ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Middlesex Subaru Owner's Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-subaru-owners-club-434/)
-   -   IT Help needed for MSOC homepage (https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-subaru-owners-club-434/832175-it-help-needed-for-msoc-homepage.html)

rickya 11 May 2010 08:32 AM

IT Help needed for MSOC homepage

After talking to Total Impreza in March said they wouldnt mind having write ups & photos from us as the Middlesex Subaru Owners Club. This could be fairly regularly I imagine depending on how good our content is. So if we have a huge meet; car show we organise; MLR500; Trackday & Uxbridge Auto Show etc ths could be featured with a few good pics & a mini write up. (I stress the word mini!)

The only hitch is we must have at least on our own homepage with all our contact details & information. This is because they do not like to redirect to e.g Scoobynet or Facebook & would prefer us to have at least our own homepage to list in feature for contact details. This does not have to be a full blown website or anything & we can have a link on that homepage to here on MSOC Scoobynet for chat & events & latest news. Even if we dont send anything to Total Impreza we still desperatley need some kind of individual hompepage on the net that will come up in search engine searches & as a place of contact for email forwarding etc

Anyone who knows of a fairly cheap way of:

- Getting our own domain name & linked forwarding email address
- Somwhere to host our Homepage/Site
- Help in basic design of page - all of us
- One or more helping to actually build the Homepage & get it online

After that I will get onto Total Impreza & if we can get this done before Uxbridge Auto Show then that would be far better as it would be a great way to make an appearence in Total Impreza. This could also tie into our long awaited bi-monthly newsletter :rolleyes:

MSOC NEEDS YOU :thumb: http://consumeist.files.wordpress.co...c12729026.jpeg

Mattmann 11 May 2010 11:12 AM

Hi Ricky, Don't know how much help this will be, but i'll give it a go.

I work as a 'webmaster' for a furniture company, and basically deal with the website. It was already built when i joined here, but i deal with maintenance and loading of new pages and products. The builder we use is called Joomla and is free and very straight forward/easy to use. However, i do know of the yahoo website builder which i imagine would be very easy to use (i think my friends mum created a website with that!).

I dont mind helping with what i can, but i'm not a professional!!!

Matt

rickya 11 May 2010 11:53 AM

If you get some kind of initial design together that would be a good starting point.
Nice one Matt :)

Other designs / ideas from others also welcome too. :)

Mattmann 11 May 2010 01:03 PM

I can try, but as i've said, i haven't built one up from the bottom... would need to get the domain up on a hosting website to be able to load Joomla - i think. I suppose i could find a free domain and try to host ideas there! i'll give it ago!

M444GY 11 May 2010 05:12 PM

wouldnt have the foggyest on how to do one but it sounds like a good idea . we could do a nice spred in there :thumb:

we could just have a home page that links to here cant we ?

rickya 11 May 2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 9392637)

we could just have a home page that links to here cant we ?

Exactly :thumb:

Mattmann 11 May 2010 08:10 PM

Its a start

Right, i've spent the evening putting something together from the Joomla demo site. This allows you to have a test of their service in a 30 day trial!

MSOC HOMEPAGE
- I have put this together, and i know that there are broken links, and need to learn how to change the top banners + others.

The front picture there i thought was very appropriate, however, if the owner of the car doesn't want it there, its easily changeable!

I have written a little in events, and will write some more, and have entered a quick write up about my car. It can either be changed every month, or have links to everyone's car...

I've got another 29 days to add to it, but please, any comments welcome!!

Matt :)

Budgie 11 May 2010 08:16 PM

nice one Matt
i think you could be on to something there
what do you think Ricky?

rickya 11 May 2010 08:28 PM

Its a great start Matt, thanks mate :) If you can pm me your email address & mobile tel that would be a great help to organise this. Top Man! :thumb:

I think everyones input / ideas would be greatly appreciated in terms of layout / colours / font /pictures etc. Its only a one page Homepage to start with but if we sort it out properly then eventually any other pages can follow a similar design.

I will try & look into domain names tommorow as I have bought a few for the hotel. If we can try & find a good place to host it without too many banners & pop ups that would be good. Eventually when all finished we'l have to look into blitzing all the search engines & bots etc with out new website :D

madisonmonkey 11 May 2010 08:31 PM

Don't give him your mobile number Matt, you'll never get rid of him :D

rickya 11 May 2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey (Post 9393098)
Don't give him your mobile number Matt, you'll never get rid of him :D

Ah shut it,........................................saying that this week I have done the head in off: Jim, Sid, Alan, Guv, John & Mags :D:D

That leaves Budgie; Dave; Matt & Rich till Fri,...........enough time :D
ps Matt & Dave Iv lost your phone number so pm me yours again

darms 11 May 2010 08:39 PM

:lol: sounds like you've lost my number, what a shame :norty:

rickya 11 May 2010 08:40 PM

Oh yeah Darms, good man thank you for reminding me, I have'nt got your no in my new phone either :D

My new 3G sim did'nt like my old phones phonebook :(

KAOS_JNR 11 May 2010 08:55 PM

Hi Guys i am willing to help in anyway i can i am from a IT networking background and am willing to help with anyway that i can between me and my son he designs websites in his spare time and he is very good pm me

I have been playing and in need of some content here is the link http://msoc.webs.com/

rickya 11 May 2010 09:02 PM

Kaos Jnr that would be a great help, the more design input/ideas we have the better. We can work together with Matt & try & come up with a stonking Website!

Will try & get in touch with you & Matt tommorow by PM & maybe phone.

Thanks so far everyone :)

noblechris 12 May 2010 07:30 AM

both them sites looking good, better than i could do.

can offer a little help (www.prestige-services.co.uk) is my own website that i built and can highly recommend pacwebhosting.com, the support is great from their team.
you can get phpbb forums free also.

Mattmann 12 May 2010 08:57 AM

PM Sent to Ricky... I think that otehrs may be better at the job than me, as i was just using guess work with the site i put together. It looks like KAOS JNR and Noblechris might produce better results!

Matt

rickya 12 May 2010 12:41 PM

No probs Matt :) Any input appreciated .

M444GY 12 May 2010 01:00 PM

all help is massively appreciated :thumb:

ive already had ricky here this morning blowing his horn and crossthreading my brain :D he did look happy with the 225s though so ill let him off :D

KAOS_JNR 12 May 2010 07:48 PM

Hi Guys i am willing to work with this but need some ideas and images for the site if i can get some info about the members maybe some images of there cars

Please give me a PM and i can give you my e-mail address and we can start gathering info and images.

Any ideas on designs content keep it coming :thumb:

rickya 12 May 2010 07:59 PM

Just to let everyone know we have just bought oursleves:

www.middlesexsubaruownersclub.com

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D

We also have unlimited email addresses: anything before "@ middlesexsubaruownersclub.com"

i.e. Maggy@middlesexsubaruownersclub.com
Admin@middlesexsubaruownersclub.com etc etc

stephen beynon 12 May 2010 08:19 PM

nice one ricky thata great news

Mattmann 12 May 2010 08:23 PM

wow, u go Ricky!

sounds good... i've been adding to the one that i made but it seems to be down now (good start, i think its cos its the trial its up and down). Check it out tomorrow, hopefully back up!! but as i said kaos jnr is prob better... Although i'm learning this new version of joomla and it is very easy to use anyone could do it!

but it's up to everyones desicion at the end of the day...

Anyway, good one Ricky!!!

Edit to say that the domain ricky choose says straight away that joomla is ready for install on it, so maybe that be used?

rickya 12 May 2010 09:15 PM

That was quick Richard!!!!!!! :)

rickya 12 May 2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by KAOS_JNR (Post 9394974)
Hi Guys i am willing to work with this but need some ideas and images for the site if i can get some info about the members maybe some images of there cars

Please give me a PM and i can give you my e-mail address and we can start gathering info and images.

Any ideas on designs content keep it coming :thumb:

As Richard will be taking care of this now, could any members with any ideas etc please post here on this thread or pm Richard or myslef. If any of you have any relevant photos, these can be old photos from yesteryear when Maggy looked like a 16 year old ASBO & Budgie had a bit of hair, yes the MSOC days of 1852, please pm them to Richard!! Also any trackday, photo shoot, club events pics, etc please either mail or point Richard in the direction of the link/thread here on Scoobynet. (MSOC photo thread etc)

Budgie 12 May 2010 09:51 PM

i have just signed up Richard:thumb:
looking good fella

Guv 12 May 2010 10:31 PM

Top Class lads :thumb: I'll have an e-mail address when ur ready:D