two pulleys different could this be my problem? just ringing a costly taxi to get to my scooby to investigate
take a look at my post
many thanks for your help any more much appreciated:thumb:

redscooby2011 24 February 2011 09:06 PM

got it going today amazing many thanks to everyone who suggested things to do i changed the two cam pulleys for the ones of my 99 engine plumbed it back up started first time still cant take the grin of my face now its a great feeling after feeling so deflated last night when it didnt start.
i have spent two weeks with just a few hours a day doing this conversion with help from a couple of fellow subaru owners and we have created a 99/01 hybrid engine nice this mechanic stuff not rocket science after all
MANY THANKS AGAIN you all been great
very pleased scoob newb
been on such a journey with this car already in 2 weeks i think i am in love i spillt blood on both engines almost cried on one now i have the pleasure of driving it
if i had any money left for insurance
still got work to do though i got the 01 wrx to dismantle sell the parts and way the metal in a good way to get yourself a nice 99 uk turbo BUY ONE WITH a blown engine buy a SMASHED UP NEWAGE WRX it works COILPACK ON TOP OF INLET

Stomppers 06 March 2011 11:39 AM

thought id rekick up this thread as my ver2 is on these single coil packs and id also like to do this single pack convertion what parts from what model would i need to do this?

Jamz_ 06 March 2011 11:47 AM

Stomppers, everything you need to know is on here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1192028

Stomppers 06 March 2011 11:51 AM

cheers dude :)

Scoobyben1 07 January 2014 05:21 PM

I'm still confused at this post is everyone talking about putting the black square coil pack on the inlet manifold and running the ht leads down to the spark plugs then wiring the original coil harnesses that you cut up to join the new ignition coil pack or is the link for running new individual coil packs of a newer shape this is were I'm confused please someone enlighten me I'm not dumb just can't get my head around this

Scoobyben1 07 January 2014 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by saiklon (Post 9392313)
Yep, it's possible, just did it last month when I had yet another coil on plug pack fail.

Here's how I did it. Get four old coil packs and cut their harnesses. This is so you don't have to cut the wire harness of the car itself. Connect all the red wires on the coil wires into the red one of the single coil pack (it's the centre one I think).

Connect the yellow wires from cylinder 1 and 2 (those are the 2 cylinders nearest the radiator) together and onto one of the (I think yellow) wires on the single coil. Do the same for cylinder 3 and 4 to the last free wire on the single coil.

Plug in your high tension coil wires, start the car and forget about random misfires!

Does this really work as it's an expensive mistake to cut all coils for just the plugs :confused:

mnm3_8 31 December 2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyben1 (Post 11315939)
I'm still confused at this post is everyone talking about putting the black square coil pack on the inlet manifold and running the ht leads down to the spark plugs then wiring the original coil harnesses that you cut up to join the new ignition coil pack or is the link for running new individual coil packs of a newer shape this is were I'm confused please someone enlighten me I'm not dumb just can't get my head around this

This is a completely useless thread, with no worthwhile information other than the link to Nasioc. Go read it! You'll learn a lot, and things will make sense. Here, there is 1 person talking about going from multiple coils to a single (backwards technology is just not cool, if the single coil was that awesome, OEM's wouldn't have spent years and millions of $$ working through the bugs of the coil-on-plug design), there a couple guys talking about going from old multi's to new multi's, and there's a couple confused (myself included) people, and the obligatory lazy people that can't even manage to read two or three posts before them on a single page thread.

mnm3_8 31 December 2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyben1 (Post 11316130)
Does this really work as it's an expensive mistake to cut all coils for just the plugs :confused:

Depends on how much you paid for the coils......try going and reading this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1192028&page=7 There are MULTIPLE people that it has worked great for, though most are going the opposite way and either getting rid of the single, or getting rid of the early gen. coil on plugs to grab the newer style that has a long rubber boot that goes inside the cylinder head instead of hard plastic that is prone to cracking.