ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wildlife - Stupid or Misinformed? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/83212-wildlife-stupid-or-misinformed.html)

Seamus300 28 March 2002 08:22 AM

What a week..

Tuesday I smashed another headlight on my car, nice UK300 unit, last one £300 to replace.

Today I'm driving down a dual carriageway out of Northampton at cough mph and whats standing in the road? A Duck. Just standing there. No chance to do much to I smacked it one, now have a bumper slightly misaligned and a tad lose. Why was it standing there? Any clues?

I live down about 2 miles down a single track lane and frequently come across pigeons and rabbits in the road. Why do rabbits run halfway across, then run back again? Is this a trick to test our reflexes? Why do pigeons try and run out of the way (heads bobbing furiously) and not fly?

Answers on a postcard to......

Jolly Green Monster 2 28 March 2002 08:26 AM

I think a rabbit runs into the edge, then still hears you coming and is panicking and runs back out because it didn't realise it was out of the way.
Unlike cats that run into the edge and stay there.

It would perhaps be boring but at the price of two headlights and wankey bumper and three + dead animals, perhaps you should slow down on this stretch of road?

:)

JGM :)

Seamus300 28 March 2002 08:32 AM

Ah just so you all don't think I'm a wildlife murderer!

Both headlights smashed on motorway by stones from cars in front, I just wanted to moan about it again.

My lane home is taken slowly (no choice), I never run the rabbits or pigeons over, I was just laughing at their crazy methods of escape! ;)

snowcrash 28 March 2002 08:37 AM

i thought that was the whole real reason for the air scoop on the bonnet - to devour wildlife and little children if the got in the way ;)

davyboy 28 March 2002 08:42 AM

Sean, could this be your first muppet post?

:D

BOB.T 28 March 2002 08:54 AM

I was faced with two bunnies sat in the road having a chat the other night!:eek: It was almost likie the volvo ad with the crabs... I thought I'd picked a line between them, untill one moved, well it won't be moving anymore!

I hit a badger the other day too:( Luckily though I'd already bumped mi car so it didn't do anymore damage!

Bob

stevencotton 28 March 2002 09:43 AM

Yeah I get this a lot, once I had about 20 rabbits run out in front of me, god knows how I managed to miss every one of them but one was breakdancing in mid air when I looked in my rear view mirror :) No mess on the road on my way back so I think it lived. Badgers can be bad, and the local hare can almost outrun me - he runs down the road about 5 metres in front of the car and he is bloody fast!

Steve.

Scumbag 28 March 2002 10:49 AM

The old man smacked a pheasant on his way up from Bromsgrove to Yorkshire late at night....didnt use the car next day, so 36 hours after the bump, he looked at the radiator grill, and spotted a pheasant head/neck displayed like a trophy.....certainly amused the neighbours!!!

SB

Count Von Bismarck 28 March 2002 11:02 AM

My father hit a fox, years back - trouble was it didn't kill it outright, I remember watching him finish it off with the jack.

Not a pretty sight.

beatle 28 March 2002 12:12 PM

i was driving along the the other day and there was a load of monkeys just sitting in the road !!! and then a giraffe came strolling by...........bloody safari parks good thing i was driving slowly

philc 28 March 2002 12:19 PM

Ducks standing in the road? I think it means that Spring is upon you and a duck's mind is on drakes.

And yes, going along a straight stretch of road and the only car for miles, in front of me, slows down for no good reason; so I change down, indicate and start to overtake - only then do I see the duck and a trail of fluffy little ducklings waddling across the road .....

philc 28 March 2002 12:21 PM

........ and I just managed to drive between the slowing car and the little ducklings.

JFB 28 March 2002 06:52 PM

Did you have much MAD COW disease up there?

Jerome

subster 30 March 2002 07:04 PM

cats must have the stupidest road sense
Everywhere i go their eyes are scattered in the middle of the road.
WHAT IS EATING THE CARCUSSES?