ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Is it right that I sould pay more for an import ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/83024-is-it-right-that-i-sould-pay-more-for-an-import.html)

druddle 27 March 2002 03:23 PM

Is it right that I should pay more for insurance for an EU import UK-spec car than I should for a UK sourced UK-spec car ?

Dave

BL 27 March 2002 03:28 PM

You should not have to pay a penny extra for a european import!!

druddle 27 March 2002 03:37 PM

I have just been told by Diamond that because of the grey-import scene, all cars not sourced from the UK are classed as imports, no matter if I can provide a letter from Toyota Denmark to say that the new car we have bought is UK spec :( :(

Maybe Tom/Rum @ Schofields can qualify this.

Dave

druddle 27 March 2002 04:08 PM

Adrian Flux agreed with you BL !!

BL 27 March 2002 04:51 PM

My Belgian MY02 is insured through Tesco's & when i told them where it was from, they turned round & said 'we dont need to know that'!!!

druddle 27 March 2002 04:56 PM

It was the fiance that told them it was an import. Wont let her ring up for insurance again ;)

Out of interest, if you dont tell them, can they refuse cover ? Bearing in mind it is Uk spec, uk car but from Denmark ?

BL 27 March 2002 05:06 PM

You must let them know & tell them it is a European sourced import not asian & is therefore treated the same as a UK sourced car!!

Hammer that at them & they'll get the idea. If they still say no, then ask to speak to the underwriters.

My policy is covered under a UK car, but the notes states European import.

[Edited by BL - 3/27/2002 5:06:53 PM]

seejay555 27 March 2002 05:18 PM

Why on earth would you not want to tell them where the car is from??

druddle 27 March 2002 06:07 PM

Spoke to Diamond's underwriters (had to use them cos my fiance is policyholder and has no ncd and is 20) and they said that because its imported from outside the UK then you have to pay more, no matter what spec it is. Guess i'm stumped then. Still we saved 2 grand on the car ;)

Harry_Boy 28 March 2002 12:23 AM

Hi Mate - completely absurd situation. I've owned two EU imports (second is a MY02 WRX from Belgium), and the insurers are not bothered.

It's only if it's a grey import that they get shirtly, becasue it might cost more to repair with parts that are harder to source. EU imports are parallel imports, ie they are to the same spec, and built in the same factories as cars officially sold through the Uk dealer network. If your insurer can't grasp this basic fact, then you should try another one. 99% of insurance cos won't make any distinction at all. Tescos, Direct Line, the whole lot....

druddle 28 March 2002 11:54 AM

Spoke to Tom from Schofields earlier and he basically confirmed what I was thinking. Insurers and underwriters can write what they want into their policies, they are the ones who have to pay out after all, and they are not all set out in the same way.

Oh well.

P.S. Thanks Tom, what a thoroughly decent bloke for taking the time to call me.

GammonRoll 30 March 2002 09:31 PM

Can I just add that I wouldn't insure with them anyway mate. Wife was victim of nose to tail bump from behind in Nov 2000. Still not settled and we had to pay for repairs and renew with no claims discount lost - AND IT WASN'T HER FAULT!!!

Gamm

druddle 01 April 2002 08:10 AM

Cheers for the advice Gamm, but they are over 6oo quid cheaper than anyone else !! Fingers crossed she wont have a prang and then off to someone else after the first year !!