ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Which Downpipe??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/83128-which-downpipe.html)

TonyBurns 04 March 2002 02:20 PM

Have a Scoobymania D/P fitted to my MY00 scoob ;) great sound when starting up, purrs and not too intrusive but open that window and WOW!!! ;) what a sound ;) A must of a down pipe IMHO :D

Tony:D

Edited to say that the car i have is a PPP and i believe the exhaust used by Prodrive is also a Scorpion one ;) sounds great :D

[Edited by TonyBurns - 4/3/2002 2:21:40 PM]

ragnarock 27 March 2002 08:22 PM

Please help, I have a UKMY98, with a Scorpion cat-back system and a GGR induction kit. I am now looking at fitting a downpipe, and cannot decide between Scoobysports, TSL or Scoobymania, as these companies all have excellent reputations. What the the benefits of each one (i.e. is one louder, or gives more torque etc).

Any experience of the above would be very helpful

Knowlesy 27 March 2002 08:48 PM

From reserach, though won't get technical. Many people use Scoobysports down pipe as its manfactured by Hayward & Scott & considered to be the best manufactured.

A well known tuning company (not ScoobySport BTW) use HKS components except for the DP which they get from SS.

peccy 02 April 2002 03:36 PM

bttt

FASTER MIKE!! 02 April 2002 07:52 PM

well i`ve got a full scorpion zorst down pipe back and it sounds awsome :D:D:D:D:D not to loud when poteling about but give it some stick and and everone will hear you :D:D:D . it also feels alot more responsive. oh and the best thing is the price i paid £123 inc vat delivered to the door from motec.
pops and bangs even more than before,don`t know about flames no ones said ....yet :D:D:D:D
hope this has help you mike

tweenierob 02 April 2002 08:18 PM

i've just fitted a scorpion centre back system and definately gonna go for a s/sport d/pipe....
just my 2p's worth
ROB

spence7 03 April 2002 08:36 AM

so everyone with a decat system, how do you get an MOT !?

madness 03 April 2002 09:04 AM

you can't as far as i know. You must fit a section with a cat especially for the MOT... mid section with CAT is easiest i was told for MOT purposes...

bioforger 03 April 2002 10:33 AM

spence u get pretty good gains with a DP and backbox but keeping the centre cat on. Plus it will pass MOT ;) U want that lil bit extra then u need to carry a catted centre pipe around with u come MOT time, oh and a heavy right foot before it gets tested :)

spence7 03 April 2002 10:51 AM

damn ! I've already replaced the centre with a decat section! So really I guess I'm scuppered. Cos my current OEM DP has 2 gun gum bandages on already ! I might have to replace with OEM DP with CAT eeek.

Moles Dad 03 April 2002 11:26 AM

Spence, YHM.

MD. :)

Adam M 03 April 2002 11:30 AM

dont mean to be rude, but the quality of the scoobysport is not all that to look at.

It certainly does work well.

Personally I think teh design and finish of the BPM and scoobymania is far superior.

ragnarock 03 April 2002 11:40 AM

Ive got a contact in NZ that will sort me a twin dump stainless downpipe for £60, so id be stupid not to try it (thats what i'll tell the wife anyways)!!!

ragnarock 03 April 2002 02:27 PM

The scorpion exhaust sounds great on my car without a DP, I got my missus to drive it the other day (first time she ever drove it) whilst I was standing at the side of the track, My instructions where "put your foot down", to which she did, sounded fan-bl00dy-tastic, and on changing gear a few bangs, Certainly the best exhaust sound I have heard IMHO (though you could never tell inside the car, seems very quiet and subdued!) I just wandered what difference a dp would make to the sound, and more importantly performance

urban 03 April 2002 03:27 PM

I have a scorpion system on my MY00, and about 6 months ago I also purchased the scoobysport DP.

Make a bit of difference to the noise, most noticable around 4K onwards.

Inside the car you also hear the turbo whistle etc.

Performance, well definately more responsive, turbo in probably around 500rpm earlier.

Reasons why I bought the SS DP were all the posts on here, hadn't really heard much about the scorpion DP.

On a different note, i'm changing the MY00 for a UK STI, and am waiting on the release of the full system for the STI from scorpion which I plan to get.

I can't imagine that there is huge difference between the two DP's, but the scorpion on is quite a lot cheaper than the SS one.

Shaun

catflap 03 April 2002 03:38 PM

Very interesting, about the diff between the scorp and the SS downpipe,

would yo usay the SS is better? does it seem faster, and tel us more about the lovely sound :)

Any thoughts on the magnex?

ChrisB 03 April 2002 03:52 PM

I had a Scorpian SS DP fitted just before going to Catalunya. Still got the catted centre (MY99 UK) and a Bell & Colvill back box.

Certainly seems to pull from lower down the revs and keep going to the rev limiter much better. More noise in car, maybe a little louder when cruising at 80ish. You can hear the turbo whistle a bit now. Had a few nice comments from people who've heard it outside the car - I'll have to find somebody to do me a drive past.

Wasn't really after a DP but got it for a good price 2nd hand from Mr Mellow Yellow. :)

LeighJ 03 April 2002 03:55 PM

I'm having a TSL fitted tomorrow, so I'll let you know!!

MY97 - ITG / Scoobysport bb.

Cheers,

Leigh

Jake 03 April 2002 05:30 PM

Get a PE T75 Twin Dump and dont bother with the rest!

catflap 03 April 2002 05:56 PM

How muh is the PE?

Jake 03 April 2002 06:50 PM

£330 inc vat. A bit more than the rest but well worth it.

peccy 04 April 2002 09:32 AM

Jake, why is the PE dp the best in your opinion?, am wanting to purchase a dp but not sure which one to get, doesnt matter about cost, just want a quality one that performs well and sounds well,

was thinking about a Scooby Sport but these arent twin dump, are the twin dump designs the best ones?

Jake 04 April 2002 12:13 PM

I dont think one is necessarily better than the other but it depends on what you want. I have an HKS 3'' exhaust and it gave me a big power increase higher up the rev range, so I wanted too compliment it with a Twin Dump as they apparantly give better gains higher up the rev range as opposed to the single ones. Ive also had magnex and scoobysport ones on my previous scoob and found the PE T75 to be far superior in build quality and look, and as for the power increase it has transformed my car and I just love the turbo whistle at low revs.

Jake

TonyBurns 04 April 2002 05:29 PM

Peccy, YHM ;)
My Scoobymania DP is superb ;):D you can hear the turbo start to whistle up as low as 1800 rpm ;) and the first time i heard it on the car when i was out side i thought "damn that sounds great :D" then i saw it was mine ;):D
Will have to have the car back on the rollers to see what increases ive got but it feels great down low and up top (and will be better once i get the slight overboost problem sorted :rolleyes: doh!

Tony:D

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 04 April 2002 07:51 PM

Scoobysport downpipe is excellent, even if the customer backup isnt. BE wary people of twin dump types like the PE one. ( though not specifically PE's )A car with soft engine mountings can find the exhaust hitting the steering universal joint with nasty consequences. Sounds like a pointless silly design to me anyway. When the wastegate flap is open it is nearly blocking the hole in the twin dump anyway!!!!!