ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   How much better is a simtek compared to a Gems (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/830567-how-much-better-is-a-simtek-compared-to-a-gems.html)

dannytwo 01 May 2010 10:14 PM

How much better is a simtek compared to a Gems

Hi
Could some of the ecu boffins tell me how much better the simtek is compared to a Gems ecu?

Also is a motec streets ahead of the simtek or are the similar?

Cheers for the advice;)

Dannytwo

dannytwo 02 May 2010 01:45 PM

Anyone?

RA Dunk 02 May 2010 02:00 PM

Unless your into rallying, hardcore motorsport, or have the ability/skills to plug in a laptop and know what your doing the difference is negligable AFAIK

joz8968 02 May 2010 02:06 PM

Depends if your mapper is more adept at mapping one "better" than the other. Choose the one that your mapper is happier/more competent in mapping. After all it's the quality of the map that will give you the biggest smile/value for money.

USP features are nice... but pale into insignificance compared to the quality/safety of the map. In any case it's not as if the Simtek is "lacking" e.g. dual switchable maps and MAFless to name but two! ;)

As said, features aside, you'd never even know what you're running. Depends also, which sort of features you 'crave' e.g. ign timing ret/adv, MAFless, etc, etc...? If you have certain features in mind, then tell us and that will help single out a particular ECU... Then you can look for a mapper that is excellent at mapping that ECU... ;)

TonyBurns 02 May 2010 02:17 PM

Gems is mafless ;) and its a very good ecu, teh simtek gives you just as much though (except the knock correction for the time being unless they have released the patch?) but either one will be a good choice :D

Tony:)

dannytwo 02 May 2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 9376273)
Gems is mafless ;) and its a very good ecu, teh simtek gives you just as much though (except the knock correction for the time being unless they have released the patch?) but either one will be a good choice :D

Cheers for the advice guys.

Tony,how does the gems let you know about knock? or is it different for each mapper?

joz8968 02 May 2010 02:48 PM

I'm pretty certain the GEMS does have a good ign adv/ret feature too...

I remember reading a magazine (Jap Per IIRC) article where they bought a v.3 (or v.4) white STi wagon and the ECU 'saved' the engine after the journalist had been on track. ;)

TonyBurns 02 May 2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dannytwo (Post 9376301)
Cheers for the advice guys.

Tony,how does the gems let you know about knock? or is it different for each mapper?

http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=impreza-implant

It will cut back boost and the multiplier when it sees knock, the simtek would give you a visual warning (soon to be corrected if it hasnt already been).

joz8968 02 May 2010 02:55 PM

Yeah at the mo, the Simtek flashes a CEL for knock (a la the PFC)... but, as TB says, there is allegedly a software patch coming soon where it will allow active ign adv/ret (allowing it to function similar to the OEM JECS ECU)... ;)

dannytwo 02 May 2010 03:19 PM

The exact Gems ecu i'm on about is the Gems em20,as far as i know this is quite an old ecu now,so would the simtek be better then it.

joz8968 02 May 2010 03:23 PM

There are also "version 1" versions of Simtek boards too, I believe.

If you do go Simtek, then by that rationale (and if buying 2nd hand), then ensure you get the latest incarnation of it....

dannytwo 02 May 2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9376354)
There are also "version 1" versions of Simtek boards too, I believe.

If you do go Simtek, then by that rationale (and if buying 2nd hand), then ensure you get the latest incarnation of it....

Hi mate
Could you explain this a bit more please
Cheers

joz8968 02 May 2010 04:12 PM

Older 'boards' with less software 'features', I believe. Quite basic - not as good as what is now available

Indeed, even a PFC is more 'desirable' than the older Simtek.

This might be for only MY93-96 cars though - not sure about the other MYs.

dannytwo 02 May 2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9376409)
Older 'boards' with less software 'features', I believe. Quite basic - not as good as what is now available

Indeed, even a PFC is more 'desirable' than the older Simtek.

This might be for only MY93-96 cars though - not sure about the other MYs.

This one is for the MY 01 onwards so should be the better board then, hopefully!

joz8968 02 May 2010 04:52 PM

Yeah, therefore bound to be latest technology, obviously. :)